P500 Looking for Engine Temperature info

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
So, since I have been using my P5 for work duty around the house all winter and into spring, I just recently decided to change the dash display over to show engine temperature. Through most of the winter, the temp gauge read "Lo" or 1 - LED bar filled in. Since it has warmed up into the 60's and a couple days of 70's here in Michigan, my one-way trip to the horse barn has gotten the temp up to showing 2-bars before I am shutting the engine off. My take is I am short-cycling the crap out of this poor engine and I think I am going to need to do an oil change well before the service interval.

My question to all you fellow P5 owners is about the engine temperature- I dug through the owner's manual and did not find much, but I am wondering this: have any of you watched your temperature gauge and seen it act like a car temp gauge where you saw the temperature rise until the thermostat opened, then the temperature drop some and hold at operating temp? How many of the temperature gauge bars should I see at operating temp? How many bars before the thermostat opens?

I ask this for it is going to be a while before I have time to drive this thing in circles to heat it up, or be able to trail ride it for any amount of time.
Thanks.

Reactions: J80
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Mine never made it over 2 bars. I would check regularly out of curiosity. There were a few times I checked because it felt like more than the usual heat coming form the below but it was only at 2 bars even then.

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
So, since I have been using my P5 for work duty around the house all winter and into spring, I just recently decided to change the dash display over to show engine temperature. Through most of the winter, the temp gauge read "Lo" or 1 - LED bar filled in. Since it has warmed up into the 60's and a couple days of 70's here in Michigan, my one-way trip to the horse barn has gotten the temp up to showing 2-bars before I am shutting the engine off. My take is I am short-cycling the crap out of this poor engine and I think I am going to need to do an oil change well before the service interval.

My question to all you fellow P5 owners is about the engine temperature- I dug through the owner's manual and did not find much, but I am wondering this: have any of you watched your temperature gauge and seen it act like a car temp gauge where you saw the temperature rise until the thermostat opened, then the temperature drop some and hold at operating temp? How many of the temperature gauge bars should I see at operating temp? How many bars before the thermostat opens?

I ask this for it is going to be a while before I have time to drive this thing in circles to heat it up, or be able to trail ride it for any amount of time.
Thanks.
I watch mine constantly. I select the temp display and leave it on. I have never seen it go past two bars and it operates at two bars when fully warmed up and stays there. I use it for plowing/pulling/work/hunting/trail riding. Even while plowing here in MN in the cold winter it will go to two bars and stay there. During the hot summer while using it for work I'll notice the fan kicking on more but the temp level stays at two bars. I think you're good to go as far as not short cycling the engine. Two bars is the most I've seen my 500 get to. I'm not an expert by any means but it sounds to me like your machine is operating normally.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I am sure Honda did the warranty application testing on that unit. That was my job for the GP engine side. The temperature is checked at different locations on that engine during normal operation. If any part of the engine gets above spec, it's back to the drawing board for that application.

If you are curious to the exact temperature of the engine, and if it is of any determent. A company called Ex-Tech will make a thermocouple out of any part you send them, such as the oil drain plug etc.. That would be the only way to see if the engine is working out of the specified temperature range, and I am sure Honda has done that already.

So, no worries, just enjoy that thing.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!