BOX1

P1000 Looking to buy

808guy

Jan 12, 2021
Kirkland WA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey group,

I'm new to the whole UTV world and am looking to buy. I'm in no hurry, I picked the right brand, and I do research until it's too late and the next year model comes out. In order to avoid waiting too long, I thought I'd get advise from the best.

I'm in Washington but will be moving to Maui in 2 years. I plan on this being a workhorse for my property over there as well as fun. My current thinking is the P1K5LE because I think adding the adjustable shocks and skid plates if I buy a lower model will be just as much as factory. I don't know that, so that is why I am here. Lots or rocks and mud on my property and I will be dragging palm fronds around.

Please let me know your thoughts. In my area there is about a $1900 difference between deluxe and LE.

Thanks in advance

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey group,

I'm new to the whole UTV world and am looking to buy. I'm in no hurry, I picked the right brand, and I do research until it's too late and the next year model comes out. In order to avoid waiting too long, I thought I'd get advise from the best.

I'm in Washington but will be moving to Maui in 2 years. I plan on this being a workhorse for my property over there as well as fun. My current thinking is the P1K5LE because I think adding the adjustable shocks and skid plates if I buy a lower model will be just as much as factory. I don't know that, so that is why I am here. Lots or rocks and mud on my property and I will be dragging palm fronds around.

Please let me know your thoughts. In my area there is about a $1900 difference between deluxe and LE.

Thanks in advance
If its only $1900 difference, I would go LE all day long. The fox shocks alone would cost you $1500-$1600.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey group,

Thanks in advance
The 1000 is a great all around machine capable of a lot. Weight and work really doesn’t effect the rig. We don’t do much actual work with the machine but used heavily for play but constantly pulling heavy trailers, moving pickups and have even pulled a Jeep miles through the mud back to camp. Had it loaded to the brim with firewood and up to 9 people. Then go hit some heavy trails. I love the rig, great for my family.
I personally prefer the dlx as there’s less to go wrong and you have true diff lock. But many like the le and have had good luck with it. 1900 difference is pretty good though. Either machine you may want aftermarket skids so possibly leave that out of the price factor but shocks are nice in le, can be bought separately though. Really up to your preference but the 1000 is a good overall machine
Oh and welcome from the other side of the state.

808guy

Jan 12, 2021
Kirkland WA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The 1000 is a great all around machine capable of a lot. Weight and work really doesn’t effect the rig. We don’t do much actual work with the machine but used heavily for play but constantly pulling heavy trailers, moving pickups and have even pulled a Jeep miles through the mud back to camp. Had it loaded to the brim with firewood and up to 9 people. Then go hit some heavy trails. I love the rig, great for my family.
I personally prefer the dlx as there’s less to go wrong and you have true diff lock. But many like the le and have had good luck with it. 1900 difference is pretty good though. Either machine you may want aftermarket skids so possibly leave that out of the price factor but shocks are nice in le, can be bought separately though. Really up to your preference but the 1000 is a good overall machine
Oh and welcome from the other side of the state.
Thanks for your thoughts, clearly I can't go wrong either way

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The factory skid on all models is just thin plastic and provides minimal protection. If you're going to be riding a lot in rocky terrain you'll want to upgrade to something more substantial for real protection if you know you'll bottom out a lot.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d prefer a 1/2” uhmw to the aluminum that comes on the LE any day, I’m another that would take the deluxe over an LE but really this is personal preference. You can get the shocks for $1475 on eBay from Huntington Beach Honda.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with @CumminsPusher, I have the Dlux mostly because it has the true diff lock and I am a control freak when it comes to vehicles, ( don’t want a computer deciding what gear or 4x4 selection I want) as far as the skid plate the LE has an aluminum skid and the Dlux has a very thin plastic, in my opinion I would change either one to the 1/2” UHMW way more/better protection than stock. You can always upgrade the Dlux to accommodate your riding style/ location but there is no changing the I4WD if you don’t like it. Good luck and pics when you get your buggy.📸

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya what was said about skids is correct. The Le aluminum one is definitely better then the lower models thong plastic but it still has large voids and is thin. Doesn’t slide as well and gets dented easily. IMO UHMW is the way to go. If you’re not dragging the belly across anything it doesn’t matter much but even a poorly placed stick or rock in the trail can getcha. And many people that say they will only use it very light duty wind up doing things they weren’t planning on.

808guy

Jan 12, 2021
Kirkland WA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ya what was said about skids is correct. The Le aluminum one is definitely better then the lower models thong plastic but it still has large voids and is thin. Doesn’t slide as well and gets dented easily. IMO UHMW is the way to go. If you’re not dragging the belly across anything it doesn’t matter much but even a poorly placed stick or rock in the trail can getcha. And many people that say they will only use it very light duty wind up doing things they weren’t planning on.
Let me show my complete rookieness to you all, What is UHMW? I will definitely gets picks once I decide which model.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Super strong light weight slidy plastic? It must do really well for not puncturing and does not dent? I can see why this is what you have all recommended.

Thanks
So ur in Hawaii dragging palm leaves around? Ur not offroading to the top of the volcano. The Le will do everything u need .

808guy

Jan 12, 2021
Kirkland WA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So ur in Hawaii dragging palm leaves around? Ur not offroading to the top of the volcano. The Le will do everything u need .
Oh I will do both, but I do have a "legitimate" work use for this thing. 62 palm trees on the property which equates to about five 40 yard dumpsters of palm fronds. I'm not going to drag them by hand when I can do it which this great vehicle.

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
Either machine will work great, what you need to look at is do you want the I4wd or the manual cable actuated 4wd with a true front locker. I prefer the deluxe because I like to control the 4wd system and not the computer. The other reason is I can buy aftermarket axles for the deluxe were with the LE I think you need to still go to Honda I don't know of any aftermarket axles for it.

Let us know what you end up getting, both are great machines.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!