P500 Location for new winch and fuse box breakers?

R

rsttoole

Sep 22, 2018
Boise, id
Ownership

1. 500
I am getting ready to mount new in line breakers for both my winch and my new fuse box. I currently have the winch fuse mounted in the battery box that came with my superwinch. I want to get rid of it and mount two new Bussman waterproof breakers. One for my winch and one for my fuse box. Hoping there is a good location behind or under the seat. Where have others mounted the new breakers? I have a new two lug terminal that I will added to the battery to help with congestion on that terminal.
Thanks for the help. Pictures are appreciated.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I extended power from stock battery box along the frame rail to under hood, as I recall used #4 welding cable. Once power was under hood connected to Blue Sea Mini add a battery kit along with winch Relay, second battery, fuse block for auxiliary gear and waterproof breaker. Installed secondary battery (Odyssey 925c) in steel ammo can along with breaker and fuse block. Electrical is set up such that all auxiliary gear, winch, lights run off the Odyssey and main battery is for starting only. System has ran flawlessly since early 2015. If I did it again I’d look at mounting auxiliary battery under the driver’s seat in a waterproof battery box, then would be more storage under hood. Blue Sea add a battery kit is a quality unit, monitors and charges which ever battery needs it automatically, plus other setting. Pix in link.
Cheers,
j

R

rsttoole

Sep 22, 2018
Boise, id
Ownership

1. 500
I currently have 6 ga to the winch solenoid. I tied my 12" light bar to that connection. There is a noticeable drop in brightness when I run the winch due to the voltage drop. Others have suggested a seperate line from the battery for the fuse box and lights with the winch on its own lead from the battery. Thoughts one way or the other?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I’ll preface this by saying mine is set up as a work machine for very remote areas, meaning I’m on my own, thus the twin battery system. A winch will draw down lots of power and I’m not surprised you’re light bar will drop in brightness. Not sure how many amps both are pulling and if you leave the engine running, so it’s hard to say if you wire separately if lights would dim when winching. I’d compare battery reserve amps and current draw of auxiliary gear, then see how much power #6 gauge can handle. Might find that #6 gauge is good for your auxiliary lights and you need to run heavier gauge for winch.

Reactions: Splorin
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I should add I only use the winch when plowing snow

Ok well yes, ploughing snow especially with lots of winch cycles will run your battery down. Particularly if you don’t have the rpms up on the engine. Put a battery charger on it to top up the battery can help, between plough sessions. If you have extended ploughing, look into an auxiliary battery system and as mentioned earlier look to install under the driver’s set. Lots of room there for an AGM type battery. AGM type batteries are much more robust then standard lead/acid ones, can be ran flat and will charge right up to 100% capacity. Lead/acid will not charge back to 100% once ran flat. Nice thing about most AGM batteries you can mount in any direction, so if you happen to tip machine on it’s side acid will not drain out.
Lastly if you put more lights on your rig look to low amp draw LED lights, I use VisionX lights, they are very low amperage draw relative to light (brightness out put).
cheers,
j

Reactions: trigger
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Mounted the circuit breaker just outside the battery, zip tied to frame in the space between the rack and the passenger seat.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Ok well yes, ploughing snow especially with lots of winch cycles will run your battery down. Particularly if you don’t have the rpms up on the engine. Put a battery charger on it to top up the battery can help, between plough sessions. If you have extended ploughing, look into an auxiliary battery system and as mentioned earlier look to install under the driver’s set. Lots of room there for an AGM type battery. AGM type batteries are much more robust then standard lead/acid ones, can be ran flat and will charge right up to 100% capacity. Lead/acid will not charge back to 100% once ran flat. Nice thing about most AGM batteries you can mount in any direction, so if you happen to tip machine on it’s side acid will not drain out.
Lastly if you put more lights on your rig look to low amp draw LED lights, I use VisionX lights, they are very low amperage draw relative to light (brightness out put).
cheers,
j

The only problem with that set up is you'd have to run an isolator. The auto ones suck and some type of bypass is needed or you can be left hanging with a full starter battery and a dead aux for your winch, so preferably the manual type. I thought about going that route but different type batteries charge and discharge at different rates and also have different resistance so you have to pay more attention to them than I cared to.
I mounted a second lead acid battery, under the drivers seat, wired in parallel with the stocker. They charge and discharge at the same rate so you're essentially just creating a larger battery bank.
Hope I don't jinx myself but I've been running this set up for 3 yrs now. Plowing, winching out of mud, have lots of lights and a stereo that would kill a lone stocker PDQ...never had a power problem. ⚡

Reactions: JCart and Duckhunt
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
The only problem with that set up is you'd have to run an isolator. The auto ones suck and some type of bypass is needed or you can be left hanging with a full starter battery and a dead aux for your winch, so preferably the manual type. I thought about going that route but different type batteries charge and discharge at different rates and also have different resistance so you have to pay more attention to them than I cared to.
I mounted a second lead acid battery, under the drivers seat, wired in parallel with the stocker. They charge and discharge at the same rate so you're essentially just creating a larger battery bank.
Hope I don't jinx myself but I've been running this set up for 3 yrs now. Plowing, winching out of mud, have lots of lights and a stereo that would kill a lone stocker PDQ...never had a power problem. ⚡

Yup need to run a battery isolator or as you’ve done run parallel, which is a great option too. The Blue Sea Mini add a battery kit includes an auto sensing isolator (for charging) with manual over ride. So it isolates the batteries (way I set up), auxiliary battery runs winch, LED lights and some other stuff. Stock battery powers all the stock stuff and remains isolated from other battery (unless you manually switch to combine them). The auto sensing monitors and charges each respective battery as needed. My first run at this I use too small of auxiliary battery, then I upgraded to larger capacity and it’s been fine. Again if I where to do it over, I’d put a large capacity under Drivers seat. Lower center of gravity, can put a huge mother under there and make for more storage under-hood. For me I wanted the isolation (with manual override) for self sufficiency as I am often miles away from support usually no Radio or cell service. (I do pack a Garmin inReach Mini and iPhone/iPad mini for work emergencies).

Reactions: trigger
GrnP500

GrnP500

Lifetime Member
Apr 21, 2019
COTXARLA
Ownership

1. 500
Mounted the circuit breaker just outside the battery, zip tied to frame in the space between the rack and the passenger seat.
@Mudder would you post a picture of your mounted breaker. I am mounting mine this weekend and could use the guidance on how you zip tied. Thanks.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@Mudder would you post a picture of your mounted breaker. I am mounting mine this weekend and could use the guidance on how you zip tied. Thanks.
Hard to get a picture. Removed both seats and zip tied it to the frame member beside the seat belt retractor. Switch front is facing the battery. I can reach in between the cab and rear fender to access the breaker.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
JCart, trigger, with all the extra storage and load any issues with charging system?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Never. Wiring them in parallel just gives you a bigger battery really. No strain on the system other than taking longer to charge and having like batteries means they do it at the same rate. Just don't skimp on the install, fat cables, solid connections and dielectric grease, you're good to go. ⚡

Reactions: Splorin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!