P1000 need little axle help, front CV outer Boot replacement

B

bucktaker

Aug 3, 2017
sw ohio/ETN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am replacing the passenger front outer cv boot.
Hub and all removed. Attempted to pull axle out by tapping on the outer CV. The outer cv came off the axle. Replaced the boot and trying to reinstall the outer CV.

There is a snap ring on the axle shaft in the outer groove. I cleaned and regreased the outer cv with new grease.
Do I just align the splines and hammer/mallet the outer cv back on ?
does not seem right to me.
CV did not come apart, all balls and cage in good shape.
Not sure about the outer snap ring on the axle shaft

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am replacing the passenger front outer cv boot.
Hub and all removed. Attempted to pull axle out by tapping on the outer CV. The outer cv came off the axle. Replaced the boot and trying to reinstall the outer CV.

There is a snap ring on the axle shaft in the outer groove. I cleaned and regreased the outer cv with new grease.
Do I just align the splines and hammer/mallet the outer cv back on ?
does not seem right to me.
CV did not come apart, all balls and cage in good shape.
Not sure about the outer snap ring on the axle shaft
See if that tells u what u need to know.

B

bucktaker

Aug 3, 2017
sw ohio/ETN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
lol I watched that one before i started it kind of skips over the ring i am concerned about at the 10:xx mark he just whacks it back on
I am not sure how with that ring on the end of the shaft in that groove

Reactions: Lady01
D

donia

Sep 25, 2020
Miss’ippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is a circlip...c-clip. Compression fit. There’s a tiny gap before it meets itself that lets it compress with a good force applied to it. Sometimes you have to hold your mouth just right and if that doesn’t work, cuss it good and get a BFH!!

B

bucktaker

Aug 3, 2017
sw ohio/ETN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
that could be my issue my gap is large on the clip . I can try to make it smaller with a vise squeeze

D

donia

Sep 25, 2020
Miss’ippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Something I did (the many, many times I changed boots on my old Rhino) was to take a small zip tie to compress the c-clip. It makes it slide in easily and it pushes the zip tie off when sliding in. Just use snips to cut it off of the axle.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Something I did (the many, many times I changed boots on my old Rhino) was to take a small zip tie to compress the c-clip. It makes it slide in easily and it pushes the zip tie off when sliding in. Just use snips to cut it off of the axle.
Good tip!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It is a circlip...c-clip. Compression fit. There’s a tiny gap before it meets itself that lets it compress with a good force applied to it. Sometimes you have to hold your mouth just right and if that doesn’t work, cuss it good and get a BFH!!
I sheared a clip in two. Had another fly off in the darkness when I was trying 2 squeeze in down to size. 3rd time was a charm. I guess I was holding my mouth right. Lol. I bought extra now.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Replaced the clip and drove it in. Now on to the clamps. Thanks
This is the tool I like https://www.grainger.com/product/54...ucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231

B

bucktaker

Aug 3, 2017
sw ohio/ETN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ordered the tool from Amazon that’s in the video. Ended up messing up the clamp. Went to autozone and got a universal cv boot clamp got it all back together. Next time I will just order a replacement axle.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ordered the tool from Amazon that’s in the video. Ended up messing up the clamp. Went to autozone and got a universal cv boot clamp got it all back together. Next time I will just order a replacement axle.

New axles from Honda come as an outer CV with and shaft and an inner CV. You still have to install the clamps yourself

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!