Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm curious if anyone has looked into options for lightweight recovery gear. I have plenty of Clevis' and a big snatch block as well as some straps. All of which have a very high load rating but are also quite heavy. I'd like to shave some weight on the kit and it would also improve ease of use. I don't think I need a 10 ton rated clevis to pull out a 1500lb machine.

NOW, granted these machines can haul plenty of weight but i'm more concerned about overland trips and back country trips. You find yourself with a lot of gear and every little bit counts. Plus the lighter it is the better the machine will handle the voyage.

I have an extra 50ft winch cable to use as a tow strap. So I'm looking for a lightweight snatch block and something lighter than a typical clevis.

I have used some carabiner's for towing logs and such and they have worked well. I've drug large trees with them and never had an issue. They are a lot quicker and easier to handle than a clevis.

Most common carabiners for climbing are rated at 25 KN
A 25KN carabiner is rated at 5500 lbft of force
A 30KN carabiner is rated at 6700 lbft of force

https://www.amazon.com/AYAMAYA-Aluminum-Climbing-Carabiner-Screwgate/dp/B01A5DXN96/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Remember they are always stronger than what the rating is. I think either rating would suffice for what I am doing.

Has anyone tried these when towing a machine?
Any snatch block recommendations?
Any other recommendations for lightweight gear?

Reactions: Tigermark and BWAF
J

JTW

I’ve started to swap some of my stuff out for just a couple 1/2” clevis’s.. I’ve yet to use my snatch block. But if you’re wanting light weight. Soft shackles are where it’s at! I’ve got a couple hanging on the rig. Stronger than a carabiner and lighter than a clevis.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ve started to swap some of my stuff out for just a couple 1/2” clevis’s.. I’ve yet to use my snatch block. But if you’re wanting light weight. Soft shackles are where it’s at! I’ve got a couple hanging on the rig. Stronger than a carabiner and lighter than a clevis.

Is that the fancy knot thing that kilo has?

I take a couple small sling loops too.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I have used and abused them they weigh nothing and work like a charm, if I had a spool of Amsteel I would make abunch more

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, I have one soft shackle that gets used way more than any of my clevis’s, they have a lot of options out there ranging in price that look about the same quality ... not sure which one to get but I started with a bubba rope one (more $$ option) and it has worked great. Would like to pick up one more

I also have mini Mac rigging line - that has seen a bunch of use as well - need to get @Kilo427 to make up some of these.

Snatch block - I don’t know there is still going to be some weight there but the small Warn one weighs less & takes up less room than the cheaper snatch block I have... and my snatch blocks have been used several times, a couple of this time we probably could have gotten away without but would have had to reposition the recovery sxs a lot more . Several times it was not happening with out a snatch block.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I had a small 5k snatch block that was in my atv bag. It must have got wet at some point and rusted solid, but I've yet to find another one smaller than 10k. I'm sure I could find one online if I looked, but I'm pretty sure this one came from a tractor supply type store.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a small 5k snatch block that was in my atv bag. It must have got wet at some point and rusted solid, but I've yet to find another one smaller than 10k. I'm sure I could find one online if I looked, but I'm pretty sure this one came from a tractor supply type store.
I've been having a tough time finding anything under 10-20k

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

J

JTW

65C458E7 A8A4 445F B0E7 B987E0CD5086

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tundra20

Tundra20

Supporting Member
Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dont mean to hack a thread change the subject but how many of yal have run a piece of angle iron alongside the bottom of door and if so u weld it or bolt it on bout to order new skid plate 1/2 inch so wana get some ideas as to strengthen this area
Thanks

J

JTW

Dont mean to hack a thread change the subject but how many of yal have run a piece of angle iron alongside the bottom of door and if so u weld it or bolt it on bout to order new skid plate 1/2 inch so wana get some ideas as to strengthen this area
Thanks
Like this.. there are several existing threads about it. 2”x 1/4” angle bolted through. Works great!
BAC3E6B9 DC8D 4C15 ABA8 DB6765277556
2C52CDCB F921 4E45 B2F7 F17E734F2C7F
5BEC04D5 8515 4DA8 8AAB 3DDC906FF895

Tundra20

Tundra20

Supporting Member
Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cool thank you that looks great i was thinkin bolt thru metal may b to thin for a good weld job idk
Thanks again

J

JTW

Cool thank you that looks great i was thinkin bolt thru metal may b to thin for a good weld job idk
Thanks again
I’ve had no issue with the bolts.. everything is still tight and it gets beat on more than most machines.

Reactions: Tundra20

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!