BOX1

P500 Moose 2" Receiver Hitch Installation

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3748

I finally broke down and ordered the Moose Utility 2" receiver hitch to replace the 1.25" hitch. Well, it doesn't really replace it because the 1.25" hitch remains installed. I'll probably put a D-ring just in case I need to tow someone home.

This is what comes in the box. 2" receiver hitch, all necessary hardware and instructions.
IMAG00693

No modifications need to be done to install the hitch. You use the lower A-arm bolts and the existing holes in the frame.
IMAG00692

Jack up the rear of the Pioneer until the rear wheels are just off the ground. Remove the nuts from the lower A-arm bolts using a 14mm socket and wrench.
IMAG00694

To remove the lower A-arm bolts, you need to relieve the pressure from the rear wheels. You can have someone help you with this or you can wedge a board under one tire and lift until you can easily slide the bolt out.
IMAG00695

To avoid having to realign the A-arm after the bolt comes out, I slid another bolt in from the other side. Then I inserted the longer bolt that came with the kit, pushing out the temporary bolt.
IMAG00696

Install the included spacers on the bottom.
IMAG00698

The upper holes get the same spacer, plus an additional long spacer in the pocket of the frame.
IMAG00699

Align the hitch if needed and tighten all of the bolts. The lower A-arm nuts use the same 14mm socket, however, the bolts have a 17mm head. The uppers use a 9/16" socket and wrench. Lower your Pioneer and you're done.

The new receiver hitch is almost as high as my F150 receiver hitch.
IMAG00701

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Hmmm, I like that. Probably stronger than stock and gets it higher and out of the way. Plus you keep the other hitch for d-ring. May have to look into this mod!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
D

Deleted member 3748

Hmmm, I like that. Probably stronger than stock and gets it higher and out of the way. Plus you keep the other hitch for d-ring. May have to look into this mod!
Much stronger than stock. People have been breaking the stock hitches when they have an upward force on them, liked you'd get if you were pulling farm equipment that tills a field or something. :) I'm not much of a farmer, but I'm sure they could tell you all about it.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
If I had a 500 that would be on order already!
Looks stronger than the stock 2" hitch on the P1000

Edit - by the way, I only read this thread cause it had "moose" in the title. I wanted to know what a moose hitch was. Maybe I would need one for the coming season in fall. LOL

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Well, just one more thing I'll have to buy. Ha! That seems to be a quality item, and useful to have. One question, does it hinder inspection of the rear differential oil level? It seems like it might make it a little harder to get to. If you can still get to the plug, it's not a huge deterrent, but something to consider.

D

Deleted member 3748

Well, just one more thing I'll have to buy. Ha! That seems to be a quality item, and useful to have. One question, does it hinder inspection of the rear differential oil level? It seems like it might make it a little harder to get to. If you can still get to the plug, it's not a huge deterrent, but something to consider.
If the plug is the bolt on the passenger side, you can get it with an extension and stick your finger in the hole to check the level. If not, you can get the hitch off in two minutes.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
If the plug is the bolt on the passenger side, you can get it with an extension and stick your finger in the hole to check the level. If not, you can get the hitch off in two minutes.
Well, that's not a problem. I like the idea of having 2 different pulling points, AND a higher hitch point for pulling "roadway" trailers. Also, it should stiffen up the rear suspension attachment points, so-BONUS! Ha! Probably order one in the next few days.

B

Bowtech32

Dec 6, 2013
How strong would this be? looks like it could bend the frame that the A arms attach to if you pulled a heavy load.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I finally broke down and ordered the Moose Utility 2" receiver hitch to replace the 1.25" hitch. Well, it doesn't really replace it because the 1.25" hitch remains installed. I'll probably put a D-ring just in case I need to tow someone home.

This is what comes in the box. 2" receiver hitch, all necessary hardware and instructions.
View attachment 16307

No modifications need to be done to install the hitch. You use the lower A-arm bolts and the existing holes in the frame.
View attachment 16308

Jack up the rear of the Pioneer until the rear wheels are just off the ground. Remove the nuts from the lower A-arm bolts using a 14mm socket and wrench.
View attachment 16309

To remove the lower A-arm bolts, you need to relieve the pressure from the rear wheels. You can have someone help you with this or you can wedge a board under one tire and lift until you can easily slide the bolt out.
View attachment 16310

To avoid having to realign the A-arm after the bolt comes out, I slid another bolt in from the other side. Then I inserted the longer bolt that came with the kit, pushing out the temporary bolt.
View attachment 16311

Install the included spacers on the bottom.
View attachment 16312

The upper holes get the same spacer, plus an additional long spacer in the pocket of the frame.
View attachment 16313

Align the hitch if needed and tighten all of the bolts. The lower A-arm nuts use the same 14mm socket, however, the bolts have a 17mm head. The uppers use a 9/16" socket and wrench. Lower your Pioneer and you're done.

The new receiver hitch is almost as high as my F150 receiver hitch.
View attachment 16314

Thanks for sharing, I just ran across this. Gives a lot more attachment options for sure!

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I've been looking at ways to add a 2" hitch and saw this tread a couple of weeks ago and ordered the hitch. It's great. Very easy install, everything included, very strong and looks good.

D

Deleted member 3748

I've been looking at ways to add a 2" hitch and saw this tread a couple of weeks ago and ordered the hitch. It's great. Very easy install, everything included, very strong and looks good.
Glad to hear you like it. I use it all the time and have nothing bad to say about this upgrade.

G

Grizzbut

Aug 19, 2016
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Great posts with great graphics Piston. I have been wanting to do something like this and appreciate the information. Have you seen an attachment to add to it that would hold a spare tire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 3748

Thanks, Grizz. I haven't seen a spare tire holder, but any accessory that fits into a standard 2" receiver would work.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the write up Piston. Picked up a Honda powered portable capstan winch yesterday and thinking the Moose hitch may come in handy. GAS-POWERED PULLING WINCH. MAX. PULLING FORCE: 700 KG - PCW3000

Will order one up when I get time. Wondering if you added a plate/steel strap on the backside of the frame where Moose attaches thereby linking both frame sides together if that would increase strength too? Do you think there is room for that?

Thanks again,

j

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the write up Piston. Picked up a Honda powered portable capstan winch yesterday and thinking the Moose hitch may come in handy. GAS-POWERED PULLING WINCH. MAX. PULLING FORCE: 700 KG - PCW3000

Will order one up when I get time. Wondering if you added a plate/steel strap on the backside of the frame where Moose attaches thereby linking both frame sides together if that would increase strength too? Do you think there is room for that?

Thanks again,

j

Holy sh** that thing's expensive. Cool though.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!