Linkage Adjustment

O

oakescharles

Dec 19, 2013
Merry Christmas Everyone!

I bought a p-4 several months ago and I love it. Quick Question, Has anyone adjusted their shift linkage, and if so what does it in tell?

Attachments

• 1383351_10200442245893314_112288516_n.jpg
    1383351_10200442245893314_112288516_n.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,622
Reactions: Smitty335
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome Oaks,
Glad to have you as part of out community.
I haven't adjusted mine yet. Don't need to now that I have learned how to handle it.
Don't baby it. Jerk it into gear and it will go every time.
Now that I have been doing that. It either got smoother or I have become accustom to it. But I no longer have issues with it not wanting to change.
Merry Christmas.
Thanks.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Merry Christmas and welcome to the forum. It takes a bit of effort to get it into gear that is the nature of a gear driven trans vs a belt drive, just make sure it knows who's boss. Mine has loosened up some with use and I don't even think about it except when I let someone else drive and they try to change the first time. If you do have to make adjustments, its not too bad you can adjust it to some extent from under the hood. Just make small changes and note the changes (ex 1.5 rotations clockwise on nut) you made so if it made it worse while actually using it, you can reset close to where it was. I do this and it keeps my blood-pressure where it should be and the wrenches from being stuck in the garage walls.

Reactions: CFECO
O

oakescharles

Dec 19, 2013
I put it drive and its trying to jump out and its not fully seating in the D Slot on the console. Are yours similar?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
oakescharles said:
I put it drive and its trying to jump out and its not fully seating in the D Slot on the console. Are yours similar?

It's tight on both ends (D & R) on mine but it has the curl in the cutout in the dash plate that holds it in.

bfair

bfair

Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2013
Here are the steps to adjust the linkage.

Adjust1 zpsb9a92108

Adjust2 zps5f3c3c4b

Adjust3 zps03ed3b7c

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks bfair I just got home and was scanning mine to put on the forum.

R

Rebal

Dec 18, 2017
Shedd,Oregon
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Mine shifts hard till engine warms up. Got stuck in 2wheel drive. Could not shift from drive to reverse to back out. put in 4 wheel drive and drove out. Has anyone else had this problem?

IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Jan 6, 2024
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Service Manual instructions did not satisfy me to do a linkage adjustment. There are 2 places you can access the linkage cable: under the battery and the 3" lever under the seat at the front of the Tranny. The lever has very definite "stops" at its different positions. In terms of adjustment, the most important one is the last one (Low Range). If this one is adjusted properly, all the rest should be as well.

There is simply a cotter pin securing the cable-end to the 3" lever. Disconnect the cable-end, put the lever and the cable-end independently in the Low position. The lever shaft should align with the hole of the cable-end. There is no adjustment at this end of the cable, so adjustment must be done under the battery. There, it's easiest to use a 19 MM open-end wrench and a pair of needle-nose ViceGrips. Use the wrench on the lower nut and the ViceGrips where needed. Adjust the cable to positively push the lever into the Low Range position. If the rest of the lever positions don't coincide with the cut-out on the dash, you've got bigger problems. Finally, use a Q-tip to grease the edges of the dash cut-out. You're good to go.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!