BOX1

NEW BIGGER GAS TANK

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would love to have a bigger tank for the P1K, but ...... dang ........ $400+ is a bit much for just a few gal. more!!
In many cases, it means I don't have to carry a spare tank. There are some safety issues with spare cans and I love the idea of 170 mile range or so. I agree I shouldn't have to pay $400 for a frickin tank, Honda should have got it right in the first place!

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Why would you need a bigger tank ? I’ve been out riding all day long and used less than 1/2 tank. Excellent on fuel.
Just curious, what kind of gas mileage you are getting. I get 16-17 mpg trails, 14 mpg low gear climbing. My RZR had a 9.5 gallon tank, the new ones have 12 gallon tanks. Honda 7.2?

Last edited:
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
A rotopax 3 gallon is only $90. I’m leary that, yeah, they made it bigger, but it might not all flow over to where the sender unit can pick it up.
I have the 3 gallon rotopax too. I'll let you know how it works.

Reactions: Biteme
TalonR65

TalonR65

Mar 29, 2020
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
All stock except KWF seperator and R2C air filter. Riding conservative in the low 20s.

Last edited:
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks HavasuDave, Pre ordered my tank today.
Sounds like a July delivery date, which should work out great to get ready for the AZ peace trail ride once the temps start dropping and then on to Utah around labor day.
This is going to really help as the Talon is not really that fuel efficient and we go on long camp on the trail rides and have always carried fuel to go 300 plus miles between fill ups.... DRK

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's available in the natural color so you can see the fuel level. I have the same on my dirt bike and love being able to see the actual fuel level - sure we have a fuel gauge but it's not the same. For me, this will make the $400 :oops: more palatable. I'll end up with one sooner than later - thanks for posting the link. #beers

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
When it comes to fuel usage or tank size in a days ride. (TalonR65)
Not everyone's day rides are the same mileage and terrain type.
I am a volunteer for AZ Game & Fish, and check water catchments in four mountain ranges which is a 234 mile trip if I do it in a one days ride.
But I normally break it down to a two day ride which increases the distance since I have to cover some of the same ground twice.
My last water check, I made 127.4 miles when I ran out of fuel in 4 hours. ( 4 hrs not a days ride)

My Talon tank holds a little over 8 gal. as I have modified it to hold extra fuel by putting a vent hole in the fuel opening down tube.
I do carry extra fuel in cans, but would like to have the stock tank to be able to help out.
I think Honda short changed us on fuel capacity when you compare to other UTV's.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
My Talon tank holds a little over 8 gal. as I have modified it to hold extra fuel by putting a vent hole in the fuel opening down tube.

Could you go into this in a little more detail? I wouldn't mind just a little bit more capacity without spending several hundred dollars on a new tank. I already carry a 2 gallon RotoPax fuel container.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Could you go into this in a little more detail? I wouldn't mind just a little bit more capacity without spending several hundred dollars on a new tank. I already carry a 2 gallon RotoPax fuel container.
Hmmm, I think I can speak to this. I've always filled my tanks right to the top but noticed the Talon wouldn't allow that, fuel kept backing up before the fuel was at the top because of that inlet pipe that sticks down about 3" trapping an air bubble. If 'we' drill a vent hole (1/2"?) at the top of that tube, right below the cap's gasket, we'll eliminate that trapped air bubble, allowing a higher fill level. You go first. 🤭 Let us know how you trap the drilled chips. 🤔 I'd normally use a hot poker to melt a hole but that's a REALLY bad idea in this application. :eek:

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

Hmmm, I think I can speak to this. I've always filled my tanks right to the top but noticed the Talon wouldn't allow that, fuel kept backing up before the fuel was at the top because of that inlet pipe that sticks down about 3" trapping an air bubble. If 'we' drill a vent hole (1/2"?) at the top of that tube, right below the cap's gasket, we'll eliminate that trapped air bubble, allowing a higher fill level. You go first. 🤭 Let us know how you trap the drilled chips. 🤔 I'd normally use a hot poker to melt a hole but that's a REALLY bad idea in this application. :eek:

Be careful overfilling the tank, the extended fill neck is there for a reason. It is to suppress you from filling the tank too much. I used to fill, shake, burp, add, shake, burp, add, etc and get as much as I could in the tank but I no longer do that.

When it is full like that and you go ride bumpy or wild or dunes, it can fill the cab with VERY strong fuel vapors to the point it smells like you have a fuel leak. I think it was actually pushing liquid fuel into the frame. Not always but it did it too many times for my liking.

Once I realized what was causing it, I stopped that fill up practice (about 2000 miles ago) and have never had the gas smell again.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
how difficult is tank replacement? Besides belly protector and pump wiring stuff, is it an easy project?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
From the service manual...

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!