Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm a lifelong diehard Honda man. I dragraced my CBR900RR for almost 17 years. I've also been wrenching on any bike made in Japan for over 25, so not really a novice here. Got into offloading couple years ago with 07 Foreman 500 which I still own. When I got the utv bug, I knew it had to have wings.
First off I think they are just downright sexy. The rop extending over the bed did take some getting used to lol. The Bighorns are awesome. Been up some really steep rocky trails and they really bite. I've also been through some very nasty, deep mud in turf mode without any problem ( I have a video on YouTube). Engine is truly awesome. Tons of torque along with good high rpm horsepower. Its perfectly happy lugging around at 2K rpms or ripping down the road at 7K. Smooth and quiet. Like a Honda is supposed to be. Seats are very comfortable. I've had 2 back surgeries and have to take a break on my Foreman every half hour. I've been in my Pioneer just under 3 hours at a time with no problems. Power steering is flawless. Steers almost sinfully easy even with front diff locked. Love the turf mode. Open rear diff won't eat up your yard and extends tire life driving on hard surfaces. Suspension is absolutely perfect in my opinion. Soaks up the rough stuff with ease and zero feedback to the steering wheel. Hydraulic assist to raise the bed is handy touch.
Now the things I noticed but didn't necessarily hate. Shifting in at mode is pretty firm but noisy and sometimes clunky. Shifting in manual with paddles is nice touch, but there is a noticeable delay before it actually shifts. If you're taking it to redline, better be squeezing the paddle around 7500 or you'll be banging it off rev limiter. All 4 doors rattled in rough terrain. No biggie, just a simple stopper adjustment. Love the double click feature btw. Speaking of doors, fit at the bottom needs to be a little tighter. Run it hard through fairly deep water and you'll need some dry socks and shoes lol. I also noticed that after I pressure washed it after my first trip to mountains, there was longer than usual pause when changing drive modes (turf to lock 2wd to 4wd to all locked). This may just be from a solenoid getting wet because it got better and better until it finally went away.
All in all I absolutely love it!! Perfectly happy with my purchase even if my wallet isn't lol. Refined manners on the road and hard surfaces, and very capable in the muck. I have yet to actually "need" 4wd and I've been in really deep mud and up wet,muddy and steep hills. Hopefully someone will find this useful.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Read this today at work and didnt respond.
But I agree with a lot. One thing you mentioned was the space under the doors. Its a good 1/2 inch. I am looking for the perfect rubber flap to fit there sometime. Not really a water tight seal but something to keep the splashing out. IDK though. I may need the gap when I get in the deep mud. lol.

About the long pause in diff drive modes. I am cretin this is manual cable operated. Some have adjusted theirs. I dont have enough seat time to have any issues yet.

Glad you like the 1000 in regards to your back. It is a totally different machine compared to a ATV.

Thanks.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
But I agree with a lot. One thing you mentioned was the space under the doors. Its a good 1/2 inch. I am looking for the perfect rubber flap to fit there sometime. Not really a water tight seal but something to keep the splashing out. IDK though. I may need the gap when I get in the deep mud. lol.

About the long pause in diff drive modes. I am cretin this is manual cable operated. Some have adjusted theirs. I dont have enough seat time to have any issues yet.

Glad you like the 1000 in regards to your back. It is a totally different machine compared to a ATV.

Thanks.
I'm still thinking there may be a connection between my pressure washing and the delay. It didn't do it before the washing and it got better the more I swapped modes after washing it. It's only got 7 hours on it so I think it's premature to be adjusting anything. The one kink in my reasoning is you said its cable operated which wouldn't be affected by water. Who knows. It's fine now so no worries. One other thing that again isn't a complaint just an observation, it could really benefit from some kind of hill hold feature. If you're on an incline and release brake, she rolls like crazy. Add that to a somewhat twitchy throttle and crazy bottomend torque, made for a few whiplash moments til I got more used to it lol.

Reactions: duskygrouse
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I felt the jerks too playing in the sand. Like the clutch could not make up its mind. I think the cure is just some more seat time learning how it operates.

As for the cables. Could been hard mud or something. I know you didn't get it all out. I think that is going to be impossible. lol.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500

Is the gap under the door really the issue?
Attached photo is from the last time I went riding with @Hondasxs

IMG 0370

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes. Yes it is.
In that picture you can see the use of the certified measuring stick used to gage the effects relevant to the acceleration pedal. Official results came back incomplete. A second test has yet to be scheduled.

Haha.

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Are you kidding me. I hope that was some sort of scientific test of endurance. Can't imagine anyone putting his $25k rig thru that?
Soooo I just added a pipe to my storage for the gas when I'm deep like that.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you kidding me. I hope that was some sort of scientific test of endurance. Can't imagine anyone putting his $25k rig thru that?
My wife said basically the same thing when I told her I was going to play in the mud lol. I told her that's EXACTLY what I bought it for. I don't own trailer queens lol. I haven't hit anything that deep yet but I will soon as I get a winch.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

$25k? That was a P700. I remember because I pulled him out. Actually, pulled him out several times that day.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
$25k? That was a P700. I remember because I pulled him out. Actually, pulled him out several times that day.
emoji38.png
My mistake. Everyone has different tasks for their toys
sorry, thought it was a respected 1000-5 deluxe dressed up?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Still... A lot of money to go sink in a mud hole... Hu!
I may be a little lighter on my p1k. But don't hold me to it. It can only stay clean for so long.

Reactions: utvmi
franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still... A lot of money to go sink in a mud hole... Hu!
I may be a little lighter on my p1k. But don't hold me to it. It can only stay clean for so long.
I understand, like they say different strokes for different folks. I'm an old fart and probably more conservative? Enjoy it your way.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I understand, like they say different strokes for different folks. I'm an old fart and probably more conservative? Enjoy it your way.
That's what it all boils down to...enjoying it your way. There's a guy down the road from me with a 900XP that uses it solely to check his mail lol.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's what it all boils down to...enjoying it your way. There's a guy down the road from me with a 900XP that uses it solely to check his mail lol.
I bet the neighbors would like to be him on those cold, rainy miserable days. At least he is running it often and getting use out of it. When i'm not using mine on hunting or camping trips, it gets used around house to move trailers in and out of tight parking spots.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015

Thanks.
If you add a rubber strip under the door you might risk trapping any water/mud that does get in.

Reactions: JACKAL
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
I'm a lifelong diehard Honda man. I dragraced my CBR900RR for almost 17 years. I've also been wrenching on any bike made in Japan for over 25, so not really a novice here. Got into offloading couple years ago with 07 Foreman 500 which I still own. When I got the utv bug, I knew it had to have wings.
First off I think they are just downright sexy. The rop extending over the bed did take some getting used to lol. The Bighorns are awesome. Been up some really steep rocky trails and they really bite. I've also been through some very nasty, deep mud in turf mode without any problem ( I have a video on YouTube). Engine is truly awesome. Tons of torque along with good high rpm horsepower. Its perfectly happy lugging around at 2K rpms or ripping down the road at 7K. Smooth and quiet. Like a Honda is supposed to be. Seats are very comfortable. I've had 2 back surgeries and have to take a break on my Foreman every half hour. I've been in my Pioneer just under 3 hours at a time with no problems. Power steering is flawless. Steers almost sinfully easy even with front diff locked. Love the turf mode. Open rear diff won't eat up your yard and extends tire life driving on hard surfaces. Suspension is absolutely perfect in my opinion. Soaks up the rough stuff with ease and zero feedback to the steering wheel. Hydraulic assist to raise the bed is handy touch.
Now the things I noticed but didn't necessarily hate. Shifting in at mode is pretty firm but noisy and sometimes clunky. Shifting in manual with paddles is nice touch, but there is a noticeable delay before it actually shifts. If you're taking it to redline, better be squeezing the paddle around 7500 or you'll be banging it off rev limiter. All 4 doors rattled in rough terrain. No biggie, just a simple stopper adjustment. Love the double click feature btw. Speaking of doors, fit at the bottom needs to be a little tighter. Run it hard through fairly deep water and you'll need some dry socks and shoes lol. I also noticed that after I pressure washed it after my first trip to mountains, there was longer than usual pause when changing drive modes (turf to lock 2wd to 4wd to all locked). This may just be from a solenoid getting wet because it got better and better until it finally went away.
All in all I absolutely love it!! Perfectly happy with my purchase even if my wallet isn't lol. Refined manners on the road and hard surfaces, and very capable in the muck. I have yet to actually "need" 4wd and I've been in really deep mud and up wet,muddy and steep hills. Hopefully someone will find this useful.
I did notice all 4 doors rattled thru rough terrain. What are the simple door stoppers your talking about. Could you post a picture please. Also have you noticed that on the door hinge theirs a metal washer on one side and then a huge gap on the other side. Washer missing?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did notice all 4 doors rattled thru rough terrain. What are the simple door stoppers your talking about. Could you post a picture please. Also have you noticed that on the door hinge theirs a metal washer on one side and then a huge gap on the other side. Washer missing?
IMG 20160114 185609592

This is stopper for the front. It's on the door itself. Turning it counterclockwise will back it out to eliminate rattles. If you back it out too far the door won't latch properly. It's a double click design so keep that in mind.

Reactions: JACKAL and Hondasxs
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 20160114 185559555

This is the rear and is mounted on the body.

Reactions: JACKAL

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!