BOX1

P500 Maiden voyage on the new P5.

P

PNWGuy

Rode about 40 miles or so today in the woods about a half hour drive from my house.

Wow! What a blast! Went up to Bald Mountain Lookout in Idaho, which is a 5 1/2 mile ride up a trail that is like a roller coaster. Seems like the P5 was designed for this trail. Had so much fun decided to take a short video and post it on Youtube...

This trail was medium in challenging and definitely restricted to 50" machines. I'm so glad I didn't go for the Can Am Maverick. There were spots that my P5 barely fit and there was no way a maverick could have made them due to it's two foot longer wheelbase. I got my first trail scar on a corner of the roof scraping a tree in a tight section.

I definitely need the bigger tires as this thing rides like a covered wagon. Looking forward to the improved ride comfort they will offer. Also, I bottomed out a couple of places and bigger tires would have helped. Didn't need the traction as it was dry as a bone and never needed 4wd.

Had 58 miles on the tank and refilled it when I got back to town and it got 26mpg, which sounds about average. A 100 mile fuel range is plenty, but I will likely still had a Rotopak just to be safe.

Did a top speed test and the limiter kicked in at 40mph. Had plenty of grunt off-road and never felt underpowered.

When I got to the lookout, there were a couple of guys in a newer Polaris Rzr 570 and the owner was not happy. Seems his cargo area is unusable due to excessive heat and he showed me where it was melted and warped due to heat. He said Polaris refused to help him and he will never buy another Polaris.

My ride was uneventful and the P5 was awesome. I do have an odd noise that I didn't notice before, which is when the gas pedal is in a neutral position; neither accelerating or decelerating, there is a noise like rocks in a coffee can coming from the gear box. It goes away when you accelerate. Tried to catch it on video but there was too much wind and engine noise to hear it clearly. Will have to investigate further...

Overall, loved it! could not stop smiling!

Ready to off-load...

IMG 20180727 102924688

Survival pack secured...

IMG 20180727 103558839

Some tight switchbacks...

IMG 20180727 112810182

At the lookout...

IMG 20180727 121459321

IMG 20180727 121506364

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Good deal!Glad you are enjoying the new P-5 as much as I do mine.I get some of those sounds from my unit as well,but seem to be going away as the miles increase.Great scenery by the way!

Reactions: Plumber32
J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
D

Deleted member 3748

Those trails look awesome. I like your survival pack. I used to strap two smaller backpacks to the roll cage behind the seats. Easy, cheap storage if you already have a few packs laying around.

Reactions: PNWGuy
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rode about 40 miles or so today in the woods about a half hour drive from my house.

Wow! What a blast! Went up to Bald Mountain Lookout in Idaho, which is a 5 1/2 mile ride up a trail that is like a roller coaster. Seems like the P5 was designed for this trail. Had so much fun decided to take a short video and post it on Youtube...

This trail was medium in challenging and definitely restricted to 50" machines. I'm so glad I didn't go for the Can Am Maverick. There were spots that my P5 barely fit and there was no way a maverick could have made them due to it's two foot longer wheelbase. I got my first trail scar on a corner of the roof scraping a tree in a tight section.

I definitely need the bigger tires as this thing rides like a covered wagon. Looking forward to the improved ride comfort they will offer. Also, I bottomed out a couple of places and bigger tires would have helped. Didn't need the traction as it was dry as a bone and never needed 4wd.

Had 58 miles on the tank and refilled it when I got back to town and it got 26mpg, which sounds about average. A 100 mile fuel range is plenty, but I will likely still had a Rotopak just to be safe.

Did a top speed test and the limiter kicked in at 40mph. Had plenty of grunt off-road and never felt underpowered.

When I got to the lookout, there were a couple of guys in a newer Polaris Rzr 570 and the owner was not happy. Seems his cargo area is unusable due to excessive heat and he showed me where it was melted and warped due to heat. He said Polaris refused to help him and he will never buy another Polaris.

My ride was uneventful and the P5 was awesome. I do have an odd noise that I didn't notice before, which is when the gas pedal is in a neutral position; neither accelerating or decelerating, there is a noise like rocks in a coffee can coming from the gear box. It goes away when you accelerate. Tried to catch it on video but there was too much wind and engine noise to hear it clearly. Will have to investigate further...

Overall, loved it! could not stop smiling!

Ready to off-load...

View attachment 82218

Survival pack secured...

View attachment 82219

Some tight switchbacks...

View attachment 82220

At the lookout...

View attachment 82221

View attachment 82222
I think this is what you’re looking for lol.
43765BB8 A39E 4286 97AD 3EE0AFD5651C

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Looks like a great 1st trip!!! Some bigger tires definitely help, I went with 27"....if you go with a taller tire look into some spacers or wider offset wheels, I went with a 4+3 wheel, most will go with a 5+2 which should keep you in the legal limit for the 50" trails. The P5 is has a lot of gear noise, straight cut gears in the diffs & trans....similar to an old tractor.....noisy but rugged. Changing out the fluid in the diff to a 75w-140 synthetic helps, I run Rotella T-6 synthetic in the engine/trans.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
If you end up bringing Rowdy in the front seat, get some seat covers. We did a group buy some time ago.
Pioneer Seat Cover Group Purchase
I suppose they will be the original not discount price now???? Btw, how durable are they, you’ve had them for sometime now, are they holding up to your satisfaction??

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I suppose they will be the original not discount price now???? Btw, how durable are they, you’ve had them for sometime now, are they holding up to your satisfaction??
I mainly bought them to protect the seats from Bayleaf and I am very satisfied with them. A very durable material. it has held the camo pattern well and I pressure wash it often. Definitely worth the money. As far as price, I have no idea.

P

PNWGuy

Did another 23 miles today on the new tires. Felt great. Did some serious brush busting and suffered some more scratches, but loving my new P5 more and more.
IMG 20180801 135417525 HDR
IMG 20180801 152629134 HDR

Been scouting out spots to take a girl for a easy ride and picnic. Found the perfect spot at an old lookout site...
IMG 20180801 140129620

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Awesome pictures and story! It’s great seeing someone get out there and explore, it’s never about the destination as it is the path to get there. Don’t stop posting we need more:)

Reactions: Miss_Oak and PNWGuy
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!