P700 Looking for the guys that get high

Guiltygypsy

Guiltygypsy

Feb 7, 2020
New Tazewell, Tn
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok, so we have been invited to ride the alpine loop in Colorado. We are going out for 6 days to ride the alpine loop, imogene pass and black bear pass. I have seen some really old threads about high altitude , but nothing current. You all know I frequent wind rock in Tennessee obviously with no issues, But the highest I can get there is 3500 feet. At base camp we will be at 6000 and frequent 12-13000 feet.
I have ridden several times since the trip to Mississippi, and intend to keep the snorkel on the machine so I’m not worried about the air intake, really worried about power loss and capability of the little beast at higher altitudes. Anybody out there been to Gods doorstep on a 700, I’d really like to know how it done.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok, so we have been invited to ride the alpine loop in Colorado. We are going out for 6 days to ride the alpine loop, imogene pass and black bear pass. I have seen some really old threads about high altitude , but nothing current. You all know I frequent wind rock in Tennessee obviously with no issues, But the highest I can get there is 3500 feet. At base camp we will be at 6000 and frequent 12-13000 feet.
I have ridden several times since the trip to Mississippi, and intend to keep the snorkel on the machine so I’m not worried about the air intake, really worried about power loss and capability of the little beast at higher altitudes. Anybody out there been to Gods doorstep on a 700, I’d really like to know how it done.
The link @WagginTail linked to pretty much sums it up.
Generally, actual trails are ok, but it's the play hills with steep climbs it won't do. Also, crossing downed logs or rock ledges will require momentum. Around 9200' is about as high as I ever got.

There was a ride up there last year I think. Maybe hit some of these guys up like @ByronM. He had a 700 on it.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Note that Black Bear Pass is a one way road down into Telluride and SxSs aren't allowed on the streets there, you'll need to arrange getting picked up. Colorado isn't UTV friendly, your license plate isn't recognized here.

Altitude sickness affects some more than others. Pay attention to yourself and those around you. If a headache starts you need to stop climbing RIGHT NOW, it's only going to get worse and you'll need to get below 10k feet for symptoms to start easing. I think dosing up with Aspirin will help, start 2 or 3 days ahead of high altitudes (not positive, not a doctor, do yer homework). Keep yourself hydrated, drink more than you think possible but remember, you can OD on water.

Have fun, the vistas are something a flatlander simply cannot imagine. These aren't from the area you're headed but ...

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Get a hold of @Montecresto, I think he has ridden his 700 in the thin air and was disappointed?

T

twagor

Jul 13, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. 700-2
Took my stock p-700 up Tellurium creek out of Taylor park last summer. Its 12,279 elevation. There was 1 steep 1/4 mile climb I had trouble with. Other than that the P-700 did fine. Also had it over Georgia pass which is over 11,000 elevation.

IMG 6596 IMG 6563 1 IMG 6597 1

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I got rid of my 700 because of its lack of power, really due to no low range on my property in the Rockies. But that’s for really rugged trails. You’ll be ok on the AP it’s just about like maintained forest road.

Guiltygypsy

Guiltygypsy

Feb 7, 2020
New Tazewell, Tn
Ownership

1. 700-4
Really good thread, thank you

NoRest

NoRest

Jul 23, 2019
The Beef State
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I take my 700 up to about 11,000 ft in northern Colorado frequently. On the roads like the Alpine Loop it has no problem. But you'll definitely feel the power loss. Ive found a couple of the rougher steeper climbs are a no go.
20190701 202239

Last edited:
Guiltygypsy

Guiltygypsy

Feb 7, 2020
New Tazewell, Tn
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thank you, that seems to be the general consensus. Rather than try it, I have purchased a 650 dual sport to take the trip on. I was determined to ride the Lil beast, but I don't want to waste this opportunity, so I am abandoning the pioneer for this one.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thank you, that seems to be the general consensus. Rather than try it, I have purchased a 650 dual sport to take the trip on. I was determined to ride the Lil beast, but I don't want to waste this opportunity, so I am abandoning the pioneer for this one.
You opened the box now!Lol
Pics of this 650?

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!