BOX1

Talon Nerfbars, Rock slider, etc - what's the best?

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Pretty much getting the Talon all setup and now am looking for rock sliders/nerf bars. What all have you found that you like and what is the best bang for the buck?

Noticed SuperATV's, Hondas and a few others but looking for other ideas. Hard to spend $400 bucks on such simple bars but.....

H

HondaTech

Having only seen the Honda sliders in person, I'd assume everyone else is utilizing the same mounting position.

They also seem to be one of the few manufacturers who have more than just a single hoop and a lower bar. The Honda ones have a few cross braces underneath between the inner and outer bar.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went with the super atv nerf bars. They will act like sliders as well as keep the rocks off the sides

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The Honda ones appear pretty nice - The bad thing is Honda sure is proud of them!

H

HondaTech

The Honda ones appear pretty nice - The bad thing is Honda sure is proud of them!

Yeah, for that price I wish they would've atleats painted them to match the suspension.

But then the part number confusion and stocking situation would've been alot worse.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not sure which is best, I decided to go with the Trail Armor full skids and integrated side skids along with their trailing arm guards. I can tell you get whatever protection you choose as soon as possible, the stock stuff is worthless for real protection. I only thing I'd do different is install the protection before my Talon ever hit the trail, lots of rocks where I ride.

IMG 20200105 113325 XL

Reactions: TripleB and TerryH
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah, for that price I wish they would've atleats painted them to match the suspension.

But then the part number confusion and stocking situation would've been alot worse.
Those poor wheels!

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went with AED off road. I liked the fact they used .120 min wall tube, and the side bars angle out in the rear to move you off of a possible tree, rock or dirt rut.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
THANKS everyone! I also need to look up AED off road, didn't know of them

J

jaymohn

Aug 9, 2019
Cincinnati
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went with AED off road. I liked the fact they used .120 min wall tube, and the side bars angle out in the rear to move you off of a possible tree, rock or dirt rut.
Anyone have a link to AED off road? I can't find their website.

Great thread as I too need to order sliders and want to get the best.
Thanks.
Justin

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've got the AED Off-Road Fabrication tree kickers on my machine as well and I'm very pleased with them.

I primarily ride wooded trails and trail systems down in the Tennessee/Kentucky areas so I prefer a tree kicker (literally for pivoting the machine off of trees and lateral impacts) as opposed to a rock slider design (more useful for downward impacts on rocks and sliding the machine over obstacles) for my riding style.

Here's a good look at them in some pictures:
IMG 2440 IMG 2548 IMG 0607 IMG 0610 IMG 0611 IMG 0612 IMG 0613 IMG 2440 IMG 2548

strubby

strubby

Jan 9, 2020
Central FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Has anyone successfully used a full skid with integrated sliders and tree kickers? I know it would require modification, but not sure it's possible. Looks like the AED and OEM Honda tree kickers will work as sliders also. Does anyone know if the SATV units will? Hard to tell from the photos. I've ruled out the HMF units because they definitely won't act as rock sliders. Want to add protection first thing on my new R.

The AED's will work for me but would need to trim the rears for 35's. I'm pretty sure someone else on here had to do the same. I'll try to find that post.

J

jaymohn

Aug 9, 2019
Cincinnati
Ownership

1. Talon X
Has anyone successfully used a full skid with integrated sliders and tree kickers? I know it would require modification, but not sure it's possible. Looks like the AED and OEM Honda tree kickers will work as sliders also. Does anyone know if the SATV units will? Hard to tell from the photos. I've ruled out the HMF units because they definitely won't act as rock sliders. Want to add protection first thing on my new R.

The AED's will work for me but would need to trim the rears for 35's. I'm pretty sure someone else on here had to do the same. I'll try to find that post.
I have the same question. Jason,
How much did the kickers cost you? I contacted them but they have not gotten back to me.

strubby

strubby

Jan 9, 2020
Central FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
How much did the kickers cost you? I contacted them but they have not gotten back to me.

They're $320 plus shipping, around $397 to my door. They said no problem on modifying mine for clearance of the larger tires and are putting 7 sets into production next week. Now's a good time to order. This is the route I'm going.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

@strubby is correct. I paid $320 for mine, but I actually met David (owner of AED) en route to Brimstone last Spring instead of paying shipping since he's located in the Corbin, Kentucky area and I could pass right through there on my way.

I installed them in about 20 minutes at camp when I arrived, but I had my skid plate trimmed/prepped so all I had to do was bolt them on.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
We should get together for a ride. We both live in Indiana, and both seem to ride the same trails. I usually ride TWRA, Brimstone, Black Mountain, and Hatfield.

I've got the AED Off-Road Fabrication tree kickers on my machine as well and I'm very pleased with them.

I primarily ride wooded trails and trail systems down in the Tennessee/Kentucky areas so I prefer a tree kicker (literally for pivoting the machine off of trees and lateral impacts) as opposed to a rock slider design (more useful for downward impacts on rocks and sliding the machine over obstacles) for my riding style.

Reactions: Hometeam and jasond
J

jaymohn

Aug 9, 2019
Cincinnati
Ownership

1. Talon X
We should get together for a ride. We both live in Indiana, and both seem to ride the same trails. I usually ride TWRA, Brimstone, Black Mountain, and Hatfield.
I live in NKY and ride all those trails. Ever been to Wildcat or Rush?
I'd be down for a group ride although my friends and I are pretty rowdy.

Reactions: Hometeam
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Sent you a PM to discuss.

Kevinka1977

Kevinka1977

Dec 31, 2018
Washington
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon X

Here's a good look at them in some pictures:
View attachment 176480 View attachment 176481 View attachment 176482 View attachment 176483 View attachment 176484 View attachment 176485 View attachment 176486 View attachment 176487 View attachment 176488
Do you like the upper doors? Do they go on and off easily?

Reactions: Montecresto
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!