BOX1

Limp mode

themightymet

themightymet

May 2, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I'm in West Virginia riding and my transmission has gone in to limp mode. I had to limp it back 70 miles yesterday. If I shut the machine off and restart and immediately switch to manual shift I can go a few miles before it kicks me back to limp or stays in whatever gear I am in. Is there anything I can do? I'm not looking forward to sitting around the camp all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

themightymet

themightymet

May 2, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Should have put this in above. I have a 2016 P10005 EPS.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't find my service manual, I misplaced it somewhere.

Hopefully someone else who hasn't can help.

themightymet

themightymet

May 2, 2017
Northeast Ohio
The power steering light on the dash flashes when the vehicle is moving. Would this put it in limp mode?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm in West Virginia riding and my transmission has gone in to limp mode. I had to limp it back 70 miles yesterday. If I shut the machine off and restart and immediately switch to manual shift I can go a few miles before it kicks me back to limp or stays in whatever gear I am in. Is there anything I can do? I'm not looking forward to sitting around the camp all day.

Can you show a picture of your dash so we can see the trouble codes? I have the manual with me so I may can help.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine acted kinda like that the other day. Drove it to work then it rained. Ran perfect for bout half a mile then it wouldn't shift out of 1st and limited rpms to around 5k. I restarted it couple times and finally started working normal. I need to write down codes and keep them in glove box. Also need to put dielectric grease on all connections.

Reactions: joeymt33
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If it is the EPS light flickering, it might be a loose ground/battery connection. Have you checked all the grounds under the driver's seat flap? Make sure they are all snapped in good and make sure your batter cables aren't "wiggly".

It could be that when it is sitting still after cranking that everything has a good connection and then you hit a rough spot/bump and it breaks connection for a second and it goes into limp mode to protect the clutches until you shut it off.

themightymet

themightymet

May 2, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I checked the battery and the main ground to the engine. I also checked all the plugs I could reach.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Check these grounds....

D0a3039768ac61cc285d0854101a9d47

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I had a problem like that turned out accessory fuse which didn't make sense and I couldn't reproduce it by pulling it back out.
Check all fuse and ground like people are saying. Easy fix but unfortunate sucks to happen out camping I know the deal so I'm sorry. A few too many electronics for an off road vehicle imho. Hopefully you can be up and going soon!

Last edited:
themightymet

themightymet

May 2, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Thanks for the responses guys. I was unable to find anything. It's scheduled to go to the dealership on the 17th. Hopefully they can shed some light on the situation.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the responses guys. I was unable to find anything. It's scheduled to go to the dealership on the 17th. Hopefully they can shed some light on the situation.

Please let us know what you find out. You may teach us something.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's the problem with electronic glitches. They rarely resurface while machine is in service dept. And totally agree with CP...way too complicated for a sxs.

B

Byrdman

May 21, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let me/us know what you find. I took mine out for a ride yesterday and after going through lug nut deep mud/water, transmission flashed 1st gear. I rode this way until I got to an area I could get my truck and trailer too and then turned it off and back on and the problem went away and didn't repeat itself. If I had to guess I got water in a wire somewhere but on my first trip I took weeks back, I went in lug nut deep water with no issues so I'm not sure.

themightymet

themightymet

May 2, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Sorry for not replying to this sooner. I took it to the dealer and they discovered I had a loose ground on the motor. Dirt had got between the ring terminal and the motor causing it to break the circuit every time I hit a bump. All seems well now.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry for not replying to this sooner. I took it to the dealer and they discovered I had a loose ground on the motor. Dirt had got between the ring terminal and the motor causing it to break the circuit every time I hit a bump. All seems well now.

Thanks for the followup. Appreciate it!

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Little things can be so frustrating.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!