P1000m5 New member from Lake County, Ohio

Jaybee1013

Jaybee1013

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
welcome to the club , from summit county Ohio. lots of great people and helpful info. no doubt imho go synthetic much safer it's lighter and if I recall it is higher breaking strength than steel cable (dyneema synthetic ). but you have to swap out roller fairlead for hawse.
Well that’s interesting because I’ve seen some synthetic cable winches that come with rollers. Why are rollers bad for synthetic?
Also, I am still unsure which brand to get. I thought I was sold on a Warn 4500# with the mounting plate and wired remote but I’ve heard other people give positive testimony for other brands?

Reactions: Mudwing and TxDoc
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Put a synthetic KFI winch on my 500, came with roller fairlead. Used on trail and plowed with it for 3 yrs with no issues. Heard about the issue of angled pulls, rope gets wedged in the corner of rollers, so I changed over to the hawse. First season plowing with it snapped the rope. Could've been the rope was getting old? I chose to leave the hawse on there though, tying a knot is less of a problem than having your winch all locked up.

Jaybee1013

Jaybee1013

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I understand the issue with getting caught in the edges of the rollers. In the past I always tried to winch straight on. I know in real world circumstances it’s not always possible but appreciate the real world advice.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just joined and I have not yet received our 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 LE that I am next on the list for. My son in law has a 700-4 so I have a little experience with SxS. We opted for the 1000-5 because a neighbor has one and felt the extra money for the LE was worth it. We were owners of a rancher 400 since 2006, and had NO problems at all so felt staying with Honda was a no brainer. Even though we don’t have the machine yet, we already have accessories here waiting for it’s arrival. We are planning on the dealer installing the ABS roof and flip up windshield. We intend to do the two battery, and winch ourselves.
Does anyone have any pros or cons with the synthetic cable winches? I feel that they might be inferior to SS cable?

Welcome to the club.

In short, ill never own another winch with steel cable. The synthetic is exponentially better. Been using synthetic close to 20 years now.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just joined and I have not yet received our 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 LE that I am next on the list for. My son in law has a 700-4 so I have a little experience with SxS. We opted for the 1000-5 because a neighbor has one and felt the extra money for the LE was worth it. We were owners of a rancher 400 since 2006, and had NO problems at all so felt staying with Honda was a no brainer. Even though we don’t have the machine yet, we already have accessories here waiting for it’s arrival. We are planning on the dealer installing the ABS roof and flip up windshield. We intend to do the two battery, and winch ourselves.
Does anyone have any pros or cons with the synthetic cable winches? I feel that they might be inferior to SS cable?
WELCOME! A lot of very good info here on the Hondas and a lot more BS on every thing else! HA!

Dangb1

Dangb1

Oct 25, 2020
Ogema Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome from the Northwoods, the warn winch I got from the Honda dealer came with synthetic rope on it. Like others I wouldn't go back to steel cable after running the synthetic, I've swapped the steel out on some of the other winches I've had, once the steel gets kinked there's no getting it out.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well that’s interesting because I’ve seen some synthetic cable winches that come with rollers. Why are rollers bad for synthetic?
Also, I am still unsure which brand to get. I thought I was sold on a Warn 4500# with the mounting plate and wired remote but I’ve heard other people give positive testimony for other brands?
risk of rope getting caught in rollers and damaging it or cutting it, I am running terra 45 superwinch with hawse. came with steel cable and roller fairlead but previous owner had put a bad kink in the cable so I switched it over. superwinch is supposed to have bigger and heavier gears, my remote plugs in on the cowl by windshield. guess it's a matter of personal preference and $

Reactions: Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from the mud holes of WNY! I’m running synthetic rope on my wEnch and is by far way safer. The little wires that appear on steel after some use can slice your hands like razor blades if’n you’re not careful. Unless you skid logs, go synthetic. 😎
#ntc🥸

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!