BOX1

P500 Mobile 1 Synthetic Hypoid Gear Oil.

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
I'm getting ready to do some maintenance and was checking the local stores to see which products they carry that I can use. The local DA has Mobile 1 synthetic gear oil, 75-90w but it had a reference to an additive "Limited slip friction modifier", otherwise it seems to meet the specifications. The Honda manual instructs owners to avoid "energy conserving" gear oil as well as engine oil.

Anybody in the know about this gear oil? What is the problem with the energy conserving additives in the final drive gear cases?

Reactions: TxDoc
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Mobil is great stuff and you might consider cleaning the entire area "well" the day before and allow it to completely dry before getting into the rear end oil change because it will make it more enjoyable without dirt falling in your face or into the openings.

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
>What is the problem with the energy conserving additives in the final drive gear cases?

nothing. That’s only a concern where there’s some kind of wet clutch involved.

That was my understanding but Honda's Pioneer 500 Owners Manual says "GL-4 or GL-5 except oils labeled as enegy conserving" in the Final Gear Oil section on page 118 & 119?

I'll probably use all Mobile 1 products this change. $70 for just fluids!😭

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 500oneer
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That was my understanding but Honda's Pioneer 500 Owners Manual says "GL-4 or GL-5 except oils labeled as enegy conserving" in the Final Gear Oil section on page 118 & 119.

I'll probably use all Mobile 1 products this change. $70 for just fluids!😭
Hmmm, my Talon owner's manual says GL-5 too but no EC. I wonder if it's just something lost in translation?

Hib

Hib

Lifetime Member
Jan 1, 2021
Far N.E. Iowa
Ownership

1. 500
I'm getting ready to do some maintenance and was checking the local stores to see which products they carry that I can use. The local DA has Mobile 1 synthetic gear oil, 75-90w but it had a reference to an additive "Limited slip friction modifier", otherwise it seems to meet the specifications. The Honda manual instructs owners to avoid "energy conserving" gear oil as well as engine oil.

Anybody in the know about this gear oil? What is the problem with the energy conserving additives in the final drive gear cases?
As dilligff82 said.👍

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
I went to another auto parts store and their Mobile 1 engine oil--not motorcycle oil-- had "Resource conserving" in the API circle. My manual is 5 years old, maybe this is the new term?

I went to my local Honda dealer and they didn't have my oil filter so it was a big fail. I'll order the supplies online and look in my service manual to see if their is some type of clutch in the final drive housing. Can't imagine why Honda would mention it if it didn't matter.

P.S. The TRX500 Service Manual I use as a guide shows a typical ring & pinion gear assembly. I'll take a chance on the Mobile 1 with whatever the additive is.

FinalDriveCaseAssm

Last edited:
Reactions: CID
Olaf

Olaf

Aug 18, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
Just checked my label it was the same 75 90 limited slip modifier it's been two years no problems

Reactions: CID
bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
The front Final Drive is much more complicated with a differential and some form of a clutch. I don't understand it.

To reiterate, this is the 2016 TRX500 which seems to be the same engine and drive train although I'm not certain. The specifications were the same on bore, stroke, etc.

FinalDriveAssmFront2

Reactions: Chez-500 and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!