P500 Looks like I'm on the way out :(

mjager

mjager

May 10, 2019
Central Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 4582
I did my best to make the P5 mine. I love the size, the Honda nameplate, reliability etc etc. But try as I may, I cant get past the rough ride.

What pushed my decision to sell it was a club ride I was on the other day. Not too long, maybe 70-80 km all in, but at the end of it I was beat to crap. Wrist's raw from the rough rocky terrain we encountered. My butt sore from being bounced around most of the day. Bottoming out way too frequently. Not able to find a good comfortable spot for my left leg due to the cramped footwell.

So, I put it up for sale on Kijiji where I live, which is north of Toronto ON. Not sure what I'll do now. I had a 2018 Grizzly and 2009 Rhino I sold to get the P5. The reason being I had planned on going to AZ this winter with my Toy Hauler, and wanted a small but reliable SxS for me and my dog while down there.

I guess if I'm just using it as a pleasure, light trail, run to town for supplies kind of machine, it would be fine. But AZ is full of trails, and I wanted to take advantage of some riding while I'm down there. This last ride really did me in, and now I feel I wouldn't be happy with it there.

One thing is for sure though, this site has been a goldmine of info to me, as this is my first (well technically my second, my first was a 85 250R) Honda. I had lots of questions and always was able to get answers. This is a great support forum.

In hindsight, maybe I should have kept the Grizz and used a rear cargo tray for my dog. Or kept the Rhino even though the size and weight maxed out my TH garage area. And maybe the P5 won't find a new home and have to stay with me...who knows? LOL But I do know it feels better just to talk about this to like minded guys who get where I'm coming from.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
12 or 14" rim? What size tire?

Reactions: rtn001
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That rear box is a great look!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
That doesn't make sense, are they 12's or 14's? 14's would explain some of the rough ride.
That and the 8 ply tires. And I wonder how much air @mjager?

Edit: I see elsewhere that 6 psi is what you are running. Have you tried lower?

Last edited:
mjager

mjager

May 10, 2019
Central Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
That and the 8 ply tires. And I wonder how much air @mjager?

Edit: I see elsewhere that 6 psi is what you are running. Have you tried lower?

Yeah, I could try lower PSI. But the fact will always remain this is a unit that will never have a really nice ride or plush suspension. Sure you can do some things to help it, but I mean in general. It's the design and engineering of the unit itself.

And I have no interest in throwing more money at it for shocks, seats, long travel kits. For me there comes a point when you know you have to cut chase, or just put up with it.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah, I could try lower PSI. But the fact will always remain this is a unit that will never have a really nice ride or plush suspension. Sure you can do some things to help it, but I mean in general. It's the design and engineering of the unit itself.

And I have no interest in throwing more money at it for shocks, seats, long travel kits. For me there comes a point when you know you have to cut chase, or just put up with it.
Air pressure can make a surprising difference, esp at a casual pace.

But...I totally agree with what you are saying. This is why I won't drop thousands on shocks to make it still not ride as good as a stock 700, yet have the price of a 700 invested. And the 700 isn't a cushy ride at that.
Just grasping at straws for a machine that seems to fit your needs, otherwise.

The lesson here it that the 500 was designed for tight trails, and if you want max enjoyment from it, that's where it needs to stay.

mjager

mjager

May 10, 2019
Central Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Air pressure can make a surprising difference, esp at a casual pace.

But...I totally agree with what you are saying. This is why I won't drop thousands on shocks to make it still not ride as good as a stock 700, yet have the price of a 700 invested. And the 700 isn't a cushy ride at that.
Just grasping at straws for a machine that seems to fit your needs, otherwise.

The lesson here it that the 500 was designed for tight trails, and if you want max enjoyment from it, that's where it needs to stay.

And not very rough trails as well I'd add...

Should I sell it, besides getting back into a true quad, I may look at the 50" Maverick Trail 800

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
And not very rough trails as well I'd add...

Should I sell it, besides getting back into a true quad, I may look at the 50" Maverick Trail 800
Those can-ams are nice, but I fear any 50" machine isn't going to be all that great. If you can go bigger, I'd suggest that.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Too bad we don’t live closer you could try mine with Bear claw HT radials and Elka Stage 3 shocks.... expensive perhaps, however the incremental cost (increase) compared to newer and/or larger machine is still less I’m thinking. For noted make for a much different machine, easily 1 to 2 gear quicker on most terrain, pillowy controlled ride. Hard to explain the ride difference, suffice to say much improved on all accounts.
j

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!