P1000 Mongrels VS blackwater EVO

TaterP1k

TaterP1k

Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2018
South florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK I've done a ton of research, bought a set of tires that i don't know that i really like (30" SATV intimidators) thinking of going to something less aggressive and less weight. Im actually pretty sure at this point that SATV makes the heaviest tires on the market. Anyways. I've got it down to the kinati mongrels Or the Blackwater evolutions. they are pretty much the same. the BWevo are probably little more aggressive but the places that i ride daily i don't think it matters. But i do encounter a good mud hole every once and a while. The kinatis are about 3 pound heavier per tire but they are DOT rated. Which was i was almost dead set on the EVo until i noticed the mongrels were dot rated. Any opinions? suggestions?

J

JTW

Those are two completely different tires for completely different things.. this really is a question of what are you wanting to do with the tire and what’s your riding style and terrain. What are you wanting to spend and how long do you expect your tires to last?

TaterP1k

TaterP1k

Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2018
South florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those are two completely different tires for completely different things.. this really is a question of what are you wanting to do with the tire and what’s your riding style and terrain. What are you wanting to spend and how long do you expect your tires to last?
I guess most of my riding is south florida on sandy and cap rock trails but I also play around in the mud up in south carolina and also plan to start riding up in ride royal blue more.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
JTW is correct. I've never run the Mongrels but they look a lot like my Warthogs. I have run EVO's though and they are a real good tire for mud and rocks.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I guess most of my riding is south florida on sandy and cap rock trails but I also play around in the mud up in south carolina and also plan to start riding up in ride royal blue more.
If’n you’re not gunna be running any roads and will stick maily to trails.. go with the evos. If you’re wanting something that’s more of an all terrain, then go with the mongrel or terrabites, rock-a-Billy’s or tensor regulators.

S

Snoodafruff

Sep 16, 2017
Salt Lake City, UT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If’n you’re not gunna be running any roads and will stick maily to trails.. go with the evos. If you’re wanting something that’s more of an all terrain, then go with the mongrel or terrabites, rock-a-Billy’s or tensor regulators.

Which all terrain DOT rated tire is best between the mongrels & the tensor regulators? Durability is the top priority.

J

JTW

Which all terrain DOT rated tire is best between the mongrels & the tensor regulators? Durability is the top priority.
Hard to say as there is no standard to compare to for ATV tires. I think either would be a good option... look at price, ply, how true to size they are and weight. I will say this.... Dad had a set on mongrels on a rhino and we weren’t impressed with wear or performance. But it all depends on your riding. He runs a lot of blacktop between farms and that locked rear end on the Yamaha was hard on tires.

Rocket

Rocket

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2018
Bullard, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have Mongrells on my Golf Cart.. they are fantastic on road and hard packed tires.... Soft or muddy,,, not so much...

Damn nice tires though

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tensors are regarded as the most durable in the desert racing world from what ive read. They are 8 ply and steel belted. I had over 2000 miles on a set and not one cut or plug. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat

J

JTW

Tensors are regarded as the most durable in the desert racing world from what ive read. They are 8 ply and steel belted. I had over 2000 miles on a set and not one cut or plug. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat
Didn’t you just sell yours? Lol

Reactions: Plumber32
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have Evos and Terrabites (very similar to mongrels). Love em both for different reasons but haven't had the Evos on my rig in few months if that tells you anything. Just went to Royal Blue last weekend (new river actually but same area/terrain). The terras did extremely well and it was pretty muddy there. Except for deep mud, you'd be happy with mongrels. Even in bad mud if you keep wheel speed up to help clean the tires they'll do fairly well. Nothing like trail riding all day then washing rig and heading out to town with your kid for ice cream that night.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Didn’t you just sell yours? Lol
Yeah but it was because I had 3 sets of tires. 2 were truck style tensors were 28" and rockabilly are 30s. Kept the 30s.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!