P500 More comfortable...P500 or ATV?

F

Fez24

Dec 7, 2018
wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
New to UTV/ATV's so I need some advice. Which do you think would make for a more comfortable trail machine, a Pioneer 500 or and ATV with IRS?

Most of my riding will be on trails, sight seeing, nothing demanding since I have some medical issues with lower body nerve damage. Comfort is most important and sad to say speed is no longer high on my list. :(

Any and all advice will be appreciated...

Thanks,
Fez24

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've not had a quad with IRS (mine have all been straight rear axles), but the P500 is a rough ride at any speed. The straight axle ride is still a far better ride than the P500. In/Out of the bench seat is easier than on/off of the atv IMO, but that would be easy for you to decide on the dealer floor. My gut says the benefit of the quad ride over the P500 ride would override the difference in getting in versus on to ride. The extra seat to take someone along though is worth considering as well. If a smoother ride is your biggest concern either plan on after market suspension on the P500 (or potentially a different SxS) or go with the ATV is my bottom line recommendation for you.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
New to UTV/ATV's so I need some advice. Which do you think would make for a more comfortable trail machine, a Pioneer 500 or and ATV with IRS?

Most of my riding will be on trails, sight seeing, nothing demanding since I have some medical issues with lower body nerve damage. Comfort is most important and sad to say speed is no longer high on my list. :(

Thanks,
Fez24
Given that you have lower body nerve damage my thought is you may want to rent one of each and see what works best for you. The ATV with IRS will ride nicer but getting your leg over to mount and dismount may be difficult. Having had both I like my P5 better but I always do have the wife with me and the ride of the P5 is harsh but not you cannot get used to. The seat in the P5 may be a better fit as it will keep your back straighter, but can you work the throttle and the brake on the P5 with you nerve damage?

dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I've got a Rubicon that I've had for years and since I got my pioneer I haven't rode it other than to plow snow
Both have their pros and cons but I find that the p5 is more comfortable easier to get on and more practical for me
Not to mention you can take a passenger

oldfokker

oldfokker

Oct 31, 2018
Quadra Island, BC
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks,
Fez24
Hi Fez, I also have back problems and own both Yamaha 450 atv and a new P500. The atv definitely has a “softer” ride but the Pioneer has the benefit of back support. I was disappointed with the Pioneer’s ride the day that I got it and after a little investigation I found that te dealer had shipped it to me with 26 pounds of air in the tires and the shocks set at maximum. I reduced the air to 5.5 pounds and reset the shocks to soft. I also removed the rear sway bar which added a bit more give to the suspension. The ride has improved greatly and works for me but your problem may be worse than mine so I would also go with a bigger tire (26 or 27”) with low air pressure to improve the ride further.
The biggest benefit that the Yam has over the Honda is your freedom to stand over the really rough stuff. This absorbs the back killing side to side motion that because of the short wheel travel the Pioneer falls short.
That said I take it easy with my Pioneer and just love it. It is a much better workhorse to have around the property with it’s gear driven transmission than the Yamaha ever was.
Good luck with your choice!

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I have had lots of atvs and the family still has several atvs but I prefer my p5 for almost all conditions. When I think of comfort I don’t think of just the suspension. Here are a few things I fell make the p5 better than a atv. I know you can add most of this stuff to an atv and even get a two person atv but I think it’s a lot easier on a sxs. Also adding a little taller tires and some spacers to a p5 really helps smooth out the ride.

1. It’s easy to add a top and windows to a sxs for riding in the rain, cold or to get out of the sun.
2. Briars don’t smack me in the face on my sxs. I also leave the window nets and doors on for this reason.
3. I find the seat in the p5 more comfortable.
4. Bringing along a friend is nice too.

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
The ride on my 500 is not as comfortable as it could be however it is acceptable to me. The big thing with it for me is that my wife does not want to drive her own ATV and would not go with me to the woods. However since we have bought the 500 she goes with me all of the time, and that out weighs the negatives for me.

D

DDDonkey

I don't have a P500 but a 1000-5, I just sold my quad (strait rear axle) because of back issues. I too have nerve damage in my lower extremities and back issues from the military. The getting on and off was not the issue but the ride was, even going slow. I would lean toward the P500 and then you could take a friend too. If the ride is too bad then maybe change out the shocks, good luck and I know what you're going through.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I have A Pioneer 500 . RZR 900 trail . 2016 Yamaha Grizzly SE quad and a few others . The RZR is the more comfortable and smoother ride than the Pioneer , the Grizzly is a smoother ride than both . As for comfort , it's all about you baby . BEST suggestion you have here is narrow down your choices then rent them or find folks who will let you take theirs for a ride that would be comparable with your intended use . If you get in my neighborhood (not likely I know) you could sure try out any of mine .

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Given that you have lower body nerve damage my thought is you may want to rent one of each and see what works best for you. The ATV with IRS will ride nicer but getting your leg over to mount and dismount may be difficult. Having had both I like my P5 better but I always do have the wife with me and the ride of the P5 is harsh but not you cannot get used to. The seat in the P5 may be a better fit as it will keep your back straighter, but can you work the throttle and the brake on the P5 with you nerve damage?
Best advise right here.

Reactions: Duckhunt
D

Duckhunt

Best advise right here.
X2.

I have a bad lower back and all my toys have been and will be based on how my back responds. On that note, my experience is ATV's you can compensate more for rough terrain, throw a knee on the seat, etc, but there's not much back support. I know you can get those backrests - I've never tried one. But after a long ride I'm done - back is toast and I'm nursing it for the next day, maybe 2. But on my P5 I have to absorb everything I go over but with what I consider nice back support at the end of the day I may walk a little funny for 5 minutes but that's it.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500

Thanks,
Fez24
The speed and terrain you want to ride is a factor too. If you like to go fast off-road the quad is for you. If there are lots of rocks around and don’t mind putting around the pioneer is a lot more comfortable than a quad. I love the pioneer and don’t use the quad unless I going in really tight places.

Reactions: Mudder
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've not had a quad with IRS (mine have all been straight rear axles), but the P500 is a rough ride at any speed. The straight axle ride is still a far better ride than the P500. In/Out of the bench seat is easier than on/off of the atv IMO, but that would be easy for you to decide on the dealer floor. My gut says the benefit of the quad ride over the P500 ride would override the difference in getting in versus on to ride. The extra seat to take someone along though is worth considering as well. If a smoother ride is your biggest concern either plan on after market suspension on the P500 (or potentially a different SxS) or go with the ATV is my bottom line recommendation for you.
P1 ??????

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
P1 ??????
Talon 1000R!
Honestly ... depends on the budget. If the funds are there then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the P1000 to someone. If budget is a big factor though and someone needs to be well under 10k then deciding between a P500 and an ATV then the advice being offered in the thread seems pretty decent to me. Definitely doesn't seem like an easy decision depending on how limiting the nerve pain might be and what affects it the most.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Talon 1000R!
Honestly ... depends on the budget. If the funds are there then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the P1000 to someone. If budget is a big factor though and someone needs to be well under 10k then deciding between a P500 and an ATV then the advice being offered in the thread seems pretty decent to me. Definitely doesn't seem like an easy decision depending on how limiting the nerve pain might be and what affects it the most.
I agree! I would like to have a P5!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
First, welcome to the forum, and plan on keeping the P500 for a long, long time.
Have similar spine nerve issue, disc replacement. Had P500 with larger 27 inch tires for 2 years now and run 6-7 psi and much smoother ride than stock. Ride about 2 hrs at a time and OK. Just got a Polaris Ace which has a more comfortable high back seat and softer ride, but its not a Honda and must prove itself for reliability. That said, I am limited to 50 inch wide trails, so thats why the P500 and Ace. If I had more access to wider trails, the options expand, like a P1000 or Wloverine X2 which likely have a smoother ride from comments I’ve seen. But for dependability and easy getting in and out, VERY pleased with the Honda P500. Also have atv Rancher with IRS, PS, but seldom ride it after getting a sit down sxs. As said, best to try them out. Hope this helps, but just my opinion.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Have similar spine nerve issue, disc replacement. Had P500 with larger tires for 2 years now and run 6-7 psi and much smoother ride than stock. Ride about 2 hrs at a time and OK. Just got a Polaris Ace which has a more comfortable high back seat and softer ride, but its not a Honda and must prove itself for reliability. That said, I am limited to 50 inch wide trails, so thats why the P500 and Ace. If I had more access to wider trails, the options expand, like a P1000 or Wloverine X2 which likely have a smoother ride from comments I’ve seen. But for dependability and easy getting in and out, VERY pleased with the Honda P500. Also have atv Rancher with IRS, PS, but seldom ride it after getting a sit down sxs. As said, best to try them out. Hope this helps, but just my opinion.
I agree!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum! You can also add power steering to the P5 which might help you out also. Not sure if that is available for the 4 wheeler you are considering, or if you would even need it on a 4 wheeler.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!