BOX1

Need help getting the right tire/wheel set-up on my Talon R

ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
My goal is to end up with the same size tires all the way around. Also, my machine is currently 68" wide and my trailer is 72", so getting much wider than I am now isn't something I really want to do. The closer to 68" I can stay, the better off I am.

Here in NW Arkansas, we ride a lot of dirt trails and dirt roads with the occasional section of pavement to get from trail A to trail B. I'm thinking a dot tire like the Terrabites (or another brand) would be a good fit for that type of riding. (if I'm wrong here, let me know)

Taller is okay, but like I said earlier, I really don't want to get a lot wider. Ride comfort is a big consideration since my non-live valve Talon R rides like a log truck. I'd also like to avoid as many flats as possible. (who wouldn't?)

I've read through as many threads about offsets and spacers as I can, but I still don't think I understand as much as I should. I'd like to end up with the machine being close to the same width front and back because looks do matter to me,

So, given those parameters, what does everyone recommend? I'd like to hear brand name recommendations, offsets, sources etc. Let's stay close to 68". TIA

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Wheels are easy, they are simple math.
  1. The narrowest option is to use 4 front stock rims and 1.5" spacers in the rear. With 9.5" wide tires you will be about 69" wide and with 10" wide tires you will be about 70" wide.
  2. Next widest option is STI HD 9 6+1 (+50mm offset) all the way around and 1.5" spacers in the rear . You will be about 70" with 9.5" tires and 71" with 10" tires.
  3. STI HD9 6+1 up front and 4+3 (0mm offset) in the rear. This combo will be the same as #2 above but net you about .5" wider in the rear.
  4. System 3 SB4 5.5+1.5 (+45mm offset) all the way around and 1.5" spacers in the rear. This combo will be the same as #2 above but net you about .5" front and rear.
  5. System 3 SB4 5.5+1.5 up front and 4+3 (+10mm offset) in the rear and be the same as #4 but the rear will be about 1" narrower than the front.
All other rims that I know of have less offset (+38mm or less) and will just make you wider. 14" may provide a little better ride than 15" because the tires have more sidewall for flexing but beware that they can rub on the upper control arm on the R (but there is a simple solution if you decide on 14").

Tires are user preference, you are going to get answers all over the board on that question. It is a classic Ford vs Ram vs Chevy type question.

Only thing I can tell you is Terrabites are VERY difficult to get a good bead seal on beadlock wheels. They tend to leak a few PSI per week so only choose those if you are OK with that.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just throwing this out there for consideration, if you don't need a bead lock wheel you could buy 2 stock front wheels and run them on the back with 1.5" spacers. The benefit to this would be easy tire rotation for even wear and nearly stock width even with a 10" wide tire.

Slow-Poke

Slow-Poke

Nov 9, 2020
Nor Cal
Ownership

1. Talon R
I ran front wheels on the back with spacers in the back like have been suggested. It works great. Now, If I can find one more front rim for a spare I'll be all set. They are not easy to come by without paying a fortune.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
You have gotten some good advice above. I have the STI HD 9 6+1 (+50mm offset) all the way around and 1.5" spacers in the rear- PaulF's option #2. I also have BFG K02 30 x 9.50-15 tires. I just measured again, and I am about 71.25" front and rear. My ride height is still a bit low. I think at proper ride height it would be narrower. I think 4 stock front wheels is your best bet. That is what I was going to do, until the idea of beadlocks got planted in my head! The extra couple of inches of width is not an issue for me.

• Haha
Reactions: Montecresto and CID
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I ran front wheels on the back with spacers in the back like have been suggested. It works great. Now, If I can find one more front rim for a spare I'll be all set. They are not easy to come by without paying a fortune.

It's often overlooked that a brand new OEM wheel from Honda can be had for what I think is a reasonable price. $152.82 shipped free!

Reactions: CID
ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks to everyone for the great ideas. I really need all the help i can get.

I like the 4 front wheels idea. If I understand correctly, that and a couple of 1.5" spacers for the rear keeps me the same width front and back.

Now, to find the right tire. Do sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer? Recommendations? Strengths vs weaknesses of different brands? What size tire puts me at what width? If I get a 10" tire with stock rims am I still at 70" or less?

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks to everyone for the great ideas. I really need all the help i can get.

I like the 4 front wheels idea. If I understand correctly, that and a couple of 1.5" spacers for the rear keeps me the same width front and back.

Now, to find the right tire. Do sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer? Recommendations? Strengths vs weaknesses of different brands? What size tire puts me at what width? If I get a 10" tire with stock rims am I still at 70" or less?

Reactions: ArkansasTalon
ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I used the above link and the front rims are coming. I also decided to go with the Tusk Terrabites from Rocky Mountain ATV, but they don't sell the spacers for the rear. Anybody got a good source for two 1.5" spacers?

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Question: Since those folks don't seem to have a phone number, can you confirm that the link provided is the correct one for 2 Honda Talon front rims? And, can I assume that they're black and will match the other 2?

I decided to go with the Tusk Terrabites from Rocky Mountain ATV, but they don't sell spacers. Anyone got a good source for 2 1.5" spacers?
Your question is a little confusing. That listing is for 1 wheel so you will need to order 2 (or 3 if you want one for a spare).

Talon R takes this wheel (all black)...

Talon X takes this wheel (machined face)...

GOOD wheel spacers can be found here (stay away from eBay/Amazon, some of them are questionable)...

@RB3offroad is a supporting vendor here. You may try and hit him up for a discount code.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I second what PaulF said. I have the RB3offroad spacers. They are a very high quality product. This is not the place to go cheap, IMHO.

Reactions: CID
ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
PaulF, Sorry for the confusion. I ended up finding a phone number and giving them a call. They were very nice.

I'll check RB3offroad out. Thanks to everyone for all the help. It'll be a little while, but I hope to be able to post some before and after pics soon.

ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Before and after pics. I went from 68" wide to 69.25" and 12" ground clearance to 14". It still fits comfortably on my trailer and it looks good.

My final set up was 4 front wheels with the 1.5" RB3 spacers on the rear. I'm running Tusk Terrabite 30x10x15's all the way around. So far, so good. Once I get a chance to get it out on a trail I'll post an update.
20210718 172829
20210718 172928
20210719 141024
20210719 140952

ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just got back from a quick trip that was a mix of pavement, dirt road, and off road. I'm very pleased so far. It rides and handles at least as good as it did before and there were no issues with the new tires slinging water around the Rokblokz mud flaps.

Right now, I'm running 14 psi in the tires and I'm curious as to just how much lower I can safely go?

Thanks to everybody for all the help.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Right now, I'm running 14 psi in the tires and I'm curious as to just how much lower I can safely go?

Thanks to everybody for all the help.

I used to run 10psi all around in my Terrabites but now I run 13-14. At 10psi I got multiple flats in my rocky desert environment but I tend to ride on the aggressive/fast side. Between added accessories and whatever I'm hauling my Talon is, at a minimum, a few hundred pounds heavier than stock. I've run as low as 8psi without a problem on very slow, rocky technical trail, and at 8psi the Terrabites start to show sidewall deflection going over obstacles. For how and where I ride, I'm not comfortable going less than that in that type of environment.

ArkansasTalon

ArkansasTalon

Oct 11, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon R
We went for the first real trail ride today with the new tires and they did great!

I thought the forum might like to see a little of what northwest Arkansas looks like. These were taken at the Mill Creek ohv trail near Combs.

20210802 1430312
20210802 1236102
20210802 1307362

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Wow, so it's basically a beautiful, massive pile of rocks.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!