Talon Nerf bars or skids with built in sliders

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'd like to do both, I'm planning on making own uhmw belly skid using the stock skid as a template. I do really like the trail armor side skids and will either buy them or make my own also.

Then I plan to add a tube to the side as high up as I can and still open the door, full length. More rock slider style like you'd see on a 4runner or something. I just want it to stick out a little bit, to keep rocks off the doors.

As far as trailing arm/a arm guards. I'm not worried about scraping them, but I do like the ones that also protect the boot. The issue is that I'm more worried about sticks getting the boots in the snow, and I'm not sure the track mounts will jive with either of them.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
My Trail Armor 1/2” full skid with side guards will be delivered tomorrow. I decided to go with Trail Armor because a buddy of mine runs this setup on his RZR and it’s impressive in its build quality durability and looks. Before I bought the Talon I had a RZR with SSS 3/8” skid and painted steel Polaris rock sliders, but the steel sliders show scars from rocks etc and the heavy UHMW skid material doesn’t show scratches and won’t dent! Cost for steel rock sliders is about the same as adding the UHMW side protection to the Trail Armor skid.

I have the Trail Armor full skids and side guards on my 1000R and the only regret I have is not buying them sooner. It offers great protection and you're right that it wont show dents, but the brackets the side guards mount to can bend. Not a complaint, just an observation. Glad I had them installed when I decided to follow my buddies on their 2 stroke bikes through a "trail" called Highway to Hell!

IMG_20200127_202620-L.jpg

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200127204100708-XL.jpg

IMG_20200127_202625-L.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Look at Jasond build. He has AED Off Road side bars. I have ordered a set and I should have them this week. I put a SATV 1/2 UHMW skid plate on mine. The side bars from AED are designed to keep you pushed away from obstructions as you go forward. They "tail out" instead of wrap around like other side bars. Any side bar you add you will have to remove the lower rocker panel and cut out the access spot for the mount in the front. Honda has put a "line" on the inside where you need to cut. Honda has done some nice things to make adding accessories easier.

Reactions: Hometeam
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Look at Jasond build. He has AED Off Road side bars. I have ordered a set and I should have them this week. I put a SATV 1/2 UHMW skid plate on mine. The side bars from AED are designed to keep you pushed away from obstructions as you go forward. They "tail out" instead of wrap around like other side bars. Any side bar you add you will have to remove the lower rocker panel and cut out the access spot for the mount in the front. Honda has put a "line" on the inside where you need to cut. Honda has done some nice things to make adding accessories easier.

I have been debating this same setup you are going with. When you get it all installed I would be really interested to see how you feel the coverage and tree protection is with that setup. I came from Tennessee recently with a lot of tree damage to my Talon....it is what it is but would love to help it if I can!

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trail Armour for my X4. No rules saying you have to buy the same brand trailing arm guards. I'm not worried about trailing arm damage. They'll get scratched and look bad. About the same as looking bad because they have gaurds attached. I love the built in rock sliders. I'm real big on rock crawling. Dont want tubes hanging up on stuff. I dont feel the need for tree kickers, even with larger offset wheels. I might need to pay more attention in tight spots, but that's okay.
Agreed on not having to be all the same brand....
I went with Factory UTV's whole package because you get a pretty big discount buying it all together. As far as looks of the trailing arm guards I agree, don't care about the looks, I was more concerned with how the Trail Armour guards mounted with the self tapping bolts.
Just my thoughts......

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have been debating this same setup you are going with. When you get it all installed I would be really interested to see how you feel the coverage and tree protection is with that setup. I came from Tennessee recently with a lot of tree damage to my Talon....it is what it is but would love to help it if I can!
Look under "Accessories and Modifications" on this forum, and you will see a post that says "Nerf Bars, Rock Sliders" There Jasond has pictures of the AED's on his. He rides a lot in TN at Brimstone. I have ridden Brimstone, and TWRA areas a lot as well.

Reactions: Hometeam
strubby

strubby

Jan 9, 2020
Central FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I'm slacking on a proper skid, but do have the AED nerf bars for reference. They trimmed mine down 3.5" for clearance with the 35's. No additional charge. They double as a step bar for the wife.

20200921 220432

Reactions: Udaman and Isaiah
volkspower

volkspower

Feb 28, 2017
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X
I have tree kickers and Factory UTV 1/2" plate. I like having the kickers because (places where I ride) it keeps me from hanging the rear tire on trees.
I ordered AED Offroad Fab kickers like below:

Treekickers

Reactions: strubby

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!