BOX1

P500 Like an idiot.....

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
45 minutes of daylight left, head to the spring to fill water jugs (5miles). Won’t restart. F! Could hear fuel pump but no crank. My ‘survival box’ wasn’t on so no tools. Couple minutes of trouble shooting. Time to hike out. No phone service either for a mile or so and I’m 10%. Sketchy spot to leave it also. Lucky that someone found a someone else and picked me up a couple miles later. He only had a ratchet strap but I down for it. He’s known for hustlin his Tundra on these backroads. Six or seven feet of strap and hold on! Got home and as he said ‘you sit there and think about what you’ve done’ Probably shouldn’t have pushed the battery to 7 years. Probably shouldn’t take box off among other probably shouldn’ts.......

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I recently replaced my P5 battery at 7 years (still working OK) just because I was worried about having a similar situation. I keep it on a battery tender for a spare. It also fits my Rancher (same part #) and my 2 Recons. Same side to side dimensions and about an inch taller than the OEM Recon battery. Yuasa makes a dang good battery. I paid about $100 + shipping, from an out of state Honda dealer. I could not find one around here or on Amazon or any other vendors at the time. Everyone was on backorder.

Last edited:
KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Cables and jump pack in survival box. I deserved a little walk....
If it makes you feel better... that is something I would do!

I have all the needed recovery gear, the jump box, first aid kit.... I haul it all around because I know as long as it is on the buggy, I won't need it. Just watch... The one time I leave any of it at home will be the time I need it.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Took me all day to find a 16H. At a stealership that most people aren’t fond of. $150. Seems like a deal considering I’m shopping lithiums right now to power the house......

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Welp.....had a small window of time yesterday to slide in new battery. Old was 12.2v, new 12.8v. No go but I wasn’t surprised. I’ll troubleshoot hopefully this weekend. Pump jumps, dash lights up but I suspect the starter. I wonder if you shorten the life of it with a barely strong enough battery?????

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
I finally got around to putting in a new starter and solenoid yesterday. Kept the new battery charged all winter. No start. With key on gear selector shows a -. Won’t try to crank unless brake pedal is depressed. And when I say ‘try’ that’s basically it’s doing. Not actually cranking. I can disconnect battery and get an ‘L’ if I manipulate it before cranking after reattaching. Here’s where it gets good. Turn key to off after trying to start and dash stays lit up. Has the flashing engine light and the solid temp light also and doesn’t shut off till disconnected. Oh boy……

• Wow
Reactions: CID
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I finally got around to putting in a new starter and solenoid yesterday. Kept the new battery charged all winter. No start. With key on gear selector shows a -. Won’t try to crank unless brake pedal is depressed. And when I say ‘try’ that’s basically it’s doing. Not actually cranking. I can disconnect battery and get an ‘L’ if I manipulate it before cranking after reattaching. Here’s where it gets good. Turn key to off after trying to start and dash stays lit up. Has the flashing engine light and the solid temp light also and doesn’t shut off till disconnected. Oh boy……
I'm pretty sure, well at least I think I am, that there is a thread on here somewhere about the display staying on after the key is turned off. Maybe they had to change out the ignition switch?

Reactions: KyGal83
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!