BOX1

Talon Looked at a Talon Today...

NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Stopped by a dealership today and looked at a Talon. Very nice machine! They only had the 2 door in stock. Wasn't even thinking about looking till my neighbor approached me about buying my 2018 Pioneer LE. The Pioneer has been great and I am satisfied with my original decision. But.....the Talon is nice!

Have a few questions for those of you that own the Talon. I am looking at the 1000X-4 Fox Live Valve!

1: I do hunt and like to go explore trails. Not necessarily blow down the road. With the Low Range in the transmission, will the low allow similar performance as the Pioneer in low?

2: Fit and finish seemed a little nicer than the Pioneer. Any quirks or rattles that will need to be addressed?

3: The Pioneer is very quite compared to the "others".... Is the Talon quiet?

4: Can anyone confirm the length and height of the 1000-X? Need to see if it will fit in the Toy Hauler

5: Anyone go from the Pioneer to the Talon? Thoughts, suggestions, or regrets on the change?

Thanks!!!!

Reactions: BWAF
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I have a RZR , a Pioneer and a Talon X . The Talon is leaps and bounds above the two .
Not fair to compare the Pioneer to the Talon . One is a sport UTILITY and the other is a full on awesome sport machine .

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Stopped by a dealership today and looked at a Talon. Very nice machine! They only had the 2 door in stock. Wasn't even thinking about looking till my neighbor approached me about buying my 2018 Pioneer LE. The Pioneer has been great and I am satisfied with my original decision. But.....the Talon is nice!

Have a few questions for those of you that own the Talon. I am looking at the 1000X-4 Fox Live Valve!

1: I do hunt and like to go explore trails. Not necessarily blow down the road. With the Low Range in the transmission, will the low allow similar performance as the Pioneer in low?

2: Fit and finish seemed a little nicer than the Pioneer. Any quirks or rattles that will need to be addressed?

4: Can anyone confirm the length and height of the 1000-X? Need to see if it will fit in the Toy Hauler

5: Anyone go from the Pioneer to the Talon? Thoughts, suggestions, or regrets on the change?

Thanks!!!!

Thanks!!!!
I had a pioneer 10003p. I saw the specs someplace gearing is very close, the only difference is in the diffs, trans the same low and high range is the same, tires are1inch larger in Dia. Reverse is slower which is nice. I have the half windshield. Depending on how tall you are will depend where it hits you. Im5'9" hits me about forehead level. Very little dust. I feel some heat through the backrest, it's warm but not hot even when 85degs out. But not between the seat and backrest like the pioneer. The engine and exhaust are father back. OAL is right about 10ft. No regrets I trail ride, much better riding, and handling. Like Huck said one is a sport machine, the other is a utility. The doors don't rattle like the Pioneer. Noise level about the same. I love the machine. Hope that helps.

Reactions: TripleB and BWAF
NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the replies.

When I purchased the Pioneer in 18 the Talon rumors were just starting. Wanted to wait, but did want to wait.... The Pioneer has served me well. Have never used the dump bed, only used the rear seats once. Usually just me and my Dad or a friend. The only gripe I have with the Pioneer is the seats get uncomfortable and the heat on warmer days.

Everything I have in my Pioneer could be hauled in Talon between the small back and the back seats.

Biggest concern I had (and it was answered) was the ability to go slow over rough terrain. Last trip I took was 40 miles of dirt road, the last few miles was rocky to a spot I fly fish. The Pioneer did good, but from what I have seen, the Talon would be much more comfortable.

RockR

RockR

Hammer Down Trail Hound
Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2019
SE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm in a lucky situation: I own both and would not part with either one. As HUCK said, they are not a fair comparison.
- For fast fun on a wide open area/trail, the Talon obviously wins, but around here (SE Texas) we don't have a lot of those kinds of trails. That being said, the Pioneer can go plenty fast enough to get you giggling.
- For an all day trail trek, the talon is more comfortable, but I've seen a few folks on this forum change the seats to buckets to solve that. Both machines are "billy goat" capable on trails in low gear. I actually prefer the Pioneer's riding position on technical trails because you can lean out and see front and rear tires easier. The Talon has more clearance and travel to keep you settled in when climbing stuff, but I've had the high center of gravity bite me on the trail too (it is pretty easy to turn back over though).
- Regarding noise: every utv is going to rattle to some extent. You just find the source and fiddle with it until it stops.
- I never had the chance to try and fit the Talon in the toy hauler with the stock tires. It is a little longer than the Pioneer so it would be a close fit. Height-wise, they should not have any issues. They look perfectly equal sitting side by side in garage.

All things considered, if I HAD to choose only one I believe I would actually go with the Pioneer. I don't think I would feel comfortable carrying hunting gear and accessories in the Talon.

Hopefully this is helpful.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have to agree with the others, both are different animals. I have a P5 & a Talon, come hunting season the Talon will get parked and the P5 will be the hunting rig. I'm not saying you couldn't use it for hunting/fishing/etc but there are other, better options out there. If I could only have one it would be a P1K Limited w the Fox shocks. Have you considered upgrading your suspension on the P1K? That would be cheaper in the long run.

M

mikegriffin84

Jun 23, 2019
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the replies.

When I purchased the Pioneer in 18 the Talon rumors were just starting. Wanted to wait, but did want to wait.... The Pioneer has served me well. Have never used the dump bed, only used the rear seats once. Usually just me and my Dad or a friend. The only gripe I have with the Pioneer is the seats get uncomfortable and the heat on warmer days.

Everything I have in my Pioneer could be hauled in Talon between the small back and the back seats.

Biggest concern I had (and it was answered) was the ability to go slow over rough terrain. Last trip I took was 40 miles of dirt road, the last few miles was rocky to a spot I fly fish. The Pioneer did good, but from what I have seen, the Talon would be much more comfortable.
The Talon can go as slow or as fast as you want. Pretty much whatever you did in the Pioneer the Talon will do but it can also rip pretty good when you want to. Low gear is great, people rock climb in this thing at 2 mph no problem. It rides rougher than most machines. PERIOD. There are tender springs kits that fix that problem up that cost in the $400 ranger I believe.

NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have to agree with the others, both are different animals. I have a P5 & a Talon, come hunting season the Talon will get parked and the P5 will be the hunting rig. I'm not saying you couldn't use it for hunting/fishing/etc but there are other, better options out there. If I could only have one it would be a P1K Limited w the Fox shocks. Have you considered upgrading your suspension on the P1K? That would be cheaper in the long run.

I have the LE. No complaints with the ride.

After reading all the responses and spending the weekend I have decided to keep the P1K LE. It is set up the way I want it, performs great, is a solid machine, and paid for! However.....I am going to keep an eye on the Talon and take a good look at the X with the Live shocks when they are back in stock. If or when there is a Talon with a factory turbo I will buy one then, and keep both.

Reactions: RockR and 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have the LE. No complaints with the ride.

After reading all the responses and spending the weekend I have decided to keep the P1K LE. It is set up the way I want it, performs great, is a solid machine, and paid for! However.....I am going to keep an eye on the Talon and take a good look at the X with the Live shocks when they are back in stock. If or when there is a Talon with a factory turbo I will buy one then, and keep both.
Excellent idea :)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I had a pioneer 10003p. I saw the specs someplace gearing is very close, the only difference is in the diffs, trans the same low and high range is the same, tires are1inch larger in Dia. Reverse is slower which is nice. I have the half windshield. Depending on how tall you are will depend where it hits you. Im5'9" hits me about forehead level. Very little dust. I feel some heat through the backrest, it's warm but not hot even when 85degs out. But not between the seat and backrest like the pioneer. The engine and exhaust are father back. OAL is right about 10ft. No regrets I trail ride, much better riding, and handling. Like Huck said one is a sport machine, the other is a utility. The doors don't rattle like the Pioneer. Noise level about the same. I love the machine. Hope that helps.
Wait a minute, NFA’s asking about the Talon 1000X Fox 4. Are you sure it’s only at 10’ length?????

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!