Moving across America Questions, Shipping Containers etc...

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As I plan to be moving to Idaho here shortly I have quite a bit of things that I need to bring out with me. I’m contemplating getting a shipping container and having it shipped out there. Not sure how much that would cost but the container looks like to be at least under $5000. I’ve never had a shipping container shipped anywhere so I don’t even know where to look for that and is your stuff safe do they inspect it that kind of thing because somethings I might not want people to know about like my Casper the friendly ghost collection. Nothing illegal mind you, I just don’t wanna haul everything in my truck. I’m assuming with a shipping container I could bring a bunch of my household furniture some of my farm supplies a pioneer or two…. Once I’m set up in Idaho I can have the shipping container delivered to the property and use it for storage and or a living space until I can get something better set up. Otherwise I might look at a moving company. There’s a company called you pack where they drop off a big shipping container trailer for $5000 they’ll ship a a four bedroom sized trailer across the country. I like the idea of the shipping container better. I just don’t know How to go about getting that whole process started. Plus guarantees is your stuff safe we delivered and so are any thoughts from truckers would be greatly appreciated thank you

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As I plan to be moving to Idaho here shortly I have quite a bit of things that I need to bring out with me. I’m contemplating getting a shipping container and having it shipped out there. Not sure how much that would cost but the container looks like to be at least under $5000. I’ve never had a shipping container shipped anywhere so I don’t even know where to look for that and is your stuff safe do they inspect it that kind of thing because somethings I might not want people to know about like my Casper the friendly ghost collection. Nothing illegal mind you, I just don’t wanna haul everything in my truck. I’m assuming with a shipping container I could bring a bunch of my household furniture some of my farm supplies a pioneer or two…. Once I’m set up in Idaho I can have the shipping container delivered to the property and use it for storage and or a living space until I can get something better set up. Otherwise I might look at a moving company. There’s a company called you pack where they drop off a big shipping container trailer for $5000 they’ll ship a a four bedroom sized trailer across the country. I like the idea of the shipping container better. I just don’t know How to go about getting that whole process started. Plus guarantees is your stuff safe we delivered and so are any thoughts from truckers would be greatly appreciated thank you
Could buy container out there and use the shipping pod company

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When I hotshotted for 3 years, I hauled empty containers from New Orleans to Memphis and back. I hauled 2 20 footers or 1 40 footer. As much stuff as you have I would get a 40 footer, purchase it, and find a dependable trucker to ship it. Back in 2000 they paid us a 1.00 a mile to haul them.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A 40x8 standard container will hold about a double garage amount of stuff. They also have doors on both ends as an option. I think if you buy one they are usually 1500.00 to 2,000.00 used. Ebay may have them and you could use that as an average price

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The containers called cargo containers or C cans have been going up steadily for the past yr. I just bought a new (one trip over from China) 20' for $3250 plus delivery, which was about $500 cheaper than anywhere else I could find. Most used 20' are at least 1500, most 2000, depending on location. Shipping that far will be a pretty penny. Remember, when unloading after hauling you will need equipment for that, unless it is on a 'roll back'.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!