P700 New aftermarket limited slip rear differential

M

Magma

Apr 25, 2020
McHenry
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am building a new billet differential with limited slip posi rear end on a CNC for my honda pioneer 700-4. A drop in, bolt in replacement. Just wondering if there would be any interest In anyone buying this unit in the aftermarket? Also what would people be willing to pay for something like this? This unit would obviously be high quality and very durable. I wouldn't sell until It had serious durability test done.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am building a new billet differential with limited slip posi rear end on a CNC for my honda pioneer 700-4. A drop in, bolt in replacement. Just wondering if there would be any interest In anyone buying this unit in the aftermarket? Also what would people be willing to pay for something like this? This unit would obviously be high quality and very durable. I wouldn't sell until It had serious durability test done.
Why would you want to take a step backwards in the rear end?

Now if you're talking about building a locking and unlocking type differential, that's something people have been asking for. AKA turf mode.

M

Magma

Apr 25, 2020
McHenry
Ownership

1. 700-4
Why would you want to take a step backwards in the rear end?

Now if you're talking about building a locking and unlocking type differential, that's something people have been asking for. AKA turf mode.
This is not a step backward. A solid " locked" rearend is not as versatile as a posi locking rearend. A posi unit is the best of both worlds without all the drivability issues with an open rearend and the issues of a locked rearend. (Like turning issues on pavement and grass) Unless you are rock climbing or doing something like that you really shouldn't need the rearend locked all the time. My differential would be strong and used more for working utvs that are in all situations mud, grass, gravel, sand, dirt and towing. My posi / worm gear differential would lock and unlock automatically as needed

Last edited:
M

Magma

Apr 25, 2020
McHenry
Ownership

1. 700-4
This is not a step backward. A solid " locked" rearend is not as versatile as a posi locking rearend. A posi unit is the best of both worlds without all the drivability issues with an open rearend and the issues of a locked rearend. (Like turning issues on pavement and grass) Unless you are rock climbing or doing something like that you really shouldn't need the rearend locked all the time. My differential would be strong and used more for working utvs that are in all situations mud, grass, gravel, sand, dirt and towing.
I also posted a video on how this differential will work please watch

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
This is not a step backward. A solid " locked" rearend is not as versatile as a posi locking rearend. A posi unit is the best of both worlds without all the drivability issues with an open rearend and the issues of a locked rearend. (Like turning issues on pavement and grass) Unless you are rock climbing or doing something like that you really shouldn't need the rearend locked all the time. My differential would be strong and used more for working utvs that are in all situations mud, grass, gravel, sand, dirt and towing. My posi / worm gear differential would lock and unlock automatically as needed
This is nonsense.
A "limited slip" rear end has most of the problems of a locker without the advantages. Various vehicles have come with limited slip rear ends over the years. Hard core off roaders replace them with locking diffs of some sort for a reason.

Again, a manually locking diff (like an ARB air locker, or e locker) is something people have ask for to prevent damage to grass and tire wear on pavement. Building anything else is pointless.

M

Magma

Apr 25, 2020
McHenry
Ownership

1. 700-4
This is nonsense.
A "limited slip" rear end has most of the problems of a locker without the advantages. Various vehicles have come with limited slip rear ends over the years. Hard core off roaders replace them with locking diffs of some sort for a reason.

Again, a manually locking diff (like an ARB air locker, or e locker) is something people have ask for to prevent damage to grass and tire wear on pavement. Building anything else is pointless.
This is not nonsense. It just not for the "hard core off roader" the hard core off roader doesn't care about tearing up the yard or slinging a little mud. I get that. This is a solution to the problems guys who use their utv for working around the farm or their properties and who drive it on streets. On an added note the way this rearend is designed and how strong it is, it wouldn't be all that hard to add an electronic locker to it. not that it would be needed in my opinion if you understand how a worm gear diff works. Dg rider this may not be for you thanks for looking and your feedback.

Last edited:
M

Magma

Apr 25, 2020
McHenry
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here you go...

I've tried that I'm looking for a better option. It does keep the grass from getting tore up but It also causes high speed driveability issues and you need to have a feather touch on the gas pedal becuase of the 1 wheel peel out. Plus you have to get out to lock and unlock. Where a worm gear diff would do it automatically. But it is an option for some people. Ty for your post and video

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
TheTorsen differential traction bias ratio is ~ 3:1 according to JTEKT data.
So the wheel with low traction still needs to contribute somthing in order to transfer torque to the other wheel.
Just for comparison, the suretrac LSD applied to the p1k and the front diff of many older non-locking Honda ATVs can transfer 7:1.
So let's be generous and say it has the potential to work the same as the p1k in turf mode.

Now the question is how to fit all the stuff in to the very narrow rear final housing on the p700?
I'll be interested to see that.

M

Magma

Apr 25, 2020
McHenry
Ownership

1. 700-4
TheTorsen differential traction bias ratio is ~ 3:1 according to JTEKT data.
So the wheel with low traction still needs to contribute somthing in order to transfer torque to the other wheel.
Just for comparison, the suretrac LSD applied to the p1k and the front diff of many older non-locking Honda ATVs can transfer 7:1.
So let's be generous and say it has the potential to work the same as the p1k in turf mode.

Now the question is how to fit all the stuff in to the very narrow rear final housing on the p700?
I'll be interested to see that.
Fitting all this into a small package and still being strong is definitely something that has been a challenge. We are not 100 % there without including a shorter axle yet. But we are looking at one option where we could reuse stock axles.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!