E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Are you warming up the engine before pulling it into low? When I warm it up for 3 to 4 minutes I don't have any grinding or hard levers.

Reactions: Lady01
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I meant to update this thread on my essentially brand new machine (<30hrs at initial post).

Summary:
The summary is that I won't buy a Honda side by side again and I wish I never did, but I invested so much in the accessories up front that I'm sticking with it for now. After the engine overheated twice and the transmission required two tear downs to repair the low gear, I bought the longest extended Honda warranty possible and I'm hoping that it lasts until then and I'll sell it. Chances are that I'll sell it before then so that I can transfer the warranty.

Details:
It's painful to see major issues followed by brand loyalty on this forum but that's status quo. I'm fed up.

My initial call with Honda was 45 minutes or so about the low gear grinding and the engine overheating. The representative (don't have his name off hand) asked me about a lot of details and kept me on the phone that long during a weekday work day for me, which I thought would lead to at least Honda giving me an additional warranty of any length. It turns out that was a total waste of time after I spoke with Honda corporate a second time with a woman who must be the west coast lead. I got nothing from Honda. Sorry, I'm sure I have their names somewhere and the forum deserves names. People and companies need to be accountable.

After the transmission was torn down a 2nd time for the initial repair, the dealer in Yuba City was nice enough to deliver the machine, but certainly wasn't happy they had to deliver it so far (2.5 hours one way).

I discovered after the dealer's driver delivered our 1000-5 that the shifter for turf/4x4/etc was stuck in 4x4 diff lock. That's not a major issue for me since that's how I mostly use it but I can't shift to anything else. The shifter moves but there's no response. I have yet to take it to my most local dealer to repair this since there's a couple month wait and they might not warranty the service after inspection. After all, the dealer that I bought it from could have damaged it but they're an extra 1.5 hour drive away. Well, doesn't that make me feel good that I bought this expensive machine that keeps having issues.

Now I also have a two new recalls notices that also need shop inspection,

I've had tires on the vehicle after the transmission was repaired (torn down twice for the one repair). I now have tracks on it again. Shifting into low gear from park occasionally grinds whether or not I have tires or tracks on the machine. I live in the mountains at 6000' so perhaps that has something to do with it. Often, I hear low gear grinding from park to low, but if I shift to neutral or high and let the machine roll down hill, then low gear will engage especially if I pull the shifter really firm. This is the same experience that I had before low gear was previously non-functional so I might need it repaired again.

The initial overheating issue that I had could have been attributed to firmware, a bad factory coolant fill or the driving conditions at the time. I had the firmware updated, I drained and replaced the coolant as per the manual, and the machine has been fine operating in low gear with tracks up to around 4000-4500 RPM, I suggest staying below 4000 RPM especially when going uphill. Our usual climb on previously tracked snow is about 200 feet over a mile and it'll go from 2 bars to 3 bars with a noticeable hot smell along the way if I sustain 4000-4500 RPM. Slow is best with tracks and that's been noted in this forum by others, so it's manageable. However, the low gear transmission failure and issue that I still seems to have is a dealbreaker.

There's no reason that consumers should have to pull so hard to low gear or fill the transmission or engine oil just right in order for the product to operate as it should.

The attached invoice notes the replaced parts. Since the machine was delivered to me, I didn't see any of the failed parts.

View attachment 249745
Sounds like you need a new dealer.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I meant to update this thread on my essentially brand new machine (<30hrs at initial post).

Summary:
The summary is that I won't buy a Honda side by side again and I wish I never did, but I invested so much in the accessories up front that I'm sticking with it for now. After the engine overheated twice and the transmission required two tear downs to repair the low gear, I bought the longest extended Honda warranty possible and I'm hoping that it lasts until then and I'll sell it. Chances are that I'll sell it before then so that I can transfer the warranty.

Details:
It's painful to see major issues followed by brand loyalty on this forum but that's status quo. I'm fed up.

My initial call with Honda was 45 minutes or so about the low gear grinding and the engine overheating. The representative (don't have his name off hand) asked me about a lot of details and kept me on the phone that long during a weekday work day for me, which I thought would lead to at least Honda giving me an additional warranty of any length. It turns out that was a total waste of time after I spoke with Honda corporate a second time with a woman who must be the west coast lead. I got nothing from Honda. Sorry, I'm sure I have their names somewhere and the forum deserves names. People and companies need to be accountable.

After the transmission was torn down a 2nd time for the initial repair, the dealer in Yuba City was nice enough to deliver the machine, but certainly wasn't happy they had to deliver it so far (2.5 hours one way).

I discovered after the dealer's driver delivered our 1000-5 that the shifter for turf/4x4/etc was stuck in 4x4 diff lock. That's not a major issue for me since that's how I mostly use it but I can't shift to anything else. The shifter moves but there's no response. I have yet to take it to my most local dealer to repair this since there's a couple month wait and they might not warranty the service after inspection. After all, the dealer that I bought it from could have damaged it but they're an extra 1.5 hour drive away. Well, doesn't that make me feel good that I bought this expensive machine that keeps having issues.

I've had tires on the vehicle after the transmission was repaired (torn down twice for the one repair). I now have tracks on it again. Shifting into low gear from park occasionally grinds whether or not I have tires or tracks on the machine. I live in the mountains at 6000' so perhaps that has something to do with it. Often, I hear low gear grinding from park to low, but if I shift to neutral or high and let the machine roll down hill, then low gear will engage especially if I pull the shifter really firm. This is the same experience that I had before low gear was previously non-functional so I might need it repaired again.

The initial overheating issue that I had could have been attributed to firmware, a bad factory coolant fill or the driving conditions at the time. I had the firmware updated, I drained and replaced the coolant as per the manual, and the machine has been fine operating in low gear with tracks up to around 4000-4500 RPM, I suggest staying below 4000 RPM especially when going uphill. Our usual climb on previously tracked snow is about 200 feet over a mile and it'll go from 2 bars to 3 bars with a noticeable hot smell along the way if I sustain 4000-4500 RPM. Slow is best with tracks and that's been noted in this forum by others, so it's manageable. However, the low gear transmission failure and issue that I still seems to have is a dealbreaker.

There's no reason that consumers should have to pull so hard to low gear or fill the transmission or engine oil just right in order for the product to operate as it should.

The attached invoice notes the replaced parts. Since the machine was delivered to me, I didn't see any of the failed parts.

View attachment 249745
Hate you have had this much trouble but completely understand your frustration. If you are hearing grinding going into low your cable needs to be adjusted. Everytime it grinds it is wearing gears and will eventually put you right back to where you were. I would call and get it on record just in case.

the overheating - at 6,000ft I hate to say your potential to overheat is higher. only Time I have ever overheated is going up in elevation.
hope your luck changes

B

BeOffGrid

Apr 9, 2020
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. I always warm the engine until I see at least one bar appear on the temperature display. It's never operated when the display reads cold.

B

BeOffGrid

Apr 9, 2020
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Plowed some light snow last weekend and the low gear situation worsened. Gear grinding, banging when shifting gears, eventually total loss of low gear. I have an appointment at a different dealer in a couple weeks for the initial inspection. Hoping there's not a fight over warranty coverage. Then, I'm selling it. Very disappointed in Honda. This is a very finicky and expensive machine.

Reactions: William and Lady01
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Go to Big Valley Honda on I-395/I-580 in Reno. Have had nothing but great service and quality work. Just had Talon reverse and new reverse gears swapped out. Reverse is a little better gearing, and now reverse goes right in, no issue, warm or cold. Service manager is a stand-up good guy. Honest and gets work done. I like him because if there is a delay, which happens, he calls me. Other dealerships could care less.

Reactions: CID and Lady01
W

Wayne001

Aug 13, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Summary:

Details:

The initial overheating issue that I had could have been attributed to firmware, a bad factory coolant fill or the driving conditions at the time. I had the firmware updated, I drained and replaced the coolant as per the manual, and the machine has been fine operating in low gear with tracks up to around 4000-4500 RPM, I suggest staying below 4000 RPM especially when going uphill. Our usual climb on previously tracked snow is about 200 feet over a mile and it'll go from 2 bars to 3 bars with a noticeable hot smell along the way if I sustain 4000-4500 RPM. Slow is best with tracks and that's been noted in this forum by others, so it's manageable. However, the low gear transmission failure and issue that it still seems to have is a dealbreaker.

View attachment 249745
I have a 2016 just turned 1000 miles and it has been in the shop several times for recall and shifting difficulty. Now I can’t put into low gear, shop tells me subtransmission failed costing $2500 to fix. What is up Honda?

Reactions: Fischer and Lady01
W

Wayne001

Aug 13, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Plowed some light snow last weekend and the low gear situation worsened. Gear grinding, banging when shifting gears, eventually total loss of low gear. I have an appointment at a different dealer in a couple weeks for the initial inspection. Hoping there's not a fight over warranty coverage. Then, I'm selling it. Very disappointed in Honda. This is a very finicky and expensive machine.
Something for me on 2016 with 1000 miles, nothing but trouble. Many recalls and never fixed.

Reactions: Fischer and Lady01
B

BeOffGrid

Apr 9, 2020
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go to Big Valley Honda on I-395/I-580 in Reno. Have had nothing but great service and quality work. Just had Talon reverse and new reverse gears swapped out. Reverse is a little better gearing, and now reverse goes right in, no issue, warm or cold. Service manager is a stand-up good guy. Honest and gets work done. I like him because if there is a delay, which happens, he calls me. Other dealerships could care less.
Thanks. I called them. They won't fix it under warranty claiming that installing tracks is a 'modification' that Honda won't cover.

Last edited:
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Take the tracks off and have them fix it. The gearbox shouldn't crap out unless it wasn't adjusted right from the factory. See what they say when you tell them it is on wheels. Good luck. If they won't fix it just buy the parts yourself and have them install them. Cost me $500 for talon gear and reverse gear changeout. The gearbox has to be taken apart and fixed, so same job. These are the exact parts you need. I bought my parts on e-Bay. Was about $1000 less than dealer. I would recommend talon reverse as the tracks seem to be higher torque and wear and tear.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hate you have had this much trouble but completely understand your frustration. If you are hearing grinding going into low your cable needs to be adjusted. Everytime it grinds it is wearing gears and will eventually put you right back to where you were. I would call and get it on record just in case.

the overheating - at 6,000ft I hate to say your potential to overheat is higher. only Time I have ever overheated is going up in elevation.
hope your luck changes
@Ragnar406, is there video/instructions of any type that shows how cable needs to be adjusted?

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm glad to hear that, trying to buy a '21 P1K-5LE, from BVH, as soon as they can get one in, and hope I have better luck than beoffgrid has had..... Makes me wonder....

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!