BOX1

P500 Loading on Trailer

RobbieS

RobbieS

Nov 26, 2016
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Trying to figure out whether or not to load up going forwards or backwards on the trailer (Zieman F-511 single axle). I would like to keep the tongue weight down, but not sure how the weight is distributed on my new P-500, or how to figure it out??

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Trying to figure out whether or not to load up going forwards or backwards on the trailer (Zieman F-511 single axle). I would like to keep the tongue weight down, but not sure how the weight is distributed on my new P-500, or how to figure it out??
Personally, I load mine facing forward with the weight of the engine over the axle.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I agree. I have a 5X10 trailer and load it so that the front tires are touching the front raill, and it pulls great at 75+ MPH.

Reactions: PioneerPapaw
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Take your trailer and P5 to a commercial truck scales and weigh it. Moving the P5 afew inches forward or back on the trailer deck will make the difference you'll need to get the correct tongue weight on your trailer. Your tongue weight should be between 10% & 15%; so if trailer and P5 weigh 2,000 lbs, you should have a tongue weight of between 200 and 300 lbs. I'm lucky, our scales are open and free in the evenings. See my post [HASHTAG]#208[/HASHTAG] in "Options for hauling the P500 in a short bed??" for some numbers. The P5 is pretty well balanced depending on the gear you've bolted to it. I like hauling my P5 frontwards... it more 'aerodynamic' that way.
Al

Last edited:
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
on a 5x8 trailer had negative tongue weight loading forward and minimal tongue weight backwards. Above 60 it began swaying so I had to buy some bags of sackcrete to give it some tongue weight. Looking for a 5x12 or 6x12trailer.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
My 5x10 trailer has worked out well with the P500 facing forward. If you have the storage room a 6x10 or 6x12 makes loading/unloading easier. With my Raptor tires I only have about 3" clearance on a side.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
If you are looking at a new trailer, you might consider enclosed. I have a 6 x 12 enclosed Lark trailer, Inside dimensions are 11'-4" L (13'-2" to V-nose) x 5'-8" W x 6'-6" H - Door is 5'-3" W x 6'-0-1/2" H. My 2017 fits fine, open trailer side access door, drive in forward, set brake, exit through passenger side. Tie down on 4 corners and your done. Plus I like the "out of sight, out of mind" concept that no one knows whats inside. I did end up getting the EMP aluminum roof because I didn't think the OEM roof would fit. Tongue weight is good with this combination, I did however replace the bias-ply tires with radials and it tracks great behind my Touareg at 75mph.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
If you are looking at a new trailer, you might consider enclosed. I have a 6 x 12 enclosed Lark trailer, Inside dimensions are 11'-4" L (13'-2" to V-nose) x 5'-8" W x 6'-6" H - Door is 5'-3" W x 6'-0-1/2" H. My 2017 fits fine, open trailer side access door, drive in forward, set brake, exit through passenger side. Tie down on 4 corners and your done. Plus I like the "out of sight, out of mind" concept that no one knows whats inside. I did end up getting the EMP aluminum roof because I didn't think the OEM roof would fit. Tongue weight is good with this combination, I did however replace the bias-ply tires with radials and it tracks great behind my Touareg at 75mph.

Everything is a trade off. Would love to have an enclosed trailer, but then a place to store is a bigger problem as is a bigger better tow vehicle $$$$$. I tow twice a year 3,000 miles so add higher fuel costs too. :(

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Looking for enclosed trailer now, 16 ft. Need 75 in high door with OEM roof and 27 tires. Do you like the lark?

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Looking for enclosed trailer now, 16 ft. Need 75 in high door with OEM roof and 27 tires. Do you like the lark?
Hi Mudder,
Yes the Lark has been great, made three trips loaded moving from Michigan to Alabama. Only bad thing, after 1-1/2 trips the bias ply tires were badly worn, replaced with radials and now have two spares, very little wear on the radials. Took the P500 hunting in Michigan this past fall pulled great behind the Touareg. Think you will be happy if you get one.

Reactions: trigger
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!