BOX1

P500 Moose 2” Install

L

lazypengu1n

May 15, 2021
Live Free or Die
Ownership

1. 520
Ended up going with the Moose 2” Hitch. Had everything lined up and saw the the hitch was going to be pressed up against the rear diff. Took an oscillating saw and cut about 1/4” square to clear the hitch tubing.

Looks good. Won’t be towing or hauling anything over OEM capacities anyways.

6AFF7C14 2190 4EF3 97E1 0DE5C4A9ABA7

9B7AAAC1 0E40 4B26 8EB2 66BF2E8E57C4

Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I had the same interference on my 2020 P500, the rib on the rear gearbox (it’s not a differential). I did not want to cut on the gearbox, so I used a grinder to make the notch on the square tubing of the moose hitch. I also put a spot of black spray paint to slow the rusting. Finally, I added extra washers under the mounting bolts to space the moose hitch out from the frame a bit more. This hitch is so much more practical than the small built in hitch, and I do not pull anything heavy.

View

Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I was using an adapter like that, but the extra length of a hitch and being low to the ground, it became awkward and dragged on the ground if you go up or down a hill. The moose hitch seems to be a useful height, about the same distance above ground as the hitch on my pickup truck. With a hitch hauler and soft rear springs, it was hitting the ground with only 100 pounds in the hitch hauler.

K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
I did not have any issues with the Moose hitch hitting the gear box on my 2015 P500. I did have to open up the holes in the hitch to get all of the bolts to go through. I do need to trim some of the back of my Curt D Ring shackle since it does hit the gear box and prevents me from having the d ring parallel to the ground plunger I can't get the hitch pin either. The Curt works fine if I turn it 90 degrees though.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I put a KFI front hitch on the front bumper for my hitch hauler, and then added this 'adapter' to the rear for my road feeder. Am I asking for trouble simply using the adapter?

View attachment 353037
I had one of those for a while and I did not like it. It was heavy, and stuck out way too far when I put the 2" hitch in it. It also bottomed out on steep transitions. I don't tow anything really heavy, so I got one of these and it works for just about anything that I need to do.

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520

Looks like all the other pictures you have seen after its on.

On my 21, I didn't have to make the notch. Two of my spacers were missing from my packaging, so my new spacers were just enough to clear the gear case without modification.

Rob

Last edited:
W

wtmcminn

Aug 10, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
View attachment 353557

Looks like all the other pictures you have seen after its on.

On my 21, I didn't have to make the notch. Two of my spacers were missing from my packaging, so my new spacers were just enough to clear the gear case without modification.

Rob
What part number is typed on those instructions? I got mine today, went to put it on, the instructions sheet says 2015 Honda Pioneer 500, part number 4504-0146. Couldn't get the holes to line up. Just hanging it on the upper bolts, the bottom holes were 1/8-1/4" off and I didn't want to force/drill anything for fear I had the wrong part number shipped from Motosport? Any help here? I was also missing 3 small spacers...good grief,.

Reactions: crewcabrob
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Mine didn’t line up perfect, but I didn’t have to drill the holes out. I just used a little leverage to help line up the holes. Make sure you don’t tighten anything down until you get them lined up.
I took one of my small spacers to the hardware store, found the closest thing I could and bought 4 so they would all match. That’s crazy you were only given 1 in your parts bag.

V

Vyza

Sep 30, 2021
Macungie, PA
Ownership

1. 520
That's the same part number listed on my instructions for the hitch that I just bought last week. I found the lower holes to be very tight and the top holes were a little more off. I wanted to use M10 bolts instead of the included 3/8" bolts to keep everything metric. I was able to use M10 bolts for the lower holes, but not the top. I had to use the 3/8" bolts for the top and realized that they probably included the smaller bolts to make up for any tolerance issues.

I had to put one bolt in the bottom with the the nut just barely on and then had to put a lot of pressure on the mount to get the second bottom bolt to align while turning the bolt with a wrench to get it to screw into the hole. I had to keep using the wrench to get the bolt far enough through the hole to fasten the nut. I then alternately tightened each bolt from the back which pushed the mount away from the frame. This provided more wiggle room. I repeated this process for the top bolts. And, once I had all of the nuts on the bolts, I alternately tightened each nut a half turn or so at a time.

In retrospect, I wish I would have just widened all four of the holes a little before installation. And, although I currently have it installed this way, I will probably remove the top 3/8" bolts, drill larger top holes, and replace with M10 bolts.

Reactions: crewcabrob
K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
I had to open up all four holes by 1/32" to get all of the bolts to go through. The hitch receiver has been stable and good to go. I have pulled a few small trees by using a logging chain and a D Ring shackle in the receiver hitch.

I did double check afterwards to make sure the bolts were still tight and they didn't stretch any. The bolts were fine and no damage to the receiver either.

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I just installed the same hitch. Dennis Kirk / Moose left out 2 of the small spacers that go on between the outside of the frame and the hitch. They were good about sending the missing spacers.
The install was fairly easy. The holes were off just enough that the bolts were difficult to get through the holes. I didn't have to drill larger holes or cut part of the hitch.
The hitch is heavy-duty. It will be handy to assist in moving thr atv trailer in the yard.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!