TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I don't recall if it was a tow ball shank that failed, or a tow strap jerked like a kinetic rope, but years ago, I believe in India, a youth was violently hit in the side of his head and instantly killed outright. Pretty graphic.

But when you're winching or using a kinetic strap to recover and vehicle... Lookie loos and curious bystanders are attracted to the kill zone like moths to flame. You must make them get back because things fail and it happens fast. No matter if it's a full sized vehicle or an ATV or SxS.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Same thing happened here in our community. Father was using a truck to try and pull a backhoe out that was stuck and some portion of the hitch failed and struck the son on the backhoe and killed him. Had another instance here where some guys were mud bogging and one got stuck. Hooked a large snatch rope to the vehicle and something broke and killed one of them. Tragic.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I don't recall if it was a tow ball shank that failed, or a tow strap jerked like a kinetic rope, but years ago, I believe in India, a youth was violently hit in the side of his head and instantly killed outright. Pretty graphic.

But when you're winching or using a kinetic strap to recover and vehicle... Lookie loos and curious bystanders are attracted to the kill zone like moths to flame. You must make them get back because things fail and it happens fast. No matter if it's a full sized vehicle or an ATV or SxS.
Always good to throw out a reminder to some and education to others. Thank you sir for sharing.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
One of the best things to do is lay something on the cable or rope. A sweatshirt, jacket, towel, etc will absorb that kenetic energy and keep it from whipping.
Full agreement right here! Seems almost stupid but it works. We do that same thing on the frame rack pulling on vehicles, drooping a chain around the pull chain or even a big welding blanket. I’ve seen things break both ways and it’s drastically less violent wrapped. Kinda just falls to the floor.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the best things to do is lay something on the cable or rope. A sweatshirt, jacket, towel, etc will absorb that kenetic energy and keep it from whipping.
That's why I've switched to synthetic rope, soft shackles, and synthetic snatch blocks.

Watch attempts, even 10 pound bags vs safety straps to stop flying broken straps.

I feel very safe with kinetic ropes now

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMO it comes down to using the mush between your ears.

Chains on the end of a rope is a bad idea.
Getting a 4 mile running start is a bad idea.
A shovel is a good tool and can take immense loading off the pulling rope. Just taking the leading few feet in front of the tires out makes a huge difference.

B

bs4u00

Mar 6, 2019
WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMO it comes down to using the mush between your ears.

Chains on the end of a rope is a bad idea.
Getting a 4 mile running start is a bad idea.
A shovel is a good tool and can take immense loading off the pulling rope. Just taking the leading few feet in front of the tires out makes a huge difference.
Vikes79, what do you mean when you say: A shovel is a good tool and can take immense loading off the pulling rope. Just taking the leading few feet in front of the tires out makes a huge difference.

Reactions: Vikes79
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Vikes79, what do you mean when you say: A shovel is a good tool and can take immense loading off the pulling rope. Just taking the leading few feet in front of the tires out makes a huge difference.
I can answer that - when the tires are pushing dirt/mud/sand - dig out in front of them so they have a cleared path.

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
Years ago was involved with trying to pull a 150HP John Deere tractor out with another just like it using chains. the chain snapped and whipped at the pulling tractor. Luckily it was a cab tractor and the cab took the hit. Tore the cab up but the driver was unhurt just scared *&^$%less. As stated it happens instantly. Why when I installed my winch it was synthetic rope. Much safer but still requires caution.

C

cekkk

Jan 18, 2020
Nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Had a case long ago where a crew moving a 40? ton tire press rigged the wire rope incorrectly. It snapped when load increased and took off the top of a workers skull. Fortunately or unfortunately he lived.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can answer that - when the tires are pushing dirt/mud/sand - dig out in front of them so they have a cleared path.

Exactly!

The mud in my area is this really heavy duty sod mix. When you get stuck its often because the rig dropped straight down and the sod no longer supports the rig.

If you hook up a tow strap in that condition, the towing rig must pull the stuck vehicle up and forward at the same time. By shoveling a triangular wedge out in front of all four tires, the pulling rig and rope only see half the load and the pulling force is much more effective. It also helps to break any suction that might be on the tires.

I usually have a folding shovel with me for this reason.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!