P1000 My thoughts after a month

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm new to the sxs world even though my atv time goes back to the early 80's starting with a 185S. When I started looking for a sxs I tried to have no preconceived bias and tried to make my decision based on the best info I could find. I wanted something I could use and play with too, also it had to be something my wife could use around the yard. There were three model I was looking at, Kawasaki Teryx, Polaris General and the P1000 3.

The Power and the suspension of the General was a draw but the belt and fit and finish was a turn off. I really liked the Kawasaki but it too had a belt and the smallest engine of the three. The transmission and the drive mode options are what sold me on the Honda.

The Honda's power is good, it's pretty nimble for it's size and has a decent size bed. The shocks could be better but for the way most people use them I think they'll be fine. Better shocks would add to the bottom line and I think Honda chose to keep the cost down and allow the customer to decide if they need better shocks or not.

IMO Honda could've done much better on the seats for not much more $$. The seat needs to be adjustable for those of smaller stature, my wife is on the petite side and has to sit well up on the seat to reach the pedals and shifters. This would make for an uncomfortable day on a long ride.

The clutch I can deal with but my wife's take off are jerky, more seat time will help. Also backing a loade trailer in a tight spot could be a problem.

There have been some issues with water ingestion and I agree the intake wasn't well thought out. I'm working on some shields to cover the holes in the wheel wells and have a couple ideas on keeping the water from getting to the opening where the pre-filter is.

I'm one of those guys that leaves nothing alone and think the P1000 is one of those rigs that guys that like to tinker and build stuff can really make it their own.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the P1000 and the Queen really likes it so that's a big plus. Sure there is room for improvement in some areas, but that's with everything.

Overall I give my P1000 four stars out of five.

gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm new to the sxs world even though my atv time goes back to the early 80's starting with a 185S. When I started looking for a sxs I tried to have no preconceived bias and tried to make my decision based on the best info I could find. I wanted something I could use and play with too, also it had to be something my wife could use around the yard. There were three model I was looking at, Kawasaki Teryx, Polaris General and the P1000 3.

The Power and the suspension of the General was a draw but the belt and fit and finish was a turn off. I really liked the Kawasaki but it too had a belt and the smallest engine of the three. The transmission and the drive mode options are what sold me on the Honda.

The Honda's power is good, it's pretty nimble for it's size and has a decent size bed. The shocks could be better but for the way most people use them I think they'll be fine. Better shocks would add to the bottom line and I think Honda chose to keep the cost down and allow the customer to decide if they need better shocks or not.

IMO Honda could've done much better on the seats for not much more $$. The seat needs to be adjustable for those of smaller stature, my wife is on the petite side and has to sit well up on the seat to reach the pedals and shifters. This would make for an uncomfortable day on a long ride.

The clutch I can deal with but my wife's take off are jerky, more seat time will help. Also backing a loade trailer in a tight spot could be a problem.

There have been some issues with water ingestion and I agree the intake wasn't well thought out. I'm working on some shields to cover the holes in the wheel wells and have a couple ideas on keeping the water from getting to the opening where the pre-filter is.

I'm one of those guys that leaves nothing alone and think the P1000 is one of those rigs that guys that like to tinker and build stuff can really make it their own.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the P1000 and the Queen really likes it so that's a big plus. Sure there is room for improvement in some areas, but that's with everything.

Overall I give my P1000 four stars out of five.
I guess we got ours about the same time as u did. The transmission is what sold me on the Honda . I had a rhino that worked great but like you I never was crazy about the belt. I wouldnt have a polaris , check their forms and you'll be glad you didn't get one,just to many repairs all to often. I also am very pleased with mine and the power is unreal .

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just got mine today.. I upgraded from the 17 p500 and oh my gosh!!! This thing is soooo much more of a beast! I know it's more money.. but it's worth it!
The doggie doors in the back are what sold me. This is a crazy machine, way to fast for it's suspension.

J

JTW

The doggie doors in the back are what sold me. This is a crazy machine, way to fast for it's suspension.
I haven't dogged on it too much yet.. Peddle still hasn't met the floor yet... but we're getting close!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I haven't dogged on it too much yet.. Peddle still hasn't met the floor yet... but we're getting close!
I busted a tire when the leaves started falling and didn't see a big rock, whoops!

Reactions: JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Careful! If you live long enough you'll get old too. LOL
Did you remember the movie ( I found my marbles ) Peter Pan. Great movie. Have a great winter.

Reactions: JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Oh I figure someone will kill me long before then.. and if not.. I'm going out in a blaze of glory!
REALLY' I would hope that you don't have that many diseases or enemies . HA

Reactions: moparornocar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I punched mine on the dirt road and it reminded me of what happened when I did that to my 69 Olds 442. It got so squirrelly I had to let off quick or eat the ditch. This thing has crazy power, and I think it's 0-60 is quicker than many cars. On the straight away on the county chip sealed road I hit 60, and then immediately dropped back to 40. There was just something unnerving about that speed in an open vehicle lacking any of the protections of an automobile. I haven't even gotten the roof and windshield on yet.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
I punched mine on the dirt road and it reminded me of what happened when I did that to my 69 Olds 442. It got so squirrelly I had to let off quick or eat the ditch. This thing has crazy power, and I think it's 0-60 is quicker than many cars. On the straight away on the county chip sealed road I hit 60, and then immediately dropped back to 40. There was just something unnerving about that speed in an open vehicle lacking any of the protections of an automobile. I haven't even gotten the roof and windshield on yet.
Are you bringing the 1000 to Mulberry on the 28th?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wonder if you can get air bags, I know how well they work.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!