P500 My cheap but effective build!

W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
So in the spirit of saving pennies for tires and a winch, I decided to see what i could do with material i had laying around the shop to spruce up the new 500!

First up was storage on the back rack, this was easy enough as i had a checkerplate truck box. so i just cut out a chunk, slid the ends together and welded it back up. Used the trimmed out material to make a frame of the back for gas can and chainsaw. Bolted it through the flats on the back rack.
MqjG01b

W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Now all that good roof space seemed to good to waste....didn't want to add any height so I made it wedge shape level with the height at the back of the roof

HVmMXYS

The toolbox under the hood is mounted to some 1 1/2" square tubing that I welded in a "y" shape that went between the front and rear frame bars. was able to mount it to the side to allow full access to the rad reservoir. drilled and bolted on.

W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
today was working on front bumper and bush guard....again, some angle iron, flat bar, heave wall pipe I had on hand. Gotta search around to find another chunk of expanded metal to finish the brush guard. All attached with muffler clamps. Gotta hit it with the grinder and smooth out the corners then it'll be ready for paint! hopefully get up pics of the completed work tommorrow!

KkSdUN8

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
You saved a lot of money and it looks great!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Nice work! There is just a certain level of satisfaction when you use stuff you have lying around your shop that you don't get with buying something and bolting it on!

Reactions: trigger
W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks folks! Pretty happy with how it all came together...just hoping its rattle free! Will find out on next weeks moose hunt!

Chris

Reactions: Bigtee
W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
here she is with her new dancing shoes! Also pulled the sway bar and plan to add spacers in at least the back end. Have been warned that these tires will cover me in mud so next fab project will be fender extensions!

JcrdwBw

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
have the basics of a rear extender worked out...needs more shaping but the basic idea is there....still trying to figure out the front
View attachment 55730

View attachment 55731

Nice, digging that diamond plate! I kicked the idea around a bit myself and would only suggest putting a downward bend toward the outside edge. Would give it the look of a flare instead of a flap and make it more rigid as well. Takes more time and work, which is why I bailed on it, but would look BA!

W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, thats the plan trigger! Have started shaping the curl where it comes down in the front using a hammer and a baseball! once I get it shaped in the front, the straight run to the back will go pretty quickly! But it definately does take time....probably get em roughed in and leave it till after hunting season!

Chris

Reactions: trigger
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Thinking of rubber flares as sometimes rub trees and want some flex and not crack plastic fenders.

EB0D9109 B338 4EA4 8357 046D283194E2

Reactions: jinx
W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, I had the same concern, so i'm staying away from the plastic fenders as well....muffler clamps right to the back tube rack. not sure what i'm gonna do in the front though

Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!