P1000 Need suggestions for an antenna, antenna mount, coaxial cable, and where to mount it on my pioneer 1000-5

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@elkaholic can probably help you with this

@DrMike it may help to clarify where/how you ride cause that will likely change the recommendations
Are you out in open fields all the time or are you riding trails with a lot of limbs overhanging?
Are you trying to maximize the range and talk for long distances or just talking to other SXS's that are relatively close to you?

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My antenna is magnetic so I mounted a steel disc with epoxy to my light bar. I ride grown in trails so it gets knocked off sometimes without breaking. Seems to work well. Zoom in on the pic to see.

IMG 4927

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
D

Dasmoeturhead

This is what I did.
Well for some reason I can't uoad a picture today

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Need suggestions for a CB antenna, antenna mount, coaxial cable, and where to mount it on my pioneer 1000-5 frame, I bought a Uniden pro 510. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Depending on the antana your using, @RB3offroad has a whip mount that would work great for an antenna.

Got any pics if the machine in question? We havent seen it yet from you.
#POIDH

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The antenna in the first pic works the best for me. Same mount used on both though. It bent a little in the timber but no big deal. Some guys mount them sideways or upside down, but be aware of radio(frequency)waves around your heads.. contact Sam @elkaholic
20210404 162639
20201205 101945

Last edited:
Sted1201

Sted1201

Jan 4, 2021
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First thing to consider all antennas should be above the metal on your vehicle. I mounted the antennas on the back roll bar with a vertical mount and positioned it so it was protected behind the bar as high as I could go.. If you side mount, it’s more likely to get knocked off. MAKE SURE ALL ANTENNAS ARE ON A SPRING MOUNT OR YOULL BREAK THEM OFF ON BRANCHES. I ran the wires on top of the roll bars to the front with zip ties hiding the wires between bar and top. The wire enters the front at the roll bar and fished it easily to the electronics area under hood. I have two antennas (cb and am/fm) On a 1000-5. If running am/fm, you’ll need a 12’ antenna wire extension If radio is in dash, or 8’ extension if radio is mounted on roll bars. I’m also a professional in low voltage so running wires are second nature to me. Hope this helps

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CB is going to be a compromise simply due to it's relatively low frequency, 27 MHz, that requires longer antennas for efficiency. 27 MHz CB has a 1/4 wave length of 102" while GMRS, at 462 MHz, has a quarter wave length of only 6", so you can get pretty good performance from much shorter antennas. When using shorter CB antennas, they will most often be base or center loaded (inductor coils) so performance will always be compromised. This is not to say they won't work, loaded or sub-optimally installed antennas mean you just won't "get out" nearly as well, if at all, compared to a well thought out and installed antenna.

To the guys getting "creative", mounting antennas upside down, they can't know much about antenna design and installation, as everything conductive (including you) around the antenna will absorb RF energy or reflect it, making nulls in reception and transmission patterns. Sideways antenna? Now you are changing the signal's polarization from vertical to horizontal, which is very inefficient. Note, you will often see horizontally polarized yagi antennas, used for high frequency, mostly line of sight communications, where both send and receive antennas are pointed at each other- no problem, but not for CB!

Disclaimer: Not a ham or CB'er. USN ET1, 8 years back in the 60's

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01
G

grizzly660fan

Jul 17, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another recommendation for @elkaholic who provided me with fantastic service before and after the sale.

I put a 2 meter radio in my Pioneer (yes I have the proper license) and am very happy with how it turned out. I have the Honda version of the plastic roof on my Pioneer and have the TYT-8600 radio that I used the radio bracket that comes with the radio screwed into the plastic roof over my head towards the center for easy reach and access. I then ran the antenna I obtained from @elkaholic mounted high on the driver side rear cage so the antenna rises above the plane of the roof.

The antenna does have the spring built into it to flex as I hit trees and it works very well.

I choose the TYT-8600 because there is a version that is ip67 dust and waterproof rated and because I can program the frequencies that most of the people I ride with will be using.

I also have all the repeaters programmed in around my state (Utah) so I have easy access if I need to reach further than a couple of miles and I also programmed each county Search & Rescue frequencies. We often encounter people broken down, out of fuel, hurt in some way, etc so we provide immediate assistance and then can call on S&R if needed. One case was some hikers unprepared for the desert heat that had gone more than 24 hours without water when we encountered them. We refreshed them and gave them a ride to their vehicle and supplies.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haven't rescued anyone with my P1K yet, but did rescue this guy I found in Nevada's Black Rock Desert. Wife and I were flying home from Oregon, about 200 feet over the desert floor. If we'd have been 1/2 a degree off track we would never have seen him. We contacted an airliner overhead on emergency freq. who relayed our Mayday to Reno Approach to dispatch a helicopter. Took them an hour to get there as we were about 100 miles north of Reno. He would not have lasted more than a few more hours . . .

BlackRockbody

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!