BOX1

Mud guard for firewall

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
So I already added the mud/dust aftermarket kit. But my solenoid for my winch still got wet on the last trip and fried out. I did mount it to the back of the fender well, obviously on the inside. But right above it is a hole for a bracket, and it appears the water came in there and soaked it. Picture of hole below. So I bought a IP66 waterproof box and I am putting the solenoid in there. You can see it in the picture below. Now I'm working on a shield to go under the bottom part of the aftermarket fire wall shield and back towards the middle of the machine. It seems a lot of water is coming in through there as well. Where we ride, water holes are unavoidable. The trails are really tight, and we hit some deep water. So it's not like I can just "go around" the water holes. Has anyone else made some kind of shield to block water coming up from the bottom? I'm also going to fill in that hole with some caulk so water doesn't come through there either.

IMG 0819 IMG 0818

Reactions: Isaiah
R

rickoshea

i have the same problem with my p1k.water flows thru the opening where the footpedals bolt.i plastered the floor with boom mat and so far it's working.

Reactions: Isaiah
Moab_Marty

Moab_Marty

Jul 12, 2019
Moab + Western CO
Ownership

1. Talon R
PhilCod, wondering what the make and model of winch you are using. I think I see the waterproof box in the photo you provided. How are you going to seal the large and small wires ? Was the original winch relay that low too ?

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
PhilCod, wondering what the make and model of winch you are using. I think I see the waterproof box in the photo you provided. How are you going to seal the large and small wires ? Was the original winch relay that low too ?
I have a KFI 5,000 Lbs. winch. I sealed up the holes the best I could with silicone caulk. I did drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the box. I mounted my other solenoid just under that hole where the bracket comes though, (1st picture). Not my best idea ever! I did add another piece of plastic to the bottom of the firewall. I'll get a picture of that and put it on here as well. I went on a ride down at my buddies place on the river over the weekend. So it will be interesting to see how much water got in. I see your in Moab. In 2018 my buddy and I went out to Utah and rode the Arapeen system. We were on ATV's not SXS. One of the best rides I'd ever been on.

H

HondaTech

if a winch contactor can't stand water and mud then its not worth much in my book.

I use to mount warm contactors in the rear fender wells of atvs and never had one fail.

Reactions: trigger
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Turns out my accessory fuse was blown. I tried using a ac air pump, and it blew the fuse. So my guess is my solenoid was fine. I had an extra, so it wasn't like I bought a new one.
I know what Honda Tech means about the solenoid being mounted in fender wells. My Rincon had a Superwinch, and the solenoid was mounted in the back and took all kinds of mud and water.

Reactions: CID and Moab_Marty
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!