BOX1

Talon Loud clunk when suspension extends

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
My Talon R with shock therapy springs and with stock springs makes a very loud noise when driving over rocks at low speed. I think it is from the suspension reaching for extension (unloaded). Another Honda owner we ride with that has revalve and springs from ST claims he has no noise. Trying to figure out how to check each shock for function (no pressure or internal seals) without taking the springs off (PITA).
Anyone have noise like this or am I the only one.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Talon R with shock therapy springs and with stock springs makes a very loud noise when driving over rocks at low speed. I think it is from the suspension reaching for extension (unloaded). Another Honda owner we ride with that has revalve and springs from ST claims he has no noise. Trying to figure out how to check each shock for function (no pressure or internal seals) without taking the springs off (PITA).
Although it's a different machine ect. When I have too much preload in my front fox I'll get the same thing. Let out some preload and mine went away. I believe @Hondasxs was having something similar. Again pioneer but same issue.

Reactions: Ddoggy and TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Although it's a different machine ect. When I have too much preload in my front fox I'll get the same thing. Let out some preload and mine went away. I believe @Hondasxs was having something similar. Again pioneer but same issue.
That must be what I'm experiencing on my pioneer. I thought I had a something going bad in the front end but I checked and everything is tight. I only started feeling the slight popping after I increased my preload.

Reactions: Plumber32
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I've been battling this with Walker-evan shocks.
Loud "thump" as my wheel rolled off a ledge and went full extend.
I lightened up the fronts and it seemd to go away.

I need shocks with rebound adjustments to fix it I have been told.
Or limit straps.

Sounds like the same issue.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You are not alone. Same thing on my R at the dunes after installing the ST kit. I found mine was a combination of 3 things.
  1. The initial preload that ST recommends is way too much. After the initial 250 miles, I checked mine as the instructions say and my front end was over 1" higher than recommended. I reduced the preload and it reduced the thumping.
  2. The recommended crossover setting is too soon. I like a smooth ride so I back my crossovers way off to just before coil bind of the tender spring. This helped a little more.
  3. The rebound adjustment on the stock shock is too soft. There is nothing you can do about this except to have the shocks re-valved.
The thumping was prevalent after the install but adjustments 1 and 2 have minimized the thumping to something I can live with for now. I planned on getting the shocks re-valved but was having so much fun that I didn't want the machine down for too long. Now that winter is (kinda) here, I am considering shipping the shocks off to ST for the re-valve.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Made an appointment with ST to do the revalve. They do something internal to reduce the topping out and revalve for other situations. Don't really want to reduce preload and ground clearance. This Honda has the best ground clearance I have had in the two RZR I have owned. Just not willing to put up with the loud noise and we can feel the it though the entire machine.

Reactions: Ddoggy and TripleB

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
If it works right, and that is the only issues, then look into limit straps.

Reactions: Ddoggy
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I know the Fox RC2 shocks on my yamaha only has a thick oring on the bottom of the piston to hit when it tops out. It still makes a pretty good thud though. Some shocks have a spring in there to soften and quieten the top out. You can also get noise from the crossover ring when the slider hits it on compression.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
If it works right, and that is the only issues, then look into limit straps.
In my opinion/experience, limit straps would probably be a bandaid, the rebound is way too soft and really needs fixing.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Ragnar406

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scribbles

Scribbles

Jan 28, 2020
Queen Creek, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, I've been battling this with Walker-evan shocks.
Loud "thump" as my wheel rolled off a ledge and went full extend.
I lightened up the fronts and it seemd to go away.

I need shocks with rebound adjustments to fix it I have been told.
Or limit straps.

Sounds like the same issue.
Any updates with this issue? I have Weller Racing's spring and revalve work on my 1000R and noticed the clunking magnified at Glamis this weekend. Really annoying.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any updates with this issue? I have Weller Racing's spring and revalve work on my 1000R and noticed the clunking magnified at Glamis this weekend. Really annoying.
I lightened the preload a few turns and it has stopped.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!