My wife wants a KRX(Talon X Suspension info)

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks to the ones that provided recommendations. I love my Talon and do not want to buy anything else which is why I started this thread.

We are going to look at the Weller system recommended by @PaulF and @Fyathyrio and also adjust our tire pressure. I wasn't aware of the Weller Racing folks until now.

@dnjones161 TY for your information as well. I'd much rather fix my Talon that buy a KRX and have to fix its flaws. And yes, it is a win that she is thinking this way.

I would suggest Weller or Shock Therapy. You're going to have to drop a couple grand to get them completely re done and achieve the results you're after. @my99svt had his done somewhere and was happy with the outcome.

The KRX has great suspension geometry. For some reason they have an issue with spring sag. So if you get the KRX you'll drop $300-600 for new springs but it rides incredible.

If you like the machine you have I'd keep it and just have the shock work done.

Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well we received our shocks this week and put them on last night. I went over a curb in my neighborhood and it seemed to take it fine. I guess we won't know until our next ride. I think about 4 weeks away is our next planned ride.

Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well we received our shocks this week and put them on last night. I went over a curb in my neighborhood and it seemed to take it fine. I guess we won't know until our next ride. I think about 4 weeks away is our next planned ride.
This weekend we will get to test our the shocks. We will report back next week. :D

JS45

JS45

Jul 23, 2020
Fla
Ownership

1. Talon R
Pro xp do it! You’ll be happy you did things a cloud with a million horsepower (181 actually)

Reactions: J80 and Smitty335
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Pro xp do it! You’ll be happy you did things a cloud with a million horsepower (181 actually)
Always good to have in the group in case you need to test out the tow rope or have fire starter on a cold day.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'd love to agree with you, but the talon is the most unreliable side by side i've ever owned by days in the shop. And that's saying something.
In fairness, your experience is atypical. A whole lot of us are getting great service from our Talons….👍

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'd love to agree with you, but the talon is the most unreliable side by side i've ever owned by days in the shop. And that's saying something.
I think the overall averages are a bit different. Law of averages. Polaris overall is very poor quality, Honda is much better quality. Would you put you wife in a Polaris car if they made a real one? Would you buy a Polaris generator? Come on let’s be realistic. I personally know a guy with over 25k on the 1000 platform and he runs tracks. Polaris is designed to sell then be replaced, not to be rode constantly for years with minimal maintenance.
On other levels I could possibly give Polaris a nod but NOT dependability. Jap machines are on a different level.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I think the overall averages are a bit different. Law of averages. Polaris overall is very poor quality, Honda is much better quality. Would you put you wife in a Polaris car if they made a real one? Would you buy a Polaris generator? Come on let’s be realistic. I personally know a guy with over 25k on the 1000 platform and he runs tracks. Polaris is designed to sell then be replaced, not to be rode constantly for years with minimal maintenance.
On other levels I could possibly give Polaris a nod but NOT dependability. Jap machines are on a different level.

I've owned basically a few of everything, couple RZR's, couple Mavericks, Wolverines, and a Talon. Talon had something like 15 days in the shop in 600 miles, everything else I kept for 5000+ miles and had maybe 2-3 days in the shop.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've owned basically a few of everything, couple RZR's, couple Mavericks, Wolverines, and a Talon. Talon had something like 15 days in the shop in 600 miles, everything else I kept for 5000+ miles and had maybe 2-3 days in the shop.
5000 on a Honda 1000 is a joke though. Not sure how my threads I’ve seen on how to get a Polaris there. Fine if you replace that crap constantly.
Ya I had a bad Honda Sxs. But had 3 good ones. I do believe there is a certain percentage of anything that could go sideways. But I’ve known a lot of Polaris guys to just not have near that luck. We sure didn’t with our one and only. Can’t say we’re great at maintenance and all our machines get used hard, all our dirt bikes that were Honda never had issues. My Yamaha dealer friend constantly flips Polaris s***, he’s thankful they are around so he has a job. He says even the metals they use aren’t as pure and tolerances are crap so the engines are just throw away.
I could go on and on but I damn well know I wouldn’t buy one and I’d never suggest one unless someone plans on continuously upgrading model years and excellent maintenance or doesn’t ride much. We go up to 30 weekends a year camping with multiple rigs, I couldn’t afford that s***. If I used a machine to ride a few times a year with buddies and didn’t have family that rode it might work out better

Last edited:
Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
We are back from our ride this weekend. My wife and I could tell a difference in the new suspension. The sharpness the old suspension had was reduced some. Obviously it didn't ride like a KRX and I didn't expect it to, but I did expect more than what we got. I wouldn't recommend this as a solution to the rough riding of a Talon, at least not for the money spent. This is not a jab against Weller racing, I believe they did all they could. @Josh97stang may tell you a different story about his.

Josh97stang

Josh97stang

Sep 12, 2020
Sheridan, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
I could tell that our ride was smoother. It did have increased body roll. I am also not sure it was worth the money but it does help to improve the harsh ride.

Reactions: J80 and TripleB
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
We are back from our ride this weekend. My wife and I could tell a difference in the new suspension. The sharpness the old suspension had was reduced some. Obviously it didn't ride like a KRX and I didn't expect it to, but I did expect more than what we got. I wouldn't recommend this as a solution to the rough riding of a Talon, at least not for the money spent. This is not a jab against Weller racing, I believe they did all they could. @Josh97stang may tell you a different story about his.
I could tell that our ride was smoother. It did have increased body roll. I am also not sure it was worth the money but it does help to improve the harsh ride.
Did either of you adjust the preload and/or crossovers? Weller had my preload about right but the crossovers were pretty close to the main springs and they kicked in WAY too early, especially on the rear. This can cause a rough ride on rocky terrain. Here is my formula for the various types of riding I do...

Rock Crawling - #1 clicker, Sway Bar disconnected, crossovers up as far as they go without upper spring coil bind (my starting point).
Trail Riding - #2 clicker, Sway Bar varies by terrain, crossovers up as far as they go without upper spring coil bind.
Dunes - #3 clicker, Sway Bar attached and crossovers cranked down 10 turns from my starting point.

Be aware, I have an R so your tuning will be similar but a little different. You may want to try and experiment a little and see if you can get a better ride. Mine sure improved after figuring it out for my machine and riding style.

R

Ray21

Mar 1, 2021
AK
Ownership

1. Talon R
Adjusting the crossovers makes a big difference. Based on the guidance that CID has shared in the other thread, I adjusted mine and am super happy with the results. I have an R LV and it is nearing plush, to me anyway.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Unless Weller added them, I don't think the X has crossovers - @TerryH ?

Reactions: J80

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!