P1000m5 Need advice on costly situation. Buy a 1000-5 or? Help!

mjs6789

mjs6789

Nov 26, 2018
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
Hey guys, looking for your advice, suggestions, ideas for an expensive situation I have gotten myself into. I’ll try to keep it as short as possible, but you need to know the details in order to give me some advice.

SITUATION

Bought a new 2018 Can-Am Defender Max XT HD10 (their big 6-seater) about 2 months ago. I have a wife and 13 year old daughter who rides with me hence the extra seating. My daughter would prefer to ride in back not squished up front with mom and dad.

Unfortunately, the huge berms on our trails here in Arkansas are too much for the long wheelbase (I’m new to sxs so didn’t know about the berms). So I’m looking to purchase a new 1000-5 LE taking a financial bath on the Defender in the process. So I have to make this decision a good one.

I am 6’5” over 250 lbs so there are not many machines I can fit my legs into. My butt fits just not my legs. The utility machines with bench seats work the best. I don’t fit comfortably in machines with center consoles like Wolverine or Teryx. They “could” work but not ideal.

I’m liking the 1000-5. I fit great and love all the options and the seating works for my daughter too. Is the 1000-5 a great choice? Is it quiet enough? Is it cool enough? Is it worth the money? I have to cough up another $8,000 to make it happen, huge expense at this stage plus have to convince my wife to spend the money too so I am looking for your thoughts or other ideas.

I need a short wheelbase, 2 rows of seats and I have to fit in it. One really nice feature of the 1000-5 is my daughter can ride in back or “comfortably” fit up front with my wife and I. So if it gets too hot back there or too bumpy, etc, she can comfortably ride up front. She has options. I like that…nice wide front bench.

I’d like you to convince me to get the 1000-5 or offer me other suggestions. I need your help guys!

IDEAS

Sell Defender and get another NEW shorter wheelbase machine like the 1000-5
Sell Defender and get another USED shorter wheelbase machine (prefer new as I am not a mechanic)
Keep Defender and install lift kit, bigger tires and SERIOUS rock sliders (Not my first choice)

Any serious suggestions or ideas guys? Can you convince me the 1000-5 is a good choice? So I can convince my wife to spend another $8 grand. I’ve been reading forum posts till my eyes bleed but can’t quite decide what to do. Help!

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sell the defender to a private party and get a new 1000_5. There are plenty of 18 LE that dealers have cut the cost drastically to make room for the 19. It is very dangerous for you to have such a long ride that gets hung up on the trails. It could harm your family. Mention that to your wife and she won't care about the 8k in the name of safety. lol I'm also your size and fit just fine in the 1000-5.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Same^

The pioneer is a great machine. Yea it needs a few tweaks but all machines do. The pioneer will run forever without issues.. I actually just bought my LE down there in russellville. Give those guys a call they were great to work with.

I sent you a pm.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@sharp is right, hes every bit as tall as you and ive never once heard him complain about space even with his P3. Same goes for @Cuoutdoors comments, there valid. Dont worry about the small stuff with mods to make your ride better, all you have to do is ask. Were more thsn willing to help you. I think youll be very happy with your purchase of a P5.

Reactions: sharp
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Im 6'3" [HASHTAG]#230[/HASHTAG]
plenty of room for me. the 1k-5 LE is a sweet machine. the rear seats are not that comfortable on all day rides. But you can easily add some padding it work. The heat is manageable with a bilge fan and some heat shielding.

Reactions: Rambo and sharp
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm 6'2" and one of the big reasons I liked the Honda is because my knees dont hit the dash. Plenty of room.

Reactions: sharp and Landman
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Purchase the 1000-5 LE and gift the larger machine to your daughter. That way you do not take a loss;) Also not being a mechanic you really don’t want a machine which requires a lot of maintenance! I’m 4’ 9 1/2” and I approve this message. PS I have plenty of head room and have added a cushion so that I can see over the dash:cool:

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
all the lift kits you buy make it ride terrible and excessively wear parts except the super expensive long arm kits. and the couple inch ones aren't likely going to change it as much as you need. I really didn't like the can am I had either, a lot more length maintence and cleaning and greaseing for hours. the japaneese ones are way easier and if you are paying means cheaper

mjs6789

mjs6789

Nov 26, 2018
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
sell the defender to a private party and get a new 1000_5. There are plenty of 18 LE that dealers have cut the cost drastically to make room for the 19. It is very dangerous for you to have such a long ride that gets hung up on the trails. It could harm your family. Mention that to your wife and she won't care about the 8k in the name of safety. lol I'm also your size and fit just fine in the 1000-5.
Good advice, thank you.

mjs6789

mjs6789

Nov 26, 2018
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
@sharp is right, hes every bit as tall as you and ive never once heard him complain about space even with his P3. Same goes for @Cuoutdoors comments, there valid. Dont worry about the small stuff with mods to make your ride better, all you have to do is ask. Were more thsn willing to help you. I think youll be very happy with your purchase of a P5.
Yeah, growing up my older brother was the mechanic of the house so never got into it but sure wish I had. Anyway, I have decided to buy the p1 as you guys say. I have someone interested in buying my Defender or if that falls through, the dealer upped the trade in by $2000 so it's gonna happen. Hello Honda!

mjs6789

mjs6789

Nov 26, 2018
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
Thanks everyone for your replies! Boy do I appreciate them. Tipped the scale way over and I'm going to be buying the Honda p1-5 LE. Super excited after reading your comments. I also have a potential buyer from right here on the forum or if that falls through dealer bumped up the trade in value so it's gonna be a deal real soon. Looking forward to the Honda and also to be a regular on this forum. Stoked!

mjs6789

mjs6789

Nov 26, 2018
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
I'm 6'2" and one of the big reasons I liked the Honda is because my knees dont hit the dash. Plenty of room.

Yeah, I have plenty of leg room which will be great!

mjs6789

mjs6789

Nov 26, 2018
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@sharp, I think that sticks on the back. The stuff I used and @joeymt33 used was this. Not the same brand but the exact same stuff. I think it helped but not the end all to end all tho.
70109082 59E3 40AB A0BA 2CC26AB93BBD

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks everyone for your replies! Boy do I appreciate them. Tipped the scale way over and I'm going to be buying the Honda p1-5 LE. Super excited after reading your comments. I also have a potential buyer from right here on the forum or if that falls through dealer bumped up the trade in value so it's gonna be a deal real soon. Looking forward to the Honda and also to be a regular on this forum. Stoked!
Welcome to the LE family!

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, mine from Amazon came with tape. I put it under the front seat up behind the seat back. This blocks the steam from puddles. I then put it under the bed, across the frame from wheel well to wheel well. Then put it on the bottom of the rear floor board. This really helped to cut the heat coming up between the rear seats. I put it on the floor board after reading an incident or 2 about the floor board melting. I have been really pleased. Thinking of redoing it as it has been down 2 years and getting a little thin from the pressure washer.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Have you picked it up?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!