• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Need advice Pioneer purchase?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PAoutdoor, Jun 7, 2018.

1. PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    I am in the market for a Pioneer and need some advice. I mostly trail ride and plow snow occasionally. I unfortunately have a budget, so the new P1000-5 is out of the question. I am currently torn between a new P500 and a slightly used 2016 P1000-3. I like how the P500 is new and it will fit in the back of my pick-up. I also like that it would travel well on my current atv trails on my property. However, I here a lot of good things about the P1000's. I understand they are completely different machines, but any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Remington, 100Acre and Plumber32 like this.
  2. Neohio

Neohio Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Drive em both. Then buy the 1000-3.
    It probably has some upgrades already installed. Things that will cost out of pocket on the 500.

Remington, PAoutdoor and Plumber32 like this.
  3. Plumber32

Plumber32 Here I go again!
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    The 500 will be more handy snow plowing. The 1000 better trail rig. If you don't ride with a big group of people, the 500 might just be the ticket especially if you ride slow. Top speed on the 500 is about 40mph. And suspension is not good stock. The 1000 flys, rides good.

Remington, trigger and PAoutdoor like this.
  4. elkguide

elkguide Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    I love my 2016 P-1000/3 and it plows snow so nice!

HP5NC, Remington and PAoutdoor like this.
  5. JeremieBaker

JeremieBaker Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    If width restriction isn’t an issue for you I would go used 1000 over a new 500 if the cost is similar for sure. If it is a little more for the 1000 and you have the budget for it I’d still go that route again assuming width isn’t formally restricted for you.

Remington, PAoutdoor and 100Acre like this.
  6. Landman

Landman Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    If you choose the 1000, make sure all the updates have been done... clutch, heat, exhaust. Since it’s coming from a dealer, they should have it all done as a selling point, but double check just in case.

GlockMeister, Plumber32 and 100Acre like this.
  7. PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    Thanks for all of the replies. The new 500 in camo is $9400 out the door from the dealer which seems to be the best price around here. The 1000-3 with just under 400 miles is going to be around $11,000 after taxes and registration fees. I have only driven the 700-4. Liked it, but not thrilled with the 3 speed transmission. I also have two kids who sometimes like to tag along and possibly drive soon. Typically one at a time, but this is another plus for the 1000-3. The width is somewhat of an issue as I do not currently have a trailer and like the idea of riding the 500 up on to the truck for my occasional trip to the cabin. The used 1000-3 has the hard roof and windshield which is another bonus. Leaning towards the 1000-3, but kind of like the size of the 500.

Landman likes this.
  8. Neohio

Neohio Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    What kind of truck do you own?
    Do you think the 500 will fit? Or just speculating?

Not having a trailer isnt a big deal. Uhaul will rent you a tandem 6x12 utility trailer for $60ish a day.
    Roof is 400 or so, same with windshield. That is a decnt chunk of cash saved right there.

Hit up facebook marketplace and see what 1000’s are listing for in your area.

PAoutdoor and Plumber32 like this.
  9. PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    Was kind of thinking the same thing about the 500 plowing. A majority of my riding will be around our house (15 acres). I will also use it to plow our driveway which is approx. 300 yards. I have always plowed it with ATV's. I will occasionally take it to the cabin which will be all dirt roads. I doubt I will ride in groups much, sounds fun, but do not have many friends locally that ride. Thanks for your help!

Plumber32 likes this.
  10. jawquin

jawquin Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    700-4, 1000-3

Remington and PAoutdoor like this.
  11. PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    I have a Toyota Tundra and yes I am speculating that it will fit, but it seems like it should. The windshield and roof are two things that I definitely plan to do, so it is a nice savings on the $1000. I also like the idea of having a bed on the back without having to shell out more money for a smaller bed on the 500. The 500 just seems like a good fit for most of my riding, but afraid I may outgrow it and want the 1000 eventually.

12. Mudwing

Mudwing It's mud-thirty somewhere!
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    700-4
    You mentioned the 700-4, it’s a great machine that hauls around me, my wife, my boys and sometimes my dogs! I’m used to the three speed now.

swsebek and PAoutdoor like this.
  13. swsebek

swsebek Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    700-4
    You have two kids
    Where's Mom gonna ride??

Mudwing, PAoutdoor and Hondasxs like this.
  14. Hondasxs

Hondasxs Club Founder
    Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    If you have kids. The 500 is out of the question.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

15. jawquin

jawquin Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    700-4, 1000-3
    PAoutdoor I wouldn't trade my 2014 700-4 with 6 thousand miles even for a brand new 500. I had a 500 and let's just say see post #10

Mudwing, PAoutdoor and Plumber32 like this.
  16. PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    The 1000 is actually from a private party. Will have to research those issues. I heard something about the clutch.

17. Remington

Remington Cocked Locked & Ready To Rock Doc!

Ownership:
    500, 1000-5
    For 11G and it has a roof and a windshield and you still have to buy that stuff for a new 500. You’ll be right up to that or close to that 11G in no time once you buy that stuff and some wheels and tires to get rid of the mini beagles on the 500. You have kids, the P5 is out of the question, 2 people only and your right, you’ll out grow it and want a 1000, especially for the kids. You can find a trailer newbie used all day at reasonable prices. I’d say you talked yourself into the P1K3;)

swsebek likes this.
  18. PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    Good to know!

19. JeremieBaker

JeremieBaker Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    I’m a 500 owner. It is a jarring ride at 10 mph in stock form on trails I’d blast my stock 400EX down in 3rd or 4th gear without thinking twice. Had this been my ride and not my wife’s I would have gone a different route. I don’t regret the purchase as the goal was to get my wife included in my off road hobby which it has done. I’m not a must have the biggest baddest fastest machine type of guy either. The 500 is a nice value machine. It will go anywhere you want to point it. It just isn’t going to get you there quickly. If you pick up the pace it is going to beat your body up (in stock form) for that choice.

I’d highly recommend you find a way to at least ride in (preferably drive) both. If you think you might outgrow the 500 then I’d bet the 1000 will be the one you end up picking.

The good news is they are both Honda and twenty years from now as long as it has fresh gas and charged battery it will still take you out for fun and get you back.

PAoutdoor and Remington like this.
  20. PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    Convincing. The guy selling the 1000 can't show it until after I leave for vacation. He is considering allowing me to throw down a couple bucks to hold it for me. If he agrees, I think I will put down something to at least get a look at it. Doubt I will regret the 1000.

Landman and Remington like this.