P700 New owner tips and/or suggestions?

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
As a new owner of a 2020 700-4 deluxe camo I have so many questions and have been reading threads as much as possible.

I’ve read of bolts being loose or hose clamps being loose on new machines. What should I look for when I pick it up?

Do I need to extend the vent lines on a 2020 or is that just a thing with the older versions?

At what hours or miles do I need to do the first oil change?

This is my first brand new machine of any kind. How do I drive it during the break in process and for how many miles or hours?

Thanks for the replies and I’m sure there are more questions coming.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Check the coolant hose clamps, esp the ones down around the water pump. You may have to remove the skid plate for this. While off, put a dab of anti seize on them, as well as the 3 bolts on the spark arrestor.

If nothing else the gas tank vent hose under the passenger seat. It's really low. The rest can't hurt to do.

1st oil change at 100 miles or 20 hrs. Don't skip the valve adjustment. You will get a wrench on the dash.

I like to heat cycle during 1st several miles, driving for a bit and then letting it cool off. It's ok to let it rev, but avoid prolonged full throttle running or idling for the break in period.

Check the oil by the way the owners manual says, not the way you check your car. It's ok to run it a bit over full.

Expect slipping and odd shifting in cooler weather if you don't let the machine warm up a bit.

Last edited:
FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
My Honda dealer told me it was fine to wait til the 2nd or 3rd oil change to adjust the valves. I haven't messed with it yet based on that. I did an oil change right at 100 miles. I drove the machine not hard or careful but varying. I didn't drive a consistent speed, or rpm. Your goal is to stretch the engine out to its tolerances but not hold them there.

Reactions: Isaiah
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine told me the same thing. A good friend of mine has been a Honda mechanic for 16 years . I changed my own fluids but he checked my valves they were not out of spec. We did them at 600 miles and they were not off much. Could have let it ride. But I will do them again at 1200. I change my oil about every 300 I'm anal about clean oil and air filters. I know not everyone will agree but it works for me and mine is problem free.

FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
If you're willing to pay, no such thing as too careful. If my 2nd oil change is during deer season, I may wait til the 3rd one so I'm not down a machine for a weekend. We will see.

03 Mossy, if you plan on hunting with it, driving it in the woods, I recommend adding the A-arm guards and a better front bumper. You can do the a-arm guards for as low as $150 for all 4. Also if you get the vented windshield, plan on buying the extensions to really get it to open up when you want. Makes a big difference.

I recently went to an ATV park locally and I can say have confidence in what these things will do. They aren't the biggest, or fastest, but they will do it. I took mine up several very tall, steep hills, and it went up like a little billy goat. Just needs a little more ground clearance honestly.

Reactions: livefromthetree
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I agree with FlipKing I bought brackets from PBR and my windshield opens about 3 times as far as with the Honda brackets but I take it off most of the time in summer it.makes the GA heat more bearable. 27s took care of the ground clearance issues and as long as you dont buy something really heavy you'll see o power loss . They are great machines and will get it done.

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Perfect this is the info I needed! Thank you. Yes I will be hunting with it so maybe the A arm guards will get moved up the to do list.

Leaving at 6:30 tomorrow morning to pick it up!!!

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
One of my favorite things to do on ATV’s is climb s***. So one of the first things I did when I got home was to test its climbing in the ditch and dirt pile.

FE4958E8 6926 45C3 ADB8 6BAADF245CD0 78B8F0F0 F7F6 47FB A5DB C1B32106AEAA

FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hills and Hollers in Lumpkin, Ga. Some mud but mostly trails/hills

Reactions: Backwoods
FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
It was decently big. Its a cow farm. Lots of tall hills, a sandy creek bed, and several mud holes. $15 per adult. Kids 12 and under free. We went on a Sunday and there were less than 20 people there. I enjoyed it more than I expected to.

20200621 124607 20200621 124611

JGarner

JGarner

Apr 25, 2020
Silver City NM
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am just like you I just bought a new 1000-5 Vent Line should be high on the list first if you ride around water i sucked water into my the first ride to the river in the fuel tank vent and trans gear box honda puts the vents way to low I found a good kit on Ebay that was cheap enough well worth it and dual battery kit before you start adding to many accessories on your bike and fuse box and ground block will life alot easier.

Reactions: Backwoods
K

KeithinLouisiana

Oct 6, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I changed the oil and filter at about 90 miles. It’s running like a top and starting great so I’m going to wait a little while before checking the valves. Great machine.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!