P1000 New 1000-5 deluxe. need advice

Bocifus

Bocifus

Jun 5, 2019
N. California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
bought the 2018 deluxe.

I ride this thing rough, A lot of light gravel, trail, and hard dirt.
Thinking about some light truck tires. stockers wear way fast. thinkin of these
STI HD7 Smoke 14" UTV Wheels on 28" Mongrel for $912 shipped. Good deal? ebay is location.
Also the HL 2.5 for the clearance.
Will I need wheel spacers with this setup?
Is this setup good for a budget?
Thx

Reactions: Remington and sharp
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well I have 28in tires on 15 inch wheels. On my second machine with this set up. You do not need a lift and it will ride rougher with it added. Clearance is not an issue. If you ride rough terrain it's going to be much rougher with the LT tires on 15s.

I bought this set up because of the regular utv tires wearing out so fast and the terrain in Iowa just isnt that rough. LT tires have taken me everywhere I want to go they just ride stiffer.

Jtw is right. Before my next trail riding trip to the mountains I will be getting some 28 inch tires on 12 inch beadlocks. In my mind it should be similar feel to the guys with 14in wheels and 30s (aside from tire approach angle) but you need different A Arms for that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well I have 28in tires on 14 inch wheels. On my second machine with this set up. You do not need a lift and it will ride rougher with it added. Clearance is not an issue. If you ride rough terrain it's going to be much rougher with the LT tires on 14s.

I bought this set up because of the regular utv tires wearing out so fast and the terrain in Iowa just isnt that rough. LT tires have taken me everywhere I want to go they just ride stiffer.

Jtw is right. Before my next trail riding trip to the mountains I will be getting some 28 inch tires on 12 inch beadlocks. In my mind it should be similar feel to the guys with 14in wheels and 30s (aside from tire approach angle) but you need different A Arms for that.

May I ask what wheels and tires you have? Spacers? I'm in the market for new tires and I want to go the automotive tire route because they are much cheaper and I think they'll last longer on pavement. My Terrabites have been good to me but after 6,500 miles, the fronts are completely worn out and the rears are literally coming apart at the seams. (Leaks where the two halves of the tire are melded together). I don't think automotive tires are manufactured this way. Thanks.

Bocifus

Bocifus

Jun 5, 2019
N. California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I have 28in tires on 14 inch wheels. On my second machine with this set up. You do not need a lift and it will ride rougher with it added. Clearance is not an issue. If you ride rough terrain it's going to be much rougher with the LT tires on 14s.

So If I go 28's I will not need a lift? No spacers either? 28x7x14

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting, but the tallest in this bunch (besides the Terrabites and other ATV tires), is 21". A 255/70 r 14 is right at 28" tall x 10" wide. Unfortunately, that size doesn't exist.

Ummm correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the "r14" on the end suggest that would fit better in a 14 inch wheel? :p

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wheel spacers do add stability and stance! I personally have them on mine. and yes I also sell them. but that is a preference thing and I don't like the tippy feeling.

Reactions: Remington
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
May I ask what wheels and tires you have? Spacers? I'm in the market for new tires and I want to go the automotive tire route because they are much cheaper and I think they'll last longer on pavement. My Terrabites have been good to me but after 6,500 miles, the fronts are completely worn out and the rears are literally coming apart at the seams. (Leaks where the two halves of the tire are melded together). I don't think automotive tires are manufactured this way. Thanks.
I have maxxis buckshot mudder 2 in 235/75-15 on STI HD wheels. I love them and I ride a lot of roads between property and they are great. I bet you will easily get 10k miles on a set. Hell they last 40k on a truck. I have 1inch spacers on rear to keep everything straight.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
To clarify I said I have 14inch wheels but meant to say i have 15s. Having 15 really opens up the options for LT tires. But they certainly ride rougher. I'm getting 28inch tires on 12 inch rims for trail riding

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So If I go 28's I will not need a lift? No spacers either? 28x7x14
I think everyone agrees that a tire that MEASURES 28 inches is basically the max without modifications.

If you get rims that are all the same like 5+2 you will need a 1 inch spacer in the rear to keep the tires on the same track. I believe mine are RB3.

If you want bigger than 28" tires you need forward offset A Arms. The front tires have enough height clearance but they need more clearance at the back of the tire.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
. 45a627a2db72d6a8fead3edf24c35f87

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’m gona add to the confusion lol. #1 you can’t go wrong with the info @Cuoutdoors has about LT tires, that’s why I went that route. Now for confusion central. Well not really. So I’ve had 15” wheels (non beadlocks) when I had my Motoclaws and stuck with 15’s (beadlocks) when I went to my 30” Lt tires. Now the difference in ride was amazing. The LT tires ride way softer than UTV tires. Combined with fox shocks now with different springs it’s even better. I love my 15”wheels. Now I confused you lol.

Ok, as for your lift and spacers. I had a lift like yours and yes, you will want some. I ended up for the ride and the look, I went with 2” in the back and 1-1/2” in the front. Otherwise you look pigeon toed lol.
You can keep your stock shocks and just put 2” spacers on it to help with the clearance with your 28’s (that’s what I did before I switched to the lift, then removed the lift and went to SATV arms) confusion again! Sorry. The spacers for your stock shocks is the cheapest easy lift to do for starters and will help your ride a bit and u can get by without spacers if you like.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!