P1000 New owner, shift clunk/thump...

jpgoody98

jpgoody98

Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
Kearney, MO
Owner inputs please, I know you can "hear" the DCT transmissions shift but......

Does anyone get a 'loud" thump/clunk/pop noise when the DCT Transmission shifts gears?? It happens early in the shift, right before you feel it actually shift gears.

I assume it is the shifting solenoid/motor making this noise, but is something out of adjustment to make it so loud? I thought I read somewhere the ATV guys had to adjust there auto's...but not for sure if they where the same DCT type.

It's something I could live with if its "normal"...but man, its loud. Especially if you are in the back seats, its loud enough I had someone ask me if there was something wrong with it.

I'm waiting/hoping for it to get quieter, not too sure yet. It is new, but would hate to take into service already. Outside of this I could not be any happier with this combo machine, in love with it!!!

Reactions: Lady01
A

aquatic1998

Dec 23, 2015
Owner inputs please, I know you can "hear" the DCT transmissions shift but......

Does anyone get a 'loud" thump/clunk/pop noise when the DCT Transmission shifts gears?? It happens early in the shift, right before you feel it actually shift gears.

I assume it is the shifting solenoid/motor making this noise, but is something out of adjustment to make it so loud? I thought I read somewhere the ATV guys had to adjust there auto's...but not for sure if they where the same DCT type.

It's something I could live with if its "normal"...but man, its loud. Especially if you are in the back seats, its loud enough I had someone ask me if there was something wrong with it.

I'm waiting/hoping for it to get quieter, not too sure yet. It is new, but would hate to take into service already. Outside of this I could not be any happier with this combo machine, in love with it!!!
Without actually hearing it ,it's hard to say I can tell you mine makes a pretty descent noise before it shifts and your correct it's the shift motor shifting. If it's really concerning you can go up to the dealer and test drive another see if it's the same. Sorry I'm not more help.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Is it only going slow in 1 gear or you hear this in every gear?

Reactions: Lady01 and KennethE
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
On a low throttle take off it will shift quickly and be in 6th gear at about 28 mph. You will hear the 1st three shifts clunk a bit. Best to compare with another one to see if its normal.

Reactions: Lady01 and adnoh
HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I asked my dealer and he said it was normal it's the shift solenoid. I agree i don't like the noise of it either. So I just crank the wet sounds a little louder.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My P1000 makes the same noise just and automatic version of the sound the P500 makes when you hit the paddle shifter. It the electronics and mechanical stuff doing its thing. You can only hear it so easily because of how quiet the engine & exhaust noise it is in the drivers area, by far the quietest SXS I've ridden in.

jpgoody98

jpgoody98

Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
Kearney, MO
Thanks everyone, it's good to hear it's somewhat normal for the solenoid to be on the loud side.

I payed close attention last night, it has became quieter since new.

And I couldn't agree more that it seems worse since it's such a quiet SxS. At WOT you barley notice, it's loudest during low acceleration shifts.

Thanks again! -Jason

1234Doug

Jan 10, 2019
Bancroft Ont
Ownership

1. 500

Have 100 hours on mine same thing thought somebody was under the machine hitting the floorboard with a hammer every time it went to shift mine is back at the deallers

M

Mshne76

Feb 26, 2021
Lowell, ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have 100 hours on mine same thing thought somebody was under the machine hitting the floorboard with a hammer every time it went to shift mine is back at the deallers
Did you every get yours fixed? Mine was smooth and quiet and I had the dealer do the valves oil change etc. and now mine sounds the same as in your description.

gparks

gparks

Aug 10, 2020
Asheville NC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
added my 2nd battery and it seemed to have made a difference in shift and noise it shift smother and is less noise.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!