Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Several people have alluded to this but as far as straight line times vs comparable HP machines, if the 50% faster shift is legit, that has to make a significant difference in drag times.

I have found on bikes that I've owned throughout the years that WHERE you make your power is maybe more important than how much you make- of course a limit to that exists.

If you've ever test-driven and f150 with a 5.0 and then driven one with a 3.5 turbo u get it. The numbers aren't all that different, but the 3.5 makes all of its power much lower than the RPM range. Makes it feel completely different.
Which is why the new Raptor has the 3.5 in it now. If i get another F150 ill go for the 3.5 over the 5.0 because of what you stated.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which is why the new Raptor has the 3.5 in it now. If i get another F150 ill go for the 3.5 over the 5.0 because of what you stated.

Three things kept me from going with a 3.5:

1. It doesn't sound the same.
2. it hadn't been out long enough when I got my truck to know the long-term durability and turbos are not cheap to replace.

And most importantly...

3. I kept reading if you put a bigger wheel tire package on it you would constantly be in the turbo and the gas mileage was actually worse than the same setup with the 5.0. It took me a couple of years to justify the money, but I knew my redneck ass would HAVE to have some big tires eventually :D:D:D

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. it hadn't been out long enough when I got my truck to know the long-term durability and turbos are not cheap to replace.

And most importantly...

3. I kept reading if you put a bigger wheel tire package on it you would constantly be in the turbo and the gas mileage was actually worse than the same setup with the 5.0. It took me a couple of years to justify the money, but I knew my redneck ass would HAVE to have some big tires eventually :D:D:D

@joeymt33 should chime in on the 3.5EB he’s the one that convinced me to go EcoBoost.

We are about to have 3 EcoBoosts when I pickup an F150.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

And most importantly...

I’m on my second company truck with the 3.5 eco-boost. They have been extremely reliable motors for me. My father has one and my brother still has his 2011 model. Both of mine were tuned and so was my brothers.

My tires are 10 ply and just a hair over 34 inches tall. I have a 2 inch lift with the front air dam removed and I’m always caring five or 600 pounds of tools and parts in the back. I drive about 50,000 miles a year and it’s no problem to get over 20 miles to the gallon with my set up. I know it would do better if I didn’t opt for the bigger tires and lift. My tires are 10 ply and just a hair over 34 inches tall. I have a 2 inch lift with the front air dam removed and I’m always caring five or 600 pounds of tools and parts in the back. I drive about 50,000 miles a year and it’s no problem to get over 20 miles to the gallon with my set up. I know it would do better if I didn’t opt for the bigger tires and lift.

I’m also pulling a company trailer all over the southeast as well. Just over the next three weeks I will have about 40 hours of towing with a large enclosed trailer. I know that my next vehicle will be another eco-boost 3.5 because I have fallen in love with this motor.

As far as fuel mileage, it is true that when the turbos are building boost it uses fuel more quickly but if you drive it conservatively and just two or 3 miles over the speed limit it will do very good. This Picture is from this week on a trip where I was fully loaded in the bed and had to put more tools and parts in the back seats but I was on a long drive to a customers location where most of the roads allowed me to only travel about 60 or 62 miles an hour in the 55 mph speed limit.

750d9a921630d7771616e06c2e18ed80

This trip included a lot of stop and go traffic through the cities and not shutting it off in the drive-through or at the gas station.

The only complaint I have about the motor is for uses a 205° thermostat which keeps the truck running at about 210°. I put in 170° thermostat and keeps the truck a lot cooler when towing.

My father traded in his 5.0 on the eco-boost he has now. It was a good motor and a pleasure to drive because the sound is really good but it’s lack of low-end torque reared its ugly head every time we hooked up to the trailer with the tractors or hauling anything else.

9d0a10c1b14408266f11a885acc8eecd

9121e454afefededbab563043cc7d716

2017 with the max tow package and heavy springs in the rear.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just made an hour and a half round-trip this evening with the cruise control set at 60 and did 23.1 without as heavy as the load as when I’m working. I’m very satisfied with that

Last edited:
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m on my second company truck with the 3.5 eco-boost. They have been extremely reliable motors for me. My father has one and my brother still has his 2011 model. Both of mine were tuned and so was my brothers.

My tires are 10 ply and just a hair over 34 inches tall. I have a 2 inch lift with the front air dam removed and I’m always caring five or 600 pounds of tools and parts in the back. I drive about 50,000 miles a year and it’s no problem to get over 20 miles to the gallon with my set up. I know it would do better if I didn’t opt for the bigger tires and lift. My tires are 10 ply and just a hair over 34 inches tall. I have a 2 inch lift with the front air dam removed and I’m always caring five or 600 pounds of tools and parts in the back. I drive about 50,000 miles a year and it’s no problem to get over 20 miles to the gallon with my set up. I know it would do better if I didn’t opt for the bigger tires and lift.

I’m also pulling a company trailer all over the southeast as well. Just over the next three weeks I will have about 40 hours of towing with a large enclosed trailer. I know that my next vehicle will be another eco-boost 3.5 because I have fallen in love with this motor.

As far as fuel mileage, it is true that when the turbos are building boost it uses fuel more quickly but if you drive it conservatively and just two or 3 miles over the speed limit it will do very good. This Picture is from this week on a trip where I was fully loaded in the bed and had to put more tools and parts in the back seats but I was on a long drive to a customers location where most of the roads allowed me to only travel about 60 or 62 miles an hour in the 55 mph speed limit.

View attachment 116419

This trip included a lot of stop and go traffic through the cities and not shutting it off in the drive-through or at the gas station.

The only complaint I have about the motor is for uses a 205° thermostat which keeps the truck running at about 210°. I put in 170° thermostat and keeps the truck a lot cooler when towing.

My father traded in his 5.0 on the eco-boost he has now. It was a good motor and a pleasure to drive because the sound is really good but it’s lack of low-end torque reared its ugly head every time we hooked up to the trailer with the tractors or hauling anything else.

View attachment 116420

View attachment 116421

2017 with the max tow package and heavy springs in the rear.
That's a sharp truck!

I will admit the 5.0 does not care for the 20ft carhauler loaded with the pioneer and a couple of Foremans. But I didn't pull too much when I first got it, so that wasn't a consideration.

How many miles have you put on one without turbo issues??

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's a sharp truck!

I will admit the 5.0 does not care for the 20ft carhauler loaded with the pioneer and a couple of Foremans. But I didn't pull too much when I first got it, so that wasn't a consideration.

How many miles have you put on one without turbo issues??

Company dictates vehicle turn over but 120k first time. Already over 65k on this one. My brothers is a 2011 with 110ish I believe.

Not saying it’s the best out there. I’d just about buy a ram due to the cheaper price.

I just searched the turbo price and they are under $400. Looks easy to change as they are visible thru the wheel wells. They are oil lubed and water cooled so that probably helps longevity.

I’d love to have the 5.0 with a mild super charger on it. They can handle tons of power but just bump it up 70hp or so and it would be an awesome everyday work vehicle maybe. Idk, I don’t have much experience with superchargers and towing.

I don’t have a pic of the current truck with the company trailer though it’s hauled 3 loads already this March. Here it is on the 2014 truck. 8.5’ wide and 9.5’ tall. Mileage is about 7-11mpg when towing this at 70 or 55. My coworker with a powerstroke gets under 10 when he pulls it.
480247749c6e1e76721cedcdd937e88e

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Company dictates vehicle turn over but 120k first time. Already over 65k on this one. My brothers is a 2011 with 110ish I believe.

Not saying it’s the best out there. I’d just about buy a ram due to the cheaper price.

I just searched the turbo price and they are under $400. Looks easy to change as they are visible thru the wheel wells. They are oil lubed and water cooled so that probably helps longevity.

I’d love to have the 5.0 with a mild super charger on it. They can handle tons of power but just bump it up 70hp or so and it would be an awesome everyday work vehicle maybe. Idk, I don’t have much experience with superchargers and towing.

I don’t have a pic of the current truck with the company trailer though it’s hauled 3 loads already this March. Here it is on the 2014 truck. 8.5’ wide and 9.5’ tall. Mileage is about 7-11mpg when towing this at 70 or 55. My coworker with a powerstroke gets under 10 when he pulls it.
View attachment 116438

I

View attachment 116438

That's not too shabby. I'm always hovering around 10mpg pulling our 2500lb car hauler + Pioneer +/- 2 four-wheelers. 35x12.5, 2 inch level- left the wind jammer (not sure it does much). It's too much trailer for just the Pioneer but nice for taking other things along. Someday I'll break down and buy a little 10-12ft for solo trips, but I figure I can justify a lot of trips with a few less mpg for the ~1200 that would cost me.

Anyhow way off track here- oops!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Y'all got anymore of those Talon action shots?!? :cool::cool::cool:

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I

That's not too shabby. I'm always hovering around 10mpg pulling our 2500lb car hauler + Pioneer +/- 2 four-wheelers. 35x12.5, 2 inch level- left the wind jammer (not sure it does much). It's too much trailer for just the Pioneer but nice for taking other things along. Someday I'll break down and buy a little 10-12ft for solo trips, but I figure I can justify a lot of trips with a few less mpg for the ~1200 that would cost me.

Anyhow way off track here- oops!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Y'all got anymore of those Talon action shots?!? :cool::cool::cool:

Cafdaaf6b448f670c308409c48d03cb2
I love my ecoboost. Tuned it after I lifted it and I’m back up to 17-19 mph per tank now just average driving around. Some highway some city. It’s got power for days. Turbos are the future...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
View attachment 116461
I love my ecoboost. Tuned it after I lifted it and I’m back up to 17-19 mph per tank now just average driving around. Some highway some city. It’s got power for days. Turbos are the future...

Turbos were the past too. Owned countless since 88. Currently have 4, kids another 3. Big fan, pun intended. Most will last the duration of what most keep a new vehicle and if they are treated right at start up and shut down they will last a Lifetime.

Last edited:
my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R

View attachment 116438

What tuner did you go with?

Reactions: Farmer
C

Calhoun

Apr 14, 2016
Michigan
I work on the eco boost all the time, timing chains and turbos! Trust me turbos are not the future! Electric is the future and its coming faster then you think.

Reactions: Plumber32
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What tuner did you go with?

I had the edge CTS2 at first. It’s junk. Edge could never fix or get it to work right. They claimed it was my truck with the problem but I tried it on my fathers and a coworkers truck and had the same problems.

They took it back and sent a Diablo Sport Trinity 2 and it’s ok but still has issues.

I used to use 5 star custom tuning with a SCT past, Not sure why I changed. My next time will be with 5 star’s great customer service and superior products. I had no idea it was this bad out there among the other tuning companies.

On my YouTube channel I recently uploaded a short video on each if you care to hear more about those two.

Last edited:
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As the name implies lol.

So I've got 80k on my 2014 F150 5.0 and she's to that point where I either need to:

1. Sell while shes still worth 20k+ and get something else or
2. Drive her til she blows.

As I mentioned in the other thread: held off on an EcoBoost because of concerns for the turbos/realability and cost to fix.

Sounds like everyone loves the power, so a few more questions about some of these newer half ton fords @joeymt33 and @nbomar and @whoeverelsehasone

1. What did you spend on your tune? Sent it out somewhere or just buy a plug in unit?
2. What additional maintenance does a turbo need? @CumminsPusher you mentioned treating them right at on/off...can you explain?
3. You guys that have the new aluminum body....thoughts? I had an 04 expedition in college and the tailgate and hood where aluminum- bubbly as all get out when it was 8-10 years old. Honestly this has been the biggest thing stopping me from dumping my truck and trading up- the aluminum body scares me.

If these trucks aren't going to have the problem-why? Is there a new coating or finishing process out there I'm not aware of?

Reactions: Farmer
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Turbos were the past too. Owned countless since 88. Currently have 4, kids another 3. Big fan, pun intended. Most will last the duration of what most keep a new vehicle and if they are treated right at start up and shut down they will last a Lifetime.

Haha ... on the one “we” own I will use the remote start as a 10min turbo timer to let it cool down if I have driven it hard or have towed with it. Our driveway is long enough that it gets about 2-3mins of near no load and low RPM to cool by the time it’s shut off in the garage.

Company car I just drive it like any average joe would, they won’t let me do any maintenance on it and I get no benefit of keeping it in perfect condition so I don’t put any extra effort into it.

Wow we have sidetracked this thread. I’ll see if I can clean it up later.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
paint is not going to stick to flexing metal
remember seeing a vid trying to close the tailgate and couldn't when it was on a hill on one side and a tool box tore a hole in it. I wouldn't buy one, add to that I have owned fords too and they skimp where they shouldn't wiring and plastic make it very unreliable compared to the gm and even dodge is better than the 150

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Haha ... on the one “we” own I will use the remote start as a 10min turbo timer to let it cool down if I have driven it hard or have towed with it. Our driveway is long enough that it gets about 2-3mins of near no load and low RPM to cool by the time it’s shut off in the garage.

Company car I just drive it like any average joe would, they won’t let me do any maintenance on it and I get no benefit of keeping it in perfect condition so I don’t put any extra effort into it.

Wow we have sidetracked this thread. I’ll see if I can clean it up later.
Yep the first paragraph is what most people fail to do. Most of my rigs had turbo timers and I’d idle them 30 sec before taking off too. At minimum stay out of boost at takeoff for 30 sec and getting home stay out of throttle at least 45 sec before shutoff. Something about 200000rpm from the turbo and no oil pressure is bad lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!