P1000 Led lightbar install?

Trailrider

Trailrider

Sep 22, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was wondering if yall was putting relays on your light bars are just wiring them up through a blue sea fuse block. If just wiring them up what size wiring are you using?

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
BD1B04A6 1696 41B1 A96A FB324CF4D7CF

wire size is based on current draw... how many amps will you be pulling? Look at the chart for that current and see the wire size needed...

Most switches are good for 10-20 amps... ish... if pulling more than your switch can handle, you will need a relay.

FredD

J

JTW

View attachment 115395

wire size is based on current draw... how many amps will you be pulling? Look at the chart for that current and see the wire size needed...

Most switches are good for 10-20 amps... ish... if pulling more than your switch can handle, you will need a relay.

FredD
Exactly... wattage of your light(s) divided by voltage (12) equals your amp draw. 15 amp is usually what I try to stay within when going thru a switch.

Reactions: RedFred1
Trailrider

Trailrider

Sep 22, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So if they are 18w led cubes no need for a relay just go thru switch and my ble sea fuse block?

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What about 4-45w LED cubes? 180w, probably 150-160ish realistically. It’s currently going straight to switch and fuse box with 15amp fuse. Relay needed? Size of relay? Thanks.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What about 4-45w LED cubes? 180w, probably 150-160ish realistically. It’s currently going straight to switch and fuse box with 15amp fuse. Relay needed? Size of relay? Thanks.
180w= 15a.
If your not blowing that 15a fuse then your good without a relay. There most likley not pulling a full 180w anyways. 150-160w is good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3

9E125F19 1EEE 4E8D 89B3 ED29F712C629

Look at the chart... That chart is set up for 12volts DC circuits... next to the amps in the white amperage box lists watts at 12vdc.

1. Total up the watts of the cubes you need, or whatever the device you are trying to power, then look at the chart for the listed watts.

2. Note the wire size you need based on the length of the circuit you will run.

3. Once you get the watts and amps, you can look at the size of your switch to see it it can handle that current. If it is not rated for the current, you will need a relay or a different switch.

4. Relays are sized by taking the projected load and multiplying it by a safety factor. 125% of load is generally enough. So, for example, if your load is 20 amps, 20x1.25 = 25amps. Buy a relay that can handle 25, or more amps with a 12vdc coil and you will be good to go. Oversize your relay if the number comes out to a size not generally used, so, lets say you calculated you need a relay for 33 amps... go to 35 or 40 amp relay.

Use the chart and you will be able to quickly find out what you need. I printed a copy and stuck it in with my wiring stuff... I’m old and got CRS setting in... they told me when you get old, your mind is the second thing to go... I can’t remember the first...

FredD

Last edited:
A

AZguy

Aug 25, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 115646

Look at the chart... That chart is set up for 12volts DC circuits... next to the amps in the white amperage box lists watts at 12vdc.

1. Total up the watts of the cubes you need, or whatever the device you are trying to power, then look at the chart for the listed watts.

2. Note the wire size you need based on the length of the circuit you will run.

3. Once you get the watts and amps, you can look at the size of your switch to see it it can handle that current. If it is not rated for the current, you will need a relay or a different switch.

4. Relays are sized by taking the projected load and multiplying it by a safety factor. 125% of load is generally enough. So, for example, if your load is 20 amps, 20x1.25 = 25amps. Buy a relay that can handle 25, or more amps with a 12vdc coil and you will be good to go. Oversize your relay if the number comes out to a size not generally used, so, lets say you calculated you need a relay for 33 amps... go to 35 or 40 amp relay.

Use the chart and you will be able to quickly find out what you need. I printed a copy and stuck it in with my wiring stuff... I’m old and got CRS setting in... they told me when you get old, your mind is the second thing to go... I can’t remember the first...

FredD
Your hair

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!