Need advice Pioneer purchase?

PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor

Jun 7, 2018
Cogan Station
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am in the market for a Pioneer and need some advice. I mostly trail ride and plow snow occasionally. I unfortunately have a budget, so the new P1000-5 is out of the question. I am currently torn between a new P500 and a slightly used 2016 P1000-3. I like how the P500 is new and it will fit in the back of my pick-up. I also like that it would travel well on my current atv trails on my property. However, I here a lot of good things about the P1000's. I understand they are completely different machines, but any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am in the market for a Pioneer and need some advice. I mostly trail ride and plow snow occasionally. I unfortunately have a budget, so the new P1000-5 is out of the question. I am currently torn between a new P500 and a slightly used 2016 P1000-3. I like how the P500 is new and it will fit in the back of my pick-up. I also like that it would travel well on my current atv trails on my property. However, I here a lot of good things about the P1000's. I understand they are completely different machines, but any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
The 500 will be more handy snow plowing. The 1000 better trail rig. If you don't ride with a big group of people, the 500 might just be the ticket especially if you ride slow. Top speed on the 500 is about 40mph. And suspension is not good stock. The 1000 flys, rides good.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If width restriction isn’t an issue for you I would go used 1000 over a new 500 if the cost is similar for sure. If it is a little more for the 1000 and you have the budget for it I’d still go that route again assuming width isn’t formally restricted for you.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you choose the 1000, make sure all the updates have been done... clutch, heat, exhaust. Since it’s coming from a dealer, they should have it all done as a selling point, but double check just in case.

PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor

Jun 7, 2018
Cogan Station
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for all of the replies. The new 500 in camo is $9400 out the door from the dealer which seems to be the best price around here. The 1000-3 with just under 400 miles is going to be around $11,000 after taxes and registration fees. I have only driven the 700-4. Liked it, but not thrilled with the 3 speed transmission. I also have two kids who sometimes like to tag along and possibly drive soon. Typically one at a time, but this is another plus for the 1000-3. The width is somewhat of an issue as I do not currently have a trailer and like the idea of riding the 500 up on to the truck for my occasional trip to the cabin. The used 1000-3 has the hard roof and windshield which is another bonus. Leaning towards the 1000-3, but kind of like the size of the 500.

Reactions: Landman
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What kind of truck do you own?
Do you think the 500 will fit? Or just speculating?

Not having a trailer isnt a big deal. Uhaul will rent you a tandem 6x12 utility trailer for $60ish a day.
Roof is 400 or so, same with windshield. That is a decnt chunk of cash saved right there.

Hit up facebook marketplace and see what 1000’s are listing for in your area.

PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor

Jun 7, 2018
Cogan Station
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Was kind of thinking the same thing about the 500 plowing. A majority of my riding will be around our house (15 acres). I will also use it to plow our driveway which is approx. 300 yards. I have always plowed it with ATV's. I will occasionally take it to the cabin which will be all dirt roads. I doubt I will ride in groups much, sounds fun, but do not have many friends locally that ride. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Plumber32
PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor

Jun 7, 2018
Cogan Station
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What kind of truck do you own?
Do you think the 500 will fit? Or just speculating?

Not having a trailer isnt a big deal. Uhaul will rent you a tandem 6x12 utility trailer for $60ish a day.
Roof is 400 or so, same with windshield. That is a decnt chunk of cash saved right there.

Hit up facebook marketplace and see what 1000’s are listing for in your area.

I have a Toyota Tundra and yes I am speculating that it will fit, but it seems like it should. The windshield and roof are two things that I definitely plan to do, so it is a nice savings on the $1000. I also like the idea of having a bed on the back without having to shell out more money for a smaller bed on the 500. The 500 just seems like a good fit for most of my riding, but afraid I may outgrow it and want the 1000 eventually.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
You mentioned the 700-4, it’s a great machine that hauls around me, my wife, my boys and sometimes my dogs! I’m used to the three speed now.

PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor

Jun 7, 2018
Cogan Station
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you choose the 1000, make sure all the updates have been done... clutch, heat, exhaust. Since it’s coming from a dealer, they should have it all done as a selling point, but double check just in case.

The 1000 is actually from a private party. Will have to research those issues. I heard something about the clutch.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
For 11G and it has a roof and a windshield and you still have to buy that stuff for a new 500. You’ll be right up to that or close to that 11G in no time once you buy that stuff and some wheels and tires to get rid of the mini beagles on the 500. You have kids, the P5 is out of the question, 2 people only and your right, you’ll out grow it and want a 1000, especially for the kids. You can find a trailer newbie used all day at reasonable prices. I’d say you talked yourself into the P1K3;)

Reactions: swsebek
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m a 500 owner. It is a jarring ride at 10 mph in stock form on trails I’d blast my stock 400EX down in 3rd or 4th gear without thinking twice. Had this been my ride and not my wife’s I would have gone a different route. I don’t regret the purchase as the goal was to get my wife included in my off road hobby which it has done. I’m not a must have the biggest baddest fastest machine type of guy either. The 500 is a nice value machine. It will go anywhere you want to point it. It just isn’t going to get you there quickly. If you pick up the pace it is going to beat your body up (in stock form) for that choice.

I’d highly recommend you find a way to at least ride in (preferably drive) both. If you think you might outgrow the 500 then I’d bet the 1000 will be the one you end up picking.

The good news is they are both Honda and twenty years from now as long as it has fresh gas and charged battery it will still take you out for fun and get you back.

PAoutdoor

PAoutdoor

Jun 7, 2018
Cogan Station
Ownership

1. 1000-3
For 11G and it has a roof and a windshield and you still have to buy that stuff for a new 500. You’ll be right up to that or close to that 11G in no time once you buy that stuff and some wheels and tires to get rid of the mini beagles on the 500. You have kids, the P5 is out of the question, 2 people only and your right, you’ll out grow it and want a 1000, especially for the kids. You can find a trailer newbie used all day at reasonable prices. I’d say you talked yourself into the P1K3;)

Convincing. The guy selling the 1000 can't show it until after I leave for vacation. He is considering allowing me to throw down a couple bucks to hold it for me. If he agrees, I think I will put down something to at least get a look at it. Doubt I will regret the 1000.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!