P1000m5 Mounting Everything Under the Hood

D

Drose807

Sep 7, 2022
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Hello fellow Pioneers,

I just got my 17 Pioneer 1000-5 a month ago and am prepping to install a KFI winch, dual battery system, fuse box and then a PBR switch plate.

I’m finding locations for all the pieces under the hood and I was wondering how everyone is securing everything.

My first thought is putting the winch relay on the flat plastic behind the 2nd battery, but there is metal framing underneath. It’s a great location but tight to drill holes unless I go buy a right angle drill and hope it fits.

I see most people put the dual battery isolator in the middle location, where some put their winch relay, however my winch doesn’t fit so that’s why it’s moved to the back.

Then I found a small spot for the stinger relay to power the fuse box. I’m not a fan of the location on the right side by main battery but I don’t want to clutter everything behind the second battery.

My main question is about securing everything. Is screwing to plastic secure or is waterproof velcro feasible. Any recommendations on locations and securing the items would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance! 2ba5849be20a3a426ef500065857c569

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put my winch relay side-mounted on the left side. I used screws on most everything.

You can also see the aluminum frame I built over my aux battery. I mounted a piece of black ABS to it, and then put my fuse box on it to make more mounting space above the battery.

0803201833 HDR kindlephoto 32359505

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For fastening things, like a fuse block, where it's convenient to remove same to add wiring etc., 3M Dual Lock is an excellent choice. Clean surface with denatured or rubbing alcohol prior to applying. Rivet nuts (Rivnuts) can be used as well.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put my winch relay right where you have yours, and put my "stinger" right next to it just outboard of the relay. I had a angle head to fit my Dewalt 20V. impact and just mounted both with drill screws. My True is right in the middle... that makes for easy short battery leads for both. For the fuse block, I screwed down a piece of velcro with flat head screws, then put the matching piece on my fuse block. makes it easy to pull off in order to add more wiring as necessary. Mounted it on the side wall passenger side. That kept the lead from the stinger very short too. Used the Club adapter plug for the cigarette lighter plug for the accessory on power and ran it to the stinger. So far, everything has worked perfectly... well except my bride blew the fuse in the cigarette lighter plug circuit with a sparyer kit that had a cigarette lighter plug for power to the pump... That's on the "list" to fix this evening as a matter of fact.

Oh yea, don't forget to go back and update your profile of ownership now that you've landed a mochine! Then go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself and post some pics of your ride... I hear tell that blue is the "purist"... whatever that's supposed to mean... It's not red so it's not the fastest. It's not green so it's not the toughest (go Army strong)... It's not camo so it's not the stealthiest... Guess Blue gott'a be the purist?? :) 👍

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I put my winch relay right where you have yours, and put my "stinger" right next to it just outboard of the relay. I had a angle head to fit my Dewalt 20V. impact and just mounted both with drill screws. My True is right in the middle... that makes for easy short battery leads for both. For the fuse block, I screwed down a piece of velcro with flat head screws, then put the matching piece on my fuse block. makes it easy to pull off in order to add more wiring as necessary. Mounted it on the side wall passenger side. That kept the lead from the stinger very short too. Used the Club adapter plug for the cigarette lighter plug for the accessory on power and ran it to the stinger. So far, everything has worked perfectly... well except my bride blew the fuse in the cigarette lighter plug circuit with a sparyer kit that had a cigarette lighter plug for power to the pump... That's on the "list" to fix this evening as a matter of fact.

Oh yea, don't forget to go back and update your profile of ownership now that you've landed a mochine! Then go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself and post some pics of your ride... I hear tell that blue is the "purist"... whatever that's supposed to mean... It's not red so it's not the fastest. It's not green so it's not the toughest (go Army strong)... It's not camo so it's not the stealthiest... Guess Blue gott'a be the purist?? :) 👍
Post a pic of that when you have time.

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Post a pic of that when you have time.
Just seein' this this morning... I'll try to remember to get a pic this evening when I get to the house and will post up. Gotta replace the accessory fuse anyway... Wife plugged a pump sprayer into the cigarette lighter plug and it blew the fuse after running a bit... That will give me an excuse to be under the hood!

Reactions: ChadD
GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just seein' this this morning... I'll try to remember to get a pic this evening when I get to the house and will post up. Gotta replace the accessory fuse anyway... Wife plugged a pump sprayer into the cigarette lighter plug and it blew the fuse after running a bit... That will give me an excuse to be under the hood!
No rush, I’m out of town anyway. Just want to get some ideas.

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here are some pics. Was dark so used garage lighting and had a hard time getting a clear shot without casting a shadow over the area. The big black thing in the back is the winch solenoid. To the left of it is the stinger. The fuse terminal is on the side wall just in front of the stinger.
FYI that prefilter mod is a 2” shower drain with metal cover attached to a flex pipe elbow. I cut off the original cover and salvaged the relay bank cover.
725258B5 32AA 4A5F B895 1C7D0E09DFB4
2A5E9BD1 2961 417F 9842 88F54A9641F6
01ABBCBB 2747 4EA3 8D2D 911C7DC23BFD

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you tell me more about your battery hold down setup? Is that the long J hook bolts? Did you just drill holes in the base of the tray and hook them in? I'm looking at options for mine right now. Thanks
I cut a nylon cinch strap (the kind with camlock buckle) and used hot melt clue to attach the buckle side to the vertical side wall of the battery box, and the plain strap side to the other side. Using a piece of black closed cell foam sheet (or similar) under the battery (or between the battery and fuse box or whatever mounted on top of the battery) allows some compression and helps keep the strap tight when cinching it up.

I cleaned the plastic surface with alcohol before gluing the straps in place, then tested the attachment for shear strength - it's more than strong enough. Hint, wear gloves when pressing the nylon strap and hot melt glue into place.

Elfalfa

Elfalfa

Feb 5, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used 3m 2 sided tape and cleaned the areas before with rubbing alcohol. Also used some small screws for fuse block.

20220921 150047

S

shaundeere

Aug 25, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’m working on my dual battery setup as well. I chose to mount the fuse block on top of the cubby in the dash using hook lock tape. It works out great with the large cutout in the dash. I made the feed wires slightly long so I can pull the fuse block into cab for easy wiring. This way the wiring to the switches is shorter and it keeps the clutter out of the under hood area. I also used the hook lock tape that came with the true isolator. Seems to be holding strong. Time will tell.
A67D94CE 96CF 4C30 AAEA 2CB8B66ED80E
D39D1DE3 D6B0 426D BA98 5CFD6F1D8CC6

MC_Crowbar

MC_Crowbar

Lifetime Member
Mar 4, 2018
McAlester, OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went a little different route than most with my fuse/relay box. I hung it and the winch breaker with some zip ties from the metal tube over the top of the hood bay. Isolator mounted in the middle, winch relay on the driver's side, and a ground bus on the passenger side bolted to the plastic next/above the second battery.. If It were to do it again, I'd use a Stinger and mount it on the passengers side mirroring the winch relay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01 and GovtMule
Bow4life

Bow4life

Supporting Member
Mar 5, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I mounted my winch solenoid on the far left to the left of the fuse panel. It's just screwed into the plastic. Holds fine. I wanted it on that side because the winch terminals are on the same side and made the shortest wire run. My fuse panel is screwed to the top of the air intake cover on a mounting plate. I just trimmed off a couple of the "fins". My bus bars are just screwed into the plastic. My auxiliary relay is mounted to the outside of the glove box so its hidden from view and doesnt clutter up the underhood area. One small tip is if you live where it gets cold, ditch the stinger, they are known to fail when it gets cold. The Cole Hersee marine grade one doesnt seem to have that issue. My relay box is mounted behind the switch panel to the top of the lower cargo pocket. I wanted to keep the underhood area as close to factory looking as possible. My tru isolator is just mounted with 3m double side tape. I would label everything on the picture but I cant figure out how to add text to my pics but you can see everything anyway. I can add other pics if you want to see the relay box and switch panel. I also used alot of zip ties and wire loom because I cant stand wires all over the place. Best of luck.

20220422 141025

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!