pit

My new baby!
Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2018
Cartersville, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
InkedIMG 3573 LI
So I'm finally getting some time to start planning how exactly I'm going to start the hemorrhage of cash, I mean mods, and after lots of reading on here, the obvious first step is getting the 2nd battery in place. I've got 2 main questions to get some advice on before I get started:

1. I'm going with the under the hood option and I've seen the main two choices on here are the Odyssey PC925 and the Mighty Max 26-12. $187 vs $55 seems like a no brainer, but which did you choose and why?

2. I had the winch installed by the dealer at purchase time, so I'm not real sure on the wiring. I studied the installation instructions from the Honda accessory website and it appears to me (see attached pic):
-the black cables with yellow and blue tape coming out of the bottom of the contactor are the power cables going to winch
-the black cable with the blue tape coming out the right side of the contactor is the winch sub harness
-the larger black cable coming out of the left side of the contactor is the winch battery cable that runs to the starter relay and then the red cable runs back to the stock battery.

So if this is all correct, is the only cable I have to change is the red cable from the starter relay to stock battery so that it goes from starter relay to 2nd battery? I'm sure this is a simple question, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and not break something that is working perfectly fine right now!

Reactions: BWAF
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
#2.
A - Correct. That is the winch contactor main power. It should be moved to the second battery.
But, do you have a switch panel or other accessories? If so, that primary feed needs moved as well. Leaving only key on power trigger wire, and/or switch backlights on OEM system.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pit

pit

My new baby!
Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2018
Cartersville, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
#2.
A - Correct. That is the winch contactor main power. It should be moved to the second battery.
But, do you have a switch panel or other accessories? If so, that primary feed needs moved as well. Leaving only key on power trigger wire, and/or switch backlights on OEM system.

I don't have the switch panel yet, but I am making a parts list to order and install once I have the 2nd battery in. I'm leaning towards Eltobgi's set up on this thread Dual Batteries The Easy Way. I wouldn't need to move the primary feed to the 2nd in this setup would I?

Reactions: BWAF
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I don't have the switch panel yet, but I am making a parts list to order and install once I have the 2nd battery in. I'm leaning towards Eltobgi's set up on this thread Dual Batteries The Easy Way. I wouldn't need to move the primary feed to the 2nd in this setup would I?
Idk..
I'm more of a simple isolator guy. 3 wires and done.

The goal is to get the accessory power draw off the primary battery so the OEM system keeps 12+ volts at all times. So, with that in mind. I would still say yes for the winch power.

There are several ways to get this done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: pit and BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had the odyssey battery in my last machine. I think its definitely the best money can buy and I'm usually a "buy once cry once" kind of guy. I dont like when stuff fails and I have to replace it.

That being said. I think I'm going to try the mighty max. It wasn't available when i bought my last one. Its 1/3 the price, and i can replace it in five minutes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

pit

pit

My new baby!
Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2018
Cartersville, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im working on getting the winch onto the aux battery and i’m not sure if I’m looking at it right. The power wire from the witch relay goes to what I think is the switch on relay and then the power wire from the switch on relay goes to the stock battery. This red wire from the switch on relay and the other 2red wires from the fuse box are stock and should not be changed (see pic). The wire from the winch relay to switch on needs to be moved to a separate relay that then goes to the aux battery? Is this correct? Just trying not to fry my winch

985C25EB 5CE9 48C3 B244 C334AAB0B3F4 013CBF44 8F8D 48DE B440 7AB381597D46

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I am in the same spot as you...

I have been installing the factory wiring and winch. The critical draw is the winch power... those leads need to go to the new battery. The control voltage for the solenoid could be left as is on the factory battery without any issue. Any new circuits for lights and other gegaws should be wired to new relays, fuses, switches, etc powered from the new battery. Your isolator goes between the new and old battery and your grounds go to the frame individually not daisy chained.

Did you get the control pendant mounted in the glove box? That and other factory wiring harnesses interconnect with the factory back up beeper and horn button. No real reason to change it.

That is the approach I am taking...

HTH

FredD

Reactions: pit
T

Tincan

Oct 1, 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi guys, I'm finally getting to installing my winch ( Champion 4500) and want to install the solenoid just like in the picture but how do I get underneath? Is the solenoid the this picture screwed down? or bolted?

Thanks.

View attachment 84631 So I'm finally getting some time to start planning how exactly I'm going to start the hemorrhage of cash, I mean mods, and after lots of reading on here, the obvious first step is getting the 2nd battery in place. I've got 2 main questions to get some advice on before I get started:

1. I'm going with the under the hood option and I've seen the main two choices on here are the Odyssey PC925 and the Mighty Max 26-12. $187 vs $55 seems like a no brainer, but which did you choose and why?

2. I had the winch installed by the dealer at purchase time, so I'm not real sure on the wiring. I studied the installation instructions from the Honda accessory website and it appears to me (see attached pic):
-the black cables with yellow and blue tape coming out of the bottom of the contactor are the power cables going to winch
-the black cable with the blue tape coming out the right side of the contactor is the winch sub harness
-the larger black cable coming out of the left side of the contactor is the winch battery cable that runs to the starter relay and then the red cable runs back to the stock battery.

So if this is all correct, is the only cable I have to change is the red cable from the starter relay to stock battery so that it goes from starter relay to 2nd battery? I'm sure this is a simple question, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and not break something that is working perfectly fine right now!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!