Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Guys, looking at getting a new GPS. I have a Garmin Montana that does everything I need it to do, has VV Mapping with like 13 states loaded into it but it's just too small. I can still read it but have to stop to really get a good look at it and would rather have something bigger that I can just glance at. I'm thinking a 7" would be perfect, any bigger would be too much in a P5. Spoke to Jeremy at VV Mapping and asked if his software could be loaded onto a tablet and he said not yet they're working on that. He said they do have maps for the Lowrance but I've read mixed reviews. Looked at the Megellan, reviews say it's a POS. Good ones for off road purpose are north of $1k. Kind of skeptical on using a tablet, is it at all waterproof, can it handle the shock? Remember a thread last year where a vendor had tablets preloaded with maps but were those only the southern states? Can it be hardwired in? Looking to use my RAM mount that's already installed on the dash.
Just looking for some direction with what others are using. Don't mind spending some coin if it's worth it. I can research and read reviews forever but figured I'd ask guys that are using these like I would in real world conditions. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Reactions: sharp and Vondy
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I use a Samsung tablet 9". I found mounting to the roof of the P500 to be way better on the dash. Got too dusty and sun made it hard to view at times on the dash, no issues since moving. By using some various mapping apps, I have been able to get maps of the places we went last year. Should I run into and issue getting maps, I will probably subscribe to lifetime.

I think it might be a better deal if you got tablet and lifetime maps at same time from lifetime. I already had the tablet though.

Reactions: sharp and trigger
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Lifetime seems good if you ride multiple trail systems that they cover. Id consider them if I could ride more than just WV. I wouldnt have any concern running a tablet, been doing it for years with no issues.

Reactions: sharp and trigger
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I bought a lifetime trails 8 inch tablet last year. Best investment I've made. Rode more last summer than I have in the previous 5 summers combined. Due to not having to depend on someone else to show me new trails.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
So do these bigger screens give you a bigger picture of the trail or just a bigger area around you? I know they have zoom capabilities, what I'm looking to do is use one without cheaters? I know, it's a getting f***** old problem. :rolleyes:

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Went with the Magellan trx7. Works really well, they say 160000 actual trails preloaded and I believe it, I was surprised at how many trails of this area were actually on it because everything we tried before didn’t show s***.
It was always spot on and never lost us ever even in dense trees, accuracy was just feet. It’s fully designed for off road. It’ll even say what type terrain, difficulty level, and conditions as of last person input. Very happy

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lifetime trailmaps here also. 8in samsung. You can buy them from him loaded or if you have your own he will send you a email with the maps to download. You dont need cell service. Its recommended that its a samsung because the gps chip is stronger. Waterproof case is also a good investment. You can stream music to your rig or you can use the tablet sitting on the couch like i am playing on the forum. Lol

J

JTW

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
@trigger the 8” tablet with a good waterproof case is the way to go! I think the app is $250 or so...

Tablet linked is the route I and many others have gone.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Wifi-Tablet-Black/dp/B075VSG1TQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=samsung+tab+a&qid=1551485434&refinements=p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I think the days of dedicated GPS units are on their way out. You get a lot for the money with this setup!

How does it work, I DL the app and then I can DL whatever maps I want? Who is the map provider, Lifetime Trail?

Reactions: JTW
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How does it work, I DL the app and then I can DL whatever maps I want? Who is the map provider, Lifetime Trail?
When you download the app it comes with several maps and throughout the year new mapps will be created that will be sent to your tablet free once a year. Lifetime provides the service. You can also create your own maps in your area to save on the on the tablet. Its kind of like crowd sourcing trails. Everyone records trails, saves it and sends it to lifetime. Then they will take everyones tracks and clean them up and send them back. Thats the gist of what they do.

Reactions: trigger
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So why not just buy a tablet all set up from them already? Costs more?
Thats fine too. The price will be about the same. I got mine before he could send the app through email. I bought the tablet from best buy and mailed it to him, he downloaded the mapps and sent it back.

Reactions: trigger
J

JTW

Thanks Sharp! Anyone have a pic of this setup? 8" tablet in a case and mounted?
D05C34E4 B373 4DC2 A865 6E21581F9831
2BBE45BD 0AA1 4273 A28A D5E15A88A910
239FF697 5319 409A AB5F 8FA1B822C4DB

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Go to LT's website and make sure you get one of the tablets he suggest . He has test with certain models for best operation.

Reactions: trigger and sharp
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!