New Member: 500 or 700 Pioneer?

F

fun2drive

Jan 20, 2021
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have a small ranch off the Blue Ridge Parkway which I use my John Deere tractor 1025R to manage the property. But I am planning on a 500 or 700 for running around the place. The tractor is too slow, bucket, backhoe, grapple not intended for running around the place.

What is everyone's opinion? I think the 1000 is too big and not sure if the 700-4 is really needed. Do want the bed in either as it will be used to haul diesel, brush, tools, typical things that you use on a small ranch.

I was planning to drive to South Carolina to visit the volume dealers there as they seem to have the best prices on a 2020 left over. I am happy to drive 500 miles to get a good price too.

Have not been on a Honda machine since the 3 wheels way back in the day and that was for play not work and some play which I need it for now.
Thanks everyone and I plan to immerse myself and get much more knowledgeable about Pioneers.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. If I was just working and not riding any tight trails I would probably go with the 700 but both very nice machines. I especially like the new 520 with dump bed. Not sure what part of the parkway your on but of the best places to shop in my area is Mark IV in Wytheville Va. that guy has good prices and doesn’t play a bunch of games. Also Team Charlotte Is good to deal with. I would stay away from the mega stores like Ride Now, they have ridiculous fees and try to hide them till the end of the transaction. Good luck making your decision I bet it will not be easy lol.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would buy a 500 over 700 any day. Except if I was strictly working it, the 500 is a little tipsy add in little weight in the bed, On hilly terrain not something I would do buy your self a 700 2 seater or 1000 3 seater.

Reactions: Smitty335
F

fun2drive

Jan 20, 2021
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks guys. I appreciate the insight. I hope I get a few more opinions. This will be probably 60% work, 40% play. I live maybe 40 miles down the parkway from the Virginia border in North Carolina and it is very hilly in this area. My ranch is listed as 19% hills and elevation is 3300 ft which makes summers pleasant. I am glad to hear that either the 500 or 700 will work. I have dual wheels on my tractor for stability because the slopes are steep in the pasture area.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks guys. I appreciate the insight. I hope I get a few more opinions. This will be probably 60% work, 40% play. I live maybe 40 miles down the parkway from the Virginia border in North Carolina and it is very hilly in this area. My ranch is listed as 19% hills and elevation is 3300 ft which makes summers pleasant. I am glad to hear that either the 500 or 700 will work. I have dual wheels on my tractor for stability because the slopes are steep in the pasture area.
You gotta be close to Deep Gap/Boone area where I grew up.

700 has bigger bed and more capacity. The 500/520 is a fine machine, but the small size means it's really like a quad with 2 seats. If you had really tight woods, I might say 500/520.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Mississippi. I have a P1000-3 2016 model. We haul feed,hay, 25 gallon electric sprayer, fence building material, saddles, etc. with ours. We also pull our 12x6.5 utility trailer when hauling brush, limbs, pinestraw.The trailer doubles as a hauler for the Zero Turn or sxs behind the truck when needed. Test drive the 500,700 and 1000 before deciding. We love our 1000, if you are turning in your yard it has turf mode which eliminates tearing up the grass.

F

fun2drive

Jan 20, 2021
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My trailer is a 16 ft Big Tex and it is too big to maneuver on my property. But I think physically seeing the machines and testing driving them is the only way to go. I need to keep the budget in mind thinking 12k is my upper limit for this equipment.
Appreciate the input. I think the 1000 is great but too expensive for my budget unless I found one used and not beat up.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Welcome from The Great Lakes State.

It sounds like the 700 is gonna be a little better option for you. Way out the price difference between the 700-2 and 700-4 because you need know when those 2 extra back seats may come in handy.

#NTC

F

fun2drive

Jan 20, 2021
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I appreciate these comments. I still need to drive the 500/ 700 and see what works. I am seeing Big Rock Power Sports and Marine in New Bern has a number of these models and they are not far from me. I think heading over and driving a few next week is my plan.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a small ranch off the Blue Ridge Parkway which I use my John Deere tractor 1025R to manage the property. But I am planning on a 500 or 700 for running around the place. The tractor is too slow, bucket, backhoe, grapple not intended for running around the place.

What is everyone's opinion? I think the 1000 is too big and not sure if the 700-4 is really needed. Do want the bed in either as it will be used to haul diesel, brush, tools, typical things that you use on a small ranch.

I was planning to drive to South Carolina to visit the volume dealers there as they seem to have the best prices on a 2020 left over. I am happy to drive 500 miles to get a good price too.

Have not been on a Honda machine since the 3 wheels way back in the day and that was for play not work and some play which I need it for now.
Thanks everyone and I plan to immerse myself and get much more knowledgeable about Pioneers.
First WELCOME from NW Arkansas, great info here. Buy what you want to afford. We have the P!-5 and love it, the turf mode is great.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Each machine is very different from each other. Both machines are solid in their own way. Do your research. There are tons of threads on this site. 😎

M

menher

Feb 6, 2017
calif.
Ownership

1. 700-4
We had the pioneer 700 4. Ordered the pioneer520. Only got rid of the 700 4 cause could not tow the truck and pioneer behind the motor home. The pioneer 520 fits in the bed of the r a m. We loved the 700 4. If I had your property I would go with the pioneer 700. Or 700 4

Reactions: Mudwing
F

fun2drive

Jan 20, 2021
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks. I have contacted every dealer no one has one in stock. Middle of Florida have found a number of dealers that have 700-4 and 700-4 Deluxe. Looks like my trailer and I will be heading there in a few weeks. Appreciate all the input.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!