P500 Let’s do a recap of options for the front end

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I thought it might help some (including myself) to do a recap of the options we P500 owners have for the front end of our machines-bumpers and winch mount locations to date. So if I understand correctly it is as follows:

WInch mount options-without adding a bumper you can mount it low with the Honda mount plate or get a mount plate of your own and pick how high or low you want it on the stock bumper/push bar as I call it.

For bumpers looks like we have 3 options:

-Honda oem bumper
-Strong Made
-Bison

Now winch mounting options with those three bumpers-

Honda bumper-can be mounted low or higher. Also does KFI mount work with Honda bumper-KFI mount seems to be the mount of choice for most..

Strong Made bumper-winch can mount directly on top of the bumper sitting up fairly high. OR can be mounted below the bumper. What mount works with this bumper if you choose to mount it below the strong made?

Bison-can mount the winch with Honda winch mount plate. Does the KFI mount work with the bison bumper?

I think that’s our options. Is This info correct? Feel free to correct me if this is incorrect and add anything to it that you have.

I know the winch I want. But not sure how I’d like to mount it. If I went strong made I’d probably mount the winch under the bumper. Honda bumper and KFI mount sounds like a safe option. I’m not sure if the KFI mount works with bison. You’d think someone would come out with a bumper for the P5 that the winch would mount in behind it with the fairlead on the outside of the bumper.

Reactions: Bastardchild
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
IMO, mounting the winch up high is the way to go especially for plowing, much better angle for lifting the blade. Probably more wear on the winch being down low, seems like it would be wet all the time. That Bison bumper is BA, wasn't available when I got mine.

Reactions: HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
IMO, mounting the winch up high is the way to go especially for plowing, much better angle for lifting the blade. Probably more wear on the winch being down low, seems like it would be wet all the time. That Bison bumper is BA, wasn't available when I got mine.

Yeah for plowing I agree with the winch higher up like on the strong made bumper.

I really like the bison bumper. But I’m not sure where to mount the winch at with one. Haven’t found much on it

Reactions: trigger
luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Preety sure kfi does not work with bison need to use low mount.i like the look of the bison but I prefer the higher mount so I used the kfi mount.over the winter I came across a good deal on the strong made and put that on.very happy with it.like to go off the trail sometimes and the strong made is perfect for that

Reactions: HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Preety sure kfi does not work with bison need to use low mount.i like the look of the bison but I prefer the higher mount so I used the kfi mount.over the winter I came across a good deal on the strong made and put that on.very happy with it.like to go off the trail sometimes and the strong made is perfect for that

In this pic of the bison would or could the winch not come out through where the curved part of the stock bumpers is? Is there a solid plate behind that?

2D7921BA 3EC3 4B8F B27D F9E2DAB4BAE9

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I wonder if you could modify a KFI mounting plate to fit behind that grille in front. Put the fair lead in the grille.

I’m sure it’s possible. I was looking at the detailed pics of the bison on the amazon listing. Definitely no way to mount the winch without going to the lowest mounting point having to use a Honda mount. But it does look like it could be modified. Idk why they made the bison attach that way. Yes I do it was the easy simple way. They could have easily given the option for winch mounting at either location. I’m starting to think KFI mount with Honda oem bumper is for me. I love the strong made but just don’t want the winch up the high nor down at the lowest point underneath it. Oh well

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!