Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
South Louisiana. There isn't a rock for 300 miles. But we have mud.
Bigger tires. Better Tires. Which tires you choose is a personal thing and there are lots to choose from.
If you can afford arched A-arms I would do it.
Winch is very important. VERY IMPORTANT.
Recovery equipment (not really a modification but just as important)

I would start with these.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
South Louisiana. There isn't a rock for 300 miles. But we have mud.
Bigger tires. Better Tires. Which tires you choose is a personal thing and there are lots to choose from.
If you can afford arched A-arms I would do it.
Winch is very important. VERY IMPORTANT.
Recovery equipment (not really a modification but just as important)

I would start with these.

Thanks for the input Gator but we are looking to go on more trail riding than mud riding. But the winch will come soon. Probably right behind them 2nd battery to push it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rincon
Pmed489

Pmed489

Sep 29, 2017
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a stock 1000-5 with the hard roof so far. Just looking for what mods I need to do and what’s important now verse what can wait. We’re from south Louisiana so looking for mods that would help for our environment. We primarily enjoy trail riding and will be traveling to ride further north most of the time. Deep mud is not our thing. Give me you opinions please.
let me know when you find trails close to us in LA that is what i am looking to do.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the input Gator but we are looking to go on more trail riding than mud riding. But the winch will come soon. Probably right behind them 2nd battery to push it.

let me know when you find trails close to us in LA that is what i am looking to do.

Just came back from MO, made a ride at SMORR's, near Seymore. Great riding. No mud, plenty of rocks and hills!!!

Jstark45xd

Jstark45xd

May 19, 2018
Gabbs, nv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
what is the clutch update? Haven't seen anything on it. I just got mine this last weekend.

Stark Pioneer

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
If yours is new then it probably has the update already. It was something to do with the cooling fins not being big enough and the clutch shifting real hard.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
If yours is new then it probably has the update already. It was something to do with the cooling fins not being big enough and the clutch shifting real hard.

Jstark45xd

Jstark45xd

May 19, 2018
Gabbs, nv
Ownership

1. 1000-5

ok, yeah I just bought a 2018 1K5LE. It looks like has 1 open recall. muffler thing.

Muleyhunter

Muleyhunter

Lifetime Member
Apr 19, 2018
Lake Kiowa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is no intake recall.
Mid year 2017 received a new style intake/diverter under the hood. You would have to buy that out of pocket.
I believe the diverter, plug, push pins are roughly $20-25.

Heat shield aka seat comfort and clutch are not recalls. They are voluntary product improvement campaigns. Which means you can choose whether to have them done or not.
A recall is something you cannot get around. If you machine goes in for service, they will perform the recall. If you choose to remove it, that is on you.
Except my dealer wont do the clutch update because my clutches arent actually slipping. So not a recall but not totally voluntary either. I'm going to give another run at my dealer but I may be searching for another dealer. Which is a shame because the one dealer is so close. The others, not so much.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Except my dealer wont do the clutch update because my clutches arent actually slipping. So not a recall but not totally voluntary either. I'm going to give another run at my dealer but I may be searching for another dealer. Which is a shame because the one dealer is so close. The others, not so much.
Have you received your letter from American Honda yet?
It spells out what they (American Honda) are willing to do. If you have your letter, walk in with it and suggest they follow the test procedure outlined and get the proper parts in for your repair.

Muleyhunter

Muleyhunter

Lifetime Member
Apr 19, 2018
Lake Kiowa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you received your letter from American Honda yet?
It spells out what they (American Honda) are willing to do. If you have your letter, walk in with it and suggest they follow the test procedure outlined and get the proper parts in for your repair.
Yes, I have received my letter but it supports the dealer stance more than mine. It says, "The dealer will inspect your vehicle for No. 1 clutch slipping/damage and, if necessary, install the Clutch Improvement Kit free of charge."
My beef is even though they are not slipping now, they will. And I would rather not burn up the clutches when I'm on my annual mule deer trip to Wyoming, very much remote and off the grid. The rest of the year, very soft riding. Like I said, Im going to give the dealer another shot. Im a little better loaded with facts to argue with, thanks to this forum.

Reactions: elkguide
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I have received my letter but it supports the dealer stance more than mine. It says, "The dealer will inspect your vehicle for No. 1 clutch slipping/damage and, if necessary, install the Clutch Improvement Kit free of charge."
My beef is even though they are not slipping now, they will. And I would rather not burn up the clutches when I'm on my annual mule deer trip to Wyoming, very much remote and off the grid. The rest of the year, very soft riding. Like I said, Im going to give the dealer another shot. Im a little better loaded with facts to argue with, thanks to this forum.
Maybe twist the truth a little? Complain about slipping clutches at the end of an 8 hour day/ride. I doubt they will invest 8 hours into driving your machine to replicate the complaint.

Reactions: Muleyhunter
Muleyhunter

Muleyhunter

Lifetime Member
Apr 19, 2018
Lake Kiowa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe twist the truth a little? Complain about slipping clutches at the end of an 8 hour day/ride. I doubt they will invest 8 hours into driving your machine to replicate the complaint.
Not a bad idea. And maybe not even twisting the truth. Seems like I do remember a little harder shifting at the end of the day on last years trip to the Rockies. That was before I discovered this forum and read all about the clutch issues. I probably wouldn't have been so quick to shrug it off and forget about it had I known of the problems. Thanks.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How did the seat heat recall turnout for you?
This is how mine came back. Looks like crap...View attachment 80073

WOW!!!! That's pretty crude work.

Good thing they didn't try and wash it for you.....
imagine how many scratches you would have!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did the seat heat recall turnout for you?
This is how mine came back. Looks like crap...View attachment 80073
that is done incorrectly, everything you see that is inside the red should be under the plastic piece that goes in between the Back and bottom seat. The metal piece I have outlined in Green should be behind it as well.

There are instruction on the site here that show the correct install

Upload 2018 7 2 16 36 11

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From the looks of their work you might be better off doing it yourself.I don't understand why people don't take pride in their work any more

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!