P1000 Looking for real world opinions of the new P1000's

D

dh357

Jan 10, 2019
Osage, ok
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hello. I'm new to the Pioneers but not really to Honda atvs. Currently I have an 05 Polaris Ranger 500 (free) that I would like to sell and get something different. Main use will be riding on the family land, going to the dam and hopefully my wife, 2yo son and I will be riding around the state. For now I'm only interested in the base model 3 seater due to cost, the turf/2wd/4wd/4wd diff lock, and to me it just looks a little better than the fancy model. Now to brass tacks. How well are they holding up? I've read here and there of trans/clutch issues mainly in the clutch pack no 1. I know its from slow driving, or pulling in high. I also saw a picture of a blown up motor. I know the internet makes a minor problem a huge thing really quick so I'm curious to know how they're doing from real world owners. Thanks.

Reactions: sharp
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
P1000m3 - 17,000 Mile Report

You'll see @hondabob has done several reports, I believe this is the latest.

I haven't personally searched for mileage reports like that with other UTVs (note he has a YXZ with similar mileage), but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one.

I'd also point out that you prolly wont be beating on your machine the way some do on here. I got turned on to some YouTube videos of a couple of members riding and realized just how much abuse these machines will take! More than I'm willing to put out!

Reactions: sharp and TimG
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Hello. I'm new to the Pioneers but not really to Honda atvs. Currently I have an 05 Polaris Ranger 500 (free) that I would like to sell and get something different. Main use will be riding on the family land, going to the dam and hopefully my wife, 2yo son and I will be riding around the state. For now I'm only interested in the base model 3 seater due to cost, the turf/2wd/4wd/4wd diff lock, and to me it just looks a little better than the fancy model. Now to brass tacks. How well are they holding up? I've read here and there of trans/clutch issues mainly in the clutch pack no 1. I know its from slow driving, or pulling in high. I also saw a picture of a blown up motor. I know the internet makes a minor problem a huge thing really quick so I'm curious to know how they're doing from real world owners. Thanks.
I have a 2016 that’s had all the recalls and upgrades completed, and a 2018 which all of that was remedied on before hand. No problems with either. As I mentioned to you in your other thread, you’ll wish you had the EPS if you go with the base model, IMO.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought a 2017 1000EPS. It is the model you are talking about. Had the clutch mod done at 23 miles. Never was a problem. I now have 1300 miles and not one thing wrong. When I installed a heater I did have an issue getting all the air out. Followed directions from this website...no issues, just nice hot heat/defrost. I am a Honda fan from 1982 on. Just sold my 3 fourtrax to buy this one. They were 25+ years old and sold for more than I bought them new. That's why I bought this one. I did look seriously at the General with a/c and heat, but an older gal in our rock and gem club got one. It spent its first 4 months in the shop. Seems the gear that supplies torque to the a/c broke off into the gearbox. $5,000 later (thank god it was under warranty) they got it back with an oil leak. Another month in the shop. After all their issues I stayed away from them.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Personally I cannot comment on the the real world, being a Gnome and all.....except that it's really big!

Reactions: TimG and dnjones161
Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
1000-3EPS. Due to the size I opted for power steering, I like it. All recalls done. Not as many miles as other members, fine so far. Love the 1000 but limits where I can go on my property due to width.

Reactions: TimG and sharp
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1000-3EPS. Due to the size I opted for power steering, I like it. All recalls done. Not as many miles as other members, fine so far. Love the 1000 but limits where I can go on my property due to width.
While living here in fantasy land, I'd have to rent an imaginary track hoe and widen all my trails too. The 500 is perfect and I can still achieve pucker effect on occasion. In all my travels out west I only came across a single 50" gate in Colorado.. At that time I was happy but all being said and done, I wish on every shooting star I see, that I had a 1000. I did see a shooting star last night while checking out the Dire Blood Moon (real thing) but I forgot and wished for something else more rewarding. There are some 50" trails in Utah too but not enough to get yer knickers in a wad over. Go big and don't go back. Unless of course you're a really wee lad or lass but there's only two ye see? Ain't no alphabet soups folk in 'ere!

Last edited:
LWood

LWood

Jul 16, 2017
Birch Run,MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 1000-5 deluxe. 1200 miles no issues. I agree, get the EPS model. If you are planning any more kids You may want to consider the 1000-5. Other wise you will just have to buy another one in a few years. LOL You can probably get an 18 at a real good price right now.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 1000-5 deluxe. 1200 miles no issues. I agree, get the EPS model. If you are planning any more kids You may want to consider the 1000-5. Other wise you will just have to buy another one in a few years. LOL You can probably get an 18 at a real good price right now.

<$1000 more than the 3 seater right now. No brainer for re-sale IMO.

My only complaint about the 5 seat is how much mud sticks up under the bed in all the nooks and crevices. Working on a cheap fix for that currently....

D

dh357

Jan 10, 2019
Osage, ok
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hey thanks for all the replies so far. 17,000 miles is awesome! I rode with a guy about 8 years ago with a Rincon that had 8600 miles and it ran as good as my nearly new Rancher 420 4x4 w/ps and I think all he had done was brakes, filters and bearings. I've always like Honda offroad stuff and really wanted a pioneer once I started looking but just didn't know anything about them. Might look into power steering, but not the 5 seater for now. Did watch Appalachian mountain riders review and he seems to real good honest videos and it seemed impressive.

Reactions: TimG
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Hey thanks for all the replies so far. 17,000 miles is awesome! I rode with a guy about 8 years ago with a Rincon that had 8600 miles and it ran as good as my nearly new Rancher 420 4x4 w/ps and I think all he had done was brakes, filters and bearings. I've always like Honda offroad stuff and really wanted a pioneer once I started looking but just didn't know anything about them. Might look into power steering, but not the 5 seater for now. Did watch Appalachian mountain riders review and he seems to real good honest videos and it seemed impressive.
The EPS is indispensable. The 3 verses 5 is a matter of practicality and total use. If you’re buying it for the singular purpose of riding, then the 5 is nice, if you ever do have friends or family visit they have somewhere to ride, and it’s quite fun with a group. If you’re alone, all your gear is under cover. If you’re buying it for multi use as many of us have, I use mine on the ranch to haul firewood, compost, trimmings and a lot of other stuff including things that are heavy enough that I have to lift them into the bed with my tractor either buy chain or in the bucket. That all makes the 3 seater superior. The bed on the 3 seater is larger and holds more than the 5 seater.

Last edited:
D

dh357

Jan 10, 2019
Osage, ok
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The EPS is indispensable. The 3 verses 5 is a mater of practicality and total use. If you’re buying it for the singular purpose of riding, then the 5 is nice, if you ever do have friends or family visit they have somewhere to ride, and it’s quite fun with a group. If you’re alone, all your gear is under cover. If you’re buying it for multi use as many of us have, I use mine on the ranch to haul firewood, compost, trimmings and a lot of other stuff including things that are heavy enough that I have to lift them into the bed with my tractor either buy chain or in the bucket. That all makes the 3 seater superior. The bed on the 3 seater is larger and holds more than the 5 seater.

Thanks for the insight. Mainly it'll be for trails and exploring atv parks that allow sxs. Currently i live in town so no work with it around house. I'll look into eps for sure. It was nice on my rancher especially on rough trails. I do find the 5 intriguing, main reason was cost but a quick for sale search i found them for sale reasonably priced. I appreciate the replies so far.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I have a 2016 1000-5 and the 3 seat and 5 seat have the same outer dimensions. I have seen people pull off the rear roll cage and install the 3 seat roof it's smaller/cheaper and still have fold up seats if need be. It is a wide machine and for that reason I went with the sport model knuckledeep, shadowaero and myself have crammed our 1000's down trails we didn't fit on. If you don't need the overall size of the 1000 the 700 is a nice machine with a torque converter the 2 seater is great on gas. Dribblez rides with us he has a 2 seat 700 that day he was in 4wd for 56 miles used less than 1/2 tank of fuel the 1000's burnt 3/4 to a full tank IIRC.

The only problem's I have had were fixed by recalls I cooked the clutches with aggressive mud tires in sticky mud but after getting pulled out the Honda went back on the trailer under it's own power with a running start they were slipping.

I have 1500 miles and that has been my only problem. For my type of riding it needs better shocks Walker Evans are planned for later this year.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!