P1000 Low gear gone

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine wont stay in low, I'm guessing the gear dogs are worn. Starts out fine then bangs and goes into neutral. New shift cable and its properly adjusted. Sub trans fluid level fine.

I've called the three closest dealers to me and none have heard of this problem. One says they are a week out, but doesn't have room to take mine in now, the second one says bring it in and it will be 2-3 weeks (gut says it it be there much longer) and third says they are booked until july 15. I would attempt it myself, but I really dont have much room to work on it.

Has anyone replaced the gear(s) themselves and how hard was it. Has anyone had the dealer do it, and how much did it cost?

Thanks.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like its broken....I think the same thing happened to @Ragnar406

Reactions: Hondoman
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Yes I have.
get a manual if you are mechanically inclined it is not hard at all.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I have.
get a manual if you are mechanically inclined it is not hard at all.

Thanks. Yeah I can do it, just limited on space really.

Did you drain the oil then pull the sub tranny out from underneath? I'm assuming you have to pull it out to get to everything?

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Thanks. Yeah I can do it, just limited on space really.

Did you drain the oil then pull the sub tranny out from underneath? I'm assuming you have to pull it out to get to everything?

Yes it comes out the bottom I am not good at English I never got the hang of it, that's why I suggested a manual
Ok brief overview pull front bumper move front differential forward about a 1.5 inches the drive shaft is a floating spline up front, and got a clip holding in place by the sub trans, snap the shaft off, drain oil, disconnect sensors, and shift cable, unbolt, and remove.
2 of them are nut and work as guide studs.
Remove complete sub transmission it is not as hard as this list sounds, do NOT try splitting the case in the machine.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes it comes out the bottom I am not good at English I never got the hang of it, that's why I suggested a manual
Ok brief overview pull front bumper move front differential forward about a 1.5 inches the drive shaft is a floating spline up front, and got a clip holding in place by the sub trans, snap the shaft off, drain oil, disconnect sensors, and shift cable, unbolt, and remove.
2 of them are nut and work as guide studs.
Remove complete sub transmission it is not as hard as this list sounds, do NOT try splitting the case in the machine.
Awesome, thank you. Can you recommend a good manual?

J

Joel26

May 30, 2020
Port Allen Louisiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
My LOW gear is knocking and will not accelerate when I put my shift lever in “L”. I only had the bike for like 5 months maybe 6 I have 100 miles on it. Will Honda warranty this?

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My LOW gear is knocking and will not accelerate when I put my shift lever in “L”. I only had the bike for like 5 months maybe 6 I have 100 miles on it. Will Honda warranty this?
Yours should be covered by the warranty. Mine is 3 years old.

J

Joel26

May 30, 2020
Port Allen Louisiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ok.i have mud tires and a snorkel kit on it but I didn’t install it. The dealership sold it to me like that. Do you think the warranty will still cover it

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok.i have mud tires and a snorkel kit on it but I didn’t install it. The dealership sold it to me like that. Do you think the warranty will still cover it
I dont see why not. Seems alot of machines left the showroom with misaligned shift cables which have caused these problems.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

Here is a link to the post I started when I had pulled mine it will give you a idea what for gaskets and seal you will need if you replace them all.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Here is a link to the post I started when I had pulled mine it will give you a idea what for gaskets and seal you will need if you replace them all.
Awesome, thank you! I wondered if there was a lower low gear I could use, guess not but the lower reverse would be nice.

I may do the igr at some point anyway.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@GPR1500SC is KILLING it!

How do you guys give a "love" icon, I can only do "like".

Reactions: GPR1500SC
Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jumped in feet first. Ordered the parts to replace low and upgrading to the talon lower reverse.

20200531 153010
20200531 150754
20200531 150749

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, that is how mine were worn when my low gear went out. I have a good dealer so they replaced in just over a week. really it took a week to get the parts in and they pulled repaired and replaced the day after parts came in. I had the extended warranty so it was covered by that ...
I wish I had a good dealer around here. Most have gone from Honda or Honda/Yamaha only to multi line dealers carrying Artic Cat, Polaris etc...

Service shops are now full of non-Hondas...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!