My New Ride in NE Tennessee

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Strawberry Plains!
Mine is called “Spoonbill” as I will be using it 50% for duck hunting and the rest for farm use.

Sounds as if you will be asking for quite a bit of “Forgiveness” with all the mods! I am in the same shape with my new PIK5 purchased from Chattanooga. I saw where you purchased a rear rack? This for tools on your farm or ? Secondly, have you located a decent gun rack ? I am trying to locate a rack for the main cab so we can keep the shotguns somewhat out of the weather and mud.

Reactions: Isaiah
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Howdy Y'all!

Very first post, and I want to start off by offering my sincere thanks for the wealth of information y'all have recorded here. As soon as I started looking for a SxS, and had narrowed down to the Pioneer, I ended up here and started learning about everything Pioneer. It was a tremendous help, and I will continue to use this site to gain more knowledge and insight, and to show off my rig as she progresses through upgrades & mods.

Meet the 'Secret Squirrel', my new 2020 1000-5 Deluxe, bone stock on my first day out.
View attachment 211998
She's called the Secret Squirrel because hunting squirrels will be her primary function. I just friggen' LOVE to hunt squirrels! I'm sure she'll spend loads of time helping out on my little hobby farm, and there are lots of folks around here that take road & trail trips on the weekends that I'm looking forward to joining (and they all ride Polaris RZRs so I guess I'll be the Designated Tow Vehicle!). However, between myself and neighbors we have several hundred acres with some pretty good trails that provide access to some sweet squirrel spots.

I had placed my order the first week of June, and I was able to pick her up on June 25th at the Honda dealer in Greenville, TN. When I picked her up I went ahead and bought the service kit so I could do it myself, and did so at 100.3 miles. I used (but didn't abuse) her pretty good during the initial 100-mile break-in, over a pretty fair mix of slightly muddy trails, gravel, and hard surfaced roads. On the hard road I got her up to 50 mph, but didn't want to do too much until after the first oil change. At 100 miles, I pulled her into the barn, jacked her up, and had no issues with the oil change execpt for the factory skid plates providing for a lot of drip spots during the draining. GN4 and Honda filters were used, although I'd like to go with Amsoil at some point. Didn't note any valve tapping or other strange noises.

After the initial service, I topped her off with no-ethanol gas to see how far she would go on a tank. The first thing I noticed right off was that she quieted down a bit after the break-in oil had been replaced. Next, I loaded up with 4 adults and hit a steep trail, and I found out how easy this thing just eats up altitude! We had been taking this same trail many times on my Rubicon and a Yamaha Rhino, and always had to 'negotiate' the trail a bit, but not with the Honda! I just put it in Low/4WD, just a touch of gas, aimed it in the right direction, and up she goes like a Homesick Angel! My buddy was sitting next to me, and he's the guy that owns the Rhino we had been using before I bought the Honda. The NEXT DAY he called my salesman at Greenville Honda and ordered his own. We'll pick it up in a few weeks.

I drove the snot out of it, enjoyed every minute of it, and finally, at 147 miles of the same mix of trail/gravel/road the low fuel mark flashed. It worked out to 23.8 mpg, I'd like to see that round out to at least 25 mpg as she continues to break in, so fingers are crossed. I did get her up to 62 mph before I ran out of straight road.

So far I've just added a SATV Hard Coat Flip-Up windshield, floor & bed mats, tire repair kit & 12v compressor, and a fire extinguisher. I pick up the hard roof from Honda on Thursday.

On order: BCF V2 rear rack
Wild Boar front bumper
Tru dual battery kit & battery
and a bunch of other little doo-dads like mirrors, a dome light, etc.

Next up: Winch, sound, LED lights, custom switch plate, obviously a gun rack, the list is endless, isn't it?

I know that I'll end up spending 95% of my SxS time just riding around with a big grin on my face, 4% working, and the remaining 1% really taking it hunting, but squirrel hunting is the theme!

Hopefully the Secret Squirrel and I will get a chance to meet some of y'all at RRB or somewhere else, I do know that I look forward to buying some of y'all a beer or two in gratitude for all of the info you have provided.

Take Care,
Tom
Welcome from eastern Oklahoma. You’re welcome to come to my ranch and kill every squirrel on it that gets the fruit from my orchard before I can get it... 🙄

Nice introduction post. Nice looking Pioneer....👍

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Howdy Y'all!

Very first post, and I want to start off by offering my sincere thanks for the wealth of information y'all have recorded here. As soon as I started looking for a SxS, and had narrowed down to the Pioneer, I ended up here and started learning about everything Pioneer. It was a tremendous help, and I will continue to use this site to gain more knowledge and insight, and to show off my rig as she progresses through upgrades & mods.

Meet the 'Secret Squirrel', my new 2020 1000-5 Deluxe, bone stock on my first day out.
View attachment 211998
She's called the Secret Squirrel because hunting squirrels will be her primary function. I just friggen' LOVE to hunt squirrels! I'm sure she'll spend loads of time helping out on my little hobby farm, and there are lots of folks around here that take road & trail trips on the weekends that I'm looking forward to joining (and they all ride Polaris RZRs so I guess I'll be the Designated Tow Vehicle!). However, between myself and neighbors we have several hundred acres with some pretty good trails that provide access to some sweet squirrel spots.

I had placed my order the first week of June, and I was able to pick her up on June 25th at the Honda dealer in Greenville, TN. When I picked her up I went ahead and bought the service kit so I could do it myself, and did so at 100.3 miles. I used (but didn't abuse) her pretty good during the initial 100-mile break-in, over a pretty fair mix of slightly muddy trails, gravel, and hard surfaced roads. On the hard road I got her up to 50 mph, but didn't want to do too much until after the first oil change. At 100 miles, I pulled her into the barn, jacked her up, and had no issues with the oil change execpt for the factory skid plates providing for a lot of drip spots during the draining. GN4 and Honda filters were used, although I'd like to go with Amsoil at some point. Didn't note any valve tapping or other strange noises.

After the initial service, I topped her off with no-ethanol gas to see how far she would go on a tank. The first thing I noticed right off was that she quieted down a bit after the break-in oil had been replaced. Next, I loaded up with 4 adults and hit a steep trail, and I found out how easy this thing just eats up altitude! We had been taking this same trail many times on my Rubicon and a Yamaha Rhino, and always had to 'negotiate' the trail a bit, but not with the Honda! I just put it in Low/4WD, just a touch of gas, aimed it in the right direction, and up she goes like a Homesick Angel! My buddy was sitting next to me, and he's the guy that owns the Rhino we had been using before I bought the Honda. The NEXT DAY he called my salesman at Greenville Honda and ordered his own. We'll pick it up in a few weeks.

I drove the snot out of it, enjoyed every minute of it, and finally, at 147 miles of the same mix of trail/gravel/road the low fuel mark flashed. It worked out to 23.8 mpg, I'd like to see that round out to at least 25 mpg as she continues to break in, so fingers are crossed. I did get her up to 62 mph before I ran out of straight road.

So far I've just added a SATV Hard Coat Flip-Up windshield, floor & bed mats, tire repair kit & 12v compressor, and a fire extinguisher. I pick up the hard roof from Honda on Thursday.

On order: BCF V2 rear rack
Wild Boar front bumper
Tru dual battery kit & battery
and a bunch of other little doo-dads like mirrors, a dome light, etc.

Next up: Winch, sound, LED lights, custom switch plate, obviously a gun rack, the list is endless, isn't it?

I know that I'll end up spending 95% of my SxS time just riding around with a big grin on my face, 4% working, and the remaining 1% really taking it hunting, but squirrel hunting is the theme!

Hopefully the Secret Squirrel and I will get a chance to meet some of y'all at RRB or somewhere else, I do know that I look forward to buying some of y'all a beer or two in gratitude for all of the info you have provided.

Take Care,
Tom
Welcome to the club, I remember the stock days.

Reactions: Mopower58
TitanTom

TitanTom

Forum Rocket Scientist
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2020
NE Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Strawberry Plains!
Mine is called “Spoonbill” as I will be using it 50% for duck hunting and the rest for farm use.

Sounds as if you will be asking for quite a bit of “Forgiveness” with all the mods! I am in the same shape with my new PIK5 purchased from Chattanooga. I saw where you purchased a rear rack? This for tools on your farm or ? Secondly, have you located a decent gun rack ? I am trying to locate a rack for the main cab so we can keep the shotguns somewhat out of the weather and mud.

Howdy Spoonbill!
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply....

First, the BCF V2 will obviously carry a spare tire and cooler, with maybe a Rotopax 2 gal, but, like you guess I'll probably attach a small shovel & axe combo to the rack with clamps that attach to the tubing. Second, I'll install a two-gun fabric case that hangs from the middle roll bar behind the front seat that will only be there during hunting season. I have already installed the factory hard top so I'm not too worried about it getting wet, and it's high enough so it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, I'm very fortunate that my wife could care less how I spend MY money. If she were the type that did, she would have had to update her marriage resume a long time ago. Obviously, that's a two-way street, she's a professional with her own income, and she does as she pleases as well. It helps that we are both financially conservative, and neither one of us allows an outstanding credit card balance to carry over. We don't argue much at all, and we have NEVER had even a lively discussion about money. We have separate bank and even investment accounts. Basically, we run our marriage finances like a business. My first wife was just the opposite, and I learned much from that experience.

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Howdy Spoonbill!
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply....

First, the BCF V2 will obviously carry a spare tire and cooler, with maybe a Rotopax 2 gal, but, like you guess I'll probably attach a small shovel & axe combo to the rack with clamps that attach to the tubing. Second, I'll install a two-gun fabric case that hangs from the middle roll bar behind the front seat that will only be there during hunting season. I have already installed the factory hard top so I'm not too worried about it getting wet, and it's high enough so it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, I'm very fortunate that my wife could care less how I spend MY money. If she were the type that did, she would have had to update her marriage resume a long time ago. Obviously, that's a two-way street, she's a professional with her own income, and she does as she pleases as well. It helps that we are both financially conservative, and neither one of us allows an outstanding credit card balance to carry over. We don't argue much at all, and we have NEVER had even a lively discussion about money. We have separate bank and even investment accounts. Basically, we run our marriage finances like a business. My first wife was just the opposite, and I learned much from that experience.
Can you send me a link to the BCF Rack?? Can't seem to locate it

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you send me a link to the BCF Rack?? Can't seem to locate it
I would also lappreciate a bit of "Best Practice" networking on the electrical aspects... before I overload the Spoonbill.

TitanTom

TitanTom

Forum Rocket Scientist
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2020
NE Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would also lappreciate a bit of "Best Practice" networking on the electrical aspects... before I overload the Spoonbill.

First, here's the link to the rear rack:

As far as electrical 'Best Practices' are concerned, I'm certainly no expert, but here's the scheme I'm following:

1) Make a plan. Use this site to see what others have done, get ideas for what accessories you'd like, and search here on this awesome site to see what others have done with similar goals as you. The best example of this has to be an isolated dual battery system. For me, everything started from this baseline, and there's loads of info here on dual battery options, installations, and most importantly, issues that folks have had that have required troubleshooting and resolution. By making a good 'study' of the info here you will avoid potential problems and save yourself loads of time and aggravation.

My plan is a simple one, using a 'building block' approach. I just completed my dual battery install, using the True dual voltmeter set. Because I had done my homework first, the install was relatively easy, and it worked right out of the gate. I know that it not in it's final configuration, and I'll be re-configuring the wiring scheme as I add the necessary accessories, relay/fuse blocks, winch, switches, a Stinger, and switch panels. I will not start laying out the requirements/final design of these components until I have already installed the greatest portion of my accessories. I will have all of the wiring laid in before I sit down and lay out my relay/fuse/switches/switch panel, and I will leave a bit of growth potential because this whole thing is going to be an evolutionary process and I might decide that really need some new gizmo somewhere down the line. Using this 'building block' scheme allows me to test initial installations (like my dual battery set up) and subsequent ones as they are installed with the confidence that if there is a problem, I won't be needing to troubleshoot an integrated system, only the latest install.

So, make a plan.

2) Put together a basic set of tools and common parts. This is the stuff you'll need for most of your electrical installs, and should include, as a minimum:
Wire strippers
Ring terminal crimpers
A decent multimeter. Don't just buy that little red $5 job from Harbor Freight, spend about $50-$75 bucks on a good basic meter.
Lay in a supply of (at least) some 16 and 12 ga wire. Also, a set of wire terminations, splices, etc. All found on Amazon, and inexpensive.

If you don't have any experience with basic electrical installs, buy a copy of Ugly's Pocket Electrical Reference. Ten bucks, and it's a wealth of info.

3) Take your time. Gather all of the tools and material you think you'll need, so everything is at hand, and you don't waste time searching through your garage for some niggling little thing. Be organized. Immediately prior to starting, take one more look at info here on the site for posts specific to your install, and read through any included instructions so you can anticipate what you will need and avoid that garage search or maybe a run to the hardware store.

4) Test as you go. Make isolation/continuity checks as you complete EACH connection, this will help avoid trouble shooting after you *think* that you're done. Continuity across splices and ring terminations (or any termination) should be less that about 5 milliohms, isolation between disparate circuits should be around 1 megohm. Aren't you glad you bought that nice meter like Ole Tom suggested?

5) Don't suffer in silence. If you have problems, or any questions in general, use the experience on this site. I'm very new here, but I'm already friggen' amazed at the knowledge these pages contain.

Good Luck!

Tom

Reactions: Mudwing
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First, here's the link to the rear rack:

As far as electrical 'Best Practices' are concerned, I'm certainly no expert, but here's the scheme I'm following:

1) Make a plan. Use this site to see what others have done, get ideas for what accessories you'd like, and search here on this awesome site to see what others have done with similar goals as you. The best example of this has to be an isolated dual battery system. For me, everything started from this baseline, and there's loads of info here on dual battery options, installations, and most importantly, issues that folks have had that have required troubleshooting and resolution. By making a good 'study' of the info here you will avoid potential problems and save yourself loads of time and aggravation.

My plan is a simple one, using a 'building block' approach. I just completed my dual battery install, using the True dual voltmeter set. Because I had done my homework first, the install was relatively easy, and it worked right out of the gate. I know that it not in it's final configuration, and I'll be re-configuring the wiring scheme as I add the necessary accessories, relay/fuse blocks, winch, switches, a Stinger, and switch panels. I will not start laying out the requirements/final design of these components until I have already installed the greatest portion of my accessories. I will have all of the wiring laid in before I sit down and lay out my relay/fuse/switches/switch panel, and I will leave a bit of growth potential because this whole thing is going to be an evolutionary process and I might decide that really need some new gizmo somewhere down the line. Using this 'building block' scheme allows me to test initial installations (like my dual battery set up) and subsequent ones as they are installed with the confidence that if there is a problem, I won't be needing to troubleshoot an integrated system, only the latest install.

So, make a plan.

2) Put together a basic set of tools and common parts. This is the stuff you'll need for most of your electrical installs, and should include, as a minimum:
Wire strippers
Ring terminal crimpers
A decent multimeter. Don't just buy that little red $5 job from Harbor Freight, spend about $50-$75 bucks on a good basic meter.
Lay in a supply of (at least) some 16 and 12 ga wire. Also, a set of wire terminations, splices, etc. All found on Amazon, and inexpensive.

If you don't have any experience with basic electrical installs, buy a copy of Ugly's Pocket Electrical Reference. Ten bucks, and it's a wealth of info.

3) Take your time. Gather all of the tools and material you think you'll need, so everything is at hand, and you don't waste time searching through your garage for some niggling little thing. Be organized. Immediately prior to starting, take one more look at info here on the site for posts specific to your install, and read through any included instructions so you can anticipate what you will need and avoid that garage search or maybe a run to the hardware store.

4) Test as you go. Make isolation/continuity checks as you complete EACH connection, this will help avoid trouble shooting after you *think* that you're done. Continuity across splices and ring terminations (or any termination) should be less that about 5 milliohms, isolation between disparate circuits should be around 1 megohm. Aren't you glad you bought that nice meter like Ole Tom suggested?

5) Don't suffer in silence. If you have problems, or any questions in general, use the experience on this site. I'm very new here, but I'm already friggen' amazed at the knowledge these pages contain.

Good Luck!

Tom
Thank you Sir! Ado we have a forum for just Electrical trcial?

TitanTom

TitanTom

Forum Rocket Scientist
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2020
NE Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry about Apple’s abuse during spell check

Not that I've seen. However, there are loads of posts on the site concerning electrical issues, and a dedicated forum is an awesome idea.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!